Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joining two brick walls

I need to 'join' two parallel brick walls - about 3' long & 5 courses high
and about 1" apart.

They are in a garden and one wall has a small gate post fixed to it. This
wall has partly fallen down & needs rebuilding, the other wall is as solid a
rock.

Plan A was to use steel frame ties to bond the two walls together & improve
the overall strength. Plan B could be to pour a wet concrete or mortar mix
into the 1" gap once the wall has been rebuilt or indeed as it's being
rebuilt. In the latter case I could PVA everything.

Any thoughts as to which method will be stronger? Would mortar be better
than concrete?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:39:01 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I need to 'join' two parallel brick walls - about 3' long & 5 courses high
and about 1" apart.

They are in a garden and one wall has a small gate post fixed to it. This
wall has partly fallen down & needs rebuilding, the other wall is as solid a
rock.

Plan A was to use steel frame ties to bond the two walls together & improve
the overall strength. Plan B could be to pour a wet concrete or mortar mix
into the 1" gap once the wall has been rebuilt or indeed as it's being
rebuilt. In the latter case I could PVA everything.

Any thoughts as to which method will be stronger? Would mortar be better
than concrete?

If strength is more important than appearance consider inserting lengths
of studding from side to side with large load spreading washers (pattress
plates) at each end of the studding. Filling the void would then be a
substantial extra stiffener.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I need to 'join' two parallel brick walls - about 3' long & 5 courses high
and about 1" apart.

They are in a garden and one wall has a small gate post fixed to it. This
wall has partly fallen down & needs rebuilding, the other wall is as solid a
rock.

Plan A was to use steel frame ties to bond the two walls together & improve
the overall strength. Plan B could be to pour a wet concrete or mortar mix
into the 1" gap once the wall has been rebuilt or indeed as it's being
rebuilt. In the latter case I could PVA everything.

Any thoughts as to which method will be stronger? Would mortar be better
than concrete?

Use both!

Walls of solid material outside without ties will crack and cracks will
get water in and freezing water will split them. So the steel is a must.

I built a double wall of concrete block and brick. Its cracked in the
one place I didn't use ties..everywhere else there is a bow tie per
joint, and plenty between the two layers, which were filled with crap
mortar after I had finished each mix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
I need to 'join' two parallel brick walls - about 3' long & 5 courses high
and about 1" apart.

They are in a garden and one wall has a small gate post fixed to it. This
wall has partly fallen down & needs rebuilding, the other wall is as solid
a rock.

Plan A was to use steel frame ties to bond the two walls together &
improve the overall strength. Plan B could be to pour a wet concrete or
mortar mix into the 1" gap once the wall has been rebuilt or indeed as
it's being rebuilt. In the latter case I could PVA everything.

Any thoughts as to which method will be stronger? Would mortar be better
than concrete?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Is the other wall a neighbours wall? I'd be very wary of building onto their
wall if it is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message news
I need to 'join' two parallel brick walls - about 3' long & 5
courses high and about 1" apart.

They are in a garden and one wall has a small gate post fixed to it.
This wall has partly fallen down & needs rebuilding, the other wall
is as solid a rock.

Plan A was to use steel frame ties to bond the two walls together &
improve the overall strength. Plan B could be to pour a wet
concrete or mortar mix into the 1" gap once the wall has been
rebuilt or indeed as it's being rebuilt. In the latter case I could
PVA everything. Any thoughts as to which method will be stronger? Would
mortar be
better than concrete?

Is the other wall a neighbours wall? I'd be very wary of building
onto their wall if it is?

Odd situation actually. Street of terraced houses which apparently has a
right of way or something through the back gardens, so each house has a gate
into the neighbours garden. I'm told its in the deeds or something that
they can't block them off?

Anywho, they are jointly employing me, so no probs.

Good point though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Solid brick walls Jeweller UK diy 16 August 26th 08 07:22 PM
How to hang pictures on brick walls? Northe Home Repair 24 February 25th 07 03:26 PM
Website with pictures/ ideas for brick walls? ste-m UK diy 4 October 7th 06 12:43 PM
power washing brick walls Splash1 Home Repair 1 August 4th 06 06:18 AM
power washing brick walls m Ransley Home Repair 1 August 4th 06 05:10 AM