DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Repair gouge on wooden table edge (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/262928-repair-gouge-wooden-table-edge.html)

Stuart Noble October 18th 08 11:51 AM

Repair gouge on wooden table edge

Kevin wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Farrance wrote:
Hi. I've got a wooden table that's about 20 years old and is in
reasonably good condition except for a gouge about 1 cm across on one
edge (top left of image).

http://i36.tinypic.com/ek1clu.jpg

Can anybody recommend a DIY product that'd do a reasonable repair?

Get some woodfiller, it comes in different colours and pine is
available everywhere.
It blends in quite nicely once set and sanded down....you may have to
sand the entire table down and give it all a coat of clear varnish,
my guess is that it would come up like new.

I'd use a Liberon Wax stick. Easy to just rub it across the damaged
area and, unlike some fillers, you know in advance how good a colour
match it'll be

will wax work in a dent?? I can understand a scratch being filled with it

I've filled knot holes with it, and your dent looks about the same sort
of size. In fact, if you use a dark shade, it even looks like a knot,
which might be easier than trying to match that elusive pale pine colour.

Lobster October 18th 08 03:50 PM

Dave Farrance wrote:
Hi. I've got a wooden table that's about 20 years old and is in
reasonably good condition except for a gouge about 1 cm across on one
edge (top left of image).

Your best bet might be to steam-treat it with a steam iron, which swells
the wood fibres... never actually tried it myself but I'm told it can
give excellent results

David

Phil L October 18th 08 04:08 PM

Dave Farrance wrote:
Hi. I've got a wooden table that's about 20 years old and is in
reasonably good condition except for a gouge about 1 cm across on one
edge (top left of image).

http://i36.tinypic.com/ek1clu.jpg

Can anybody recommend a DIY product that'd do a reasonable repair?

Get some woodfiller, it comes in different colours and pine is available
everywhere.
It blends in quite nicely once set and sanded down....you may have to sand
the entire table down and give it all a coat of clear varnish, my guess is
that it would come up like new.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

[email protected] October 18th 08 05:44 PM

Repair gouge on wooden table edge

Steaming good. Wet, wrung-out tea towel, hot iron - let the steam
sizzle for a good few seconds - repeat as necessary until you've
lifted out all you can.

Works best on surface dings and compression type damage.

If it still needs filling, Brummer is the product used by most cabinet
makers:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Fillers-206896.htm

You can also blend sawdust of the right colour with a glue like
cascamite to make up a matching filler.

Stuart Noble October 18th 08 06:43 PM

wrote:
Steaming good. Wet, wrung-out tea towel, hot iron - let the steam
sizzle for a good few seconds - repeat as necessary until you've
lifted out all you can.

Works best on surface dings and compression type damage.

If it still needs filling, Brummer is the product used by most cabinet
makers:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Fillers-206896.htm

You can also blend sawdust of the right colour with a glue like
cascamite to make up a matching filler.

Brummer is basically clay, which IMO is not really flexible enough for
an exposed edge. It would probably behave like a loose knot.

Kevin October 18th 08 07:59 PM

stuart noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Farrance wrote:
Hi. I've got a wooden table that's about 20 years old and is in
reasonably good condition except for a gouge about 1 cm across on one
edge (top left of image).

http://i36.tinypic.com/ek1clu.jpg

Can anybody recommend a DIY product that'd do a reasonable repair?

Get some woodfiller, it comes in different colours and pine is
available everywhere.
It blends in quite nicely once set and sanded down....you may have to
sand the entire table down and give it all a coat of clear varnish, my
guess is that it would come up like new.

I'd use a Liberon Wax stick. Easy to just rub it across the damaged area
and, unlike some fillers, you know in advance how good a colour match
it'll be

will wax work in a dent?? I can understand a scratch being filled with it

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

[email protected] October 18th 08 08:15 PM

Repair gouge on wooden table edge

Brummer is basically clay, which IMO is not really flexible enough for
an exposed edge. It would probably behave like a loose knot.

Fair point.

John October 18th 08 09:44 PM

"Kevin" wrote in message
stuart noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Farrance wrote:
[...]

Can't you plane the edge down a bit and re-form the radius. Then sand the
whole table and give it some sort of varnishing. It looks like solid wood
and that it would cope.

The Medway Handyman October 19th 08 12:04 AM

John wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
stuart noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Farrance wrote:
[...]

On that theme you could run a router around the edge to create a new
profile. Not sure of the OP's circumstances though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave Farrance October 19th 08 09:21 PM

stuart noble wrote:

Kevin wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Farrance wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks. I'll order a couple of sticks and give it a go.

--
Dave Farrance