Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HMRC - VAT Returns

From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

--
Cheers
Dave.

....but postage is a legitimate business expense - so it is deductible :-)

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

I don't see a problem with filing online, you only need a username and
password, if you're VAT registered they already know who you are and
where you are.

On the other hand, I don't think I'm quite ready to set up a Direct
Debit so they can rake the money direct from the account.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

I agree that getting an online password AND activating it can be painful.
But you only need to do it once.

But the online VAT return (and the self assessment) is quite painless, worth
doing IMO. Did VAT returns a couple of years back that way. Did SA this
year and got a refund in 4 days flat

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S writes:
Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

I agree that getting an online password AND activating it can be painful.
But you only need to do it once.

But the online VAT return (and the self assessment) is quite painless, worth
doing IMO. Did VAT returns a couple of years back that way. Did SA this
year and got a refund in 4 days flat

Yes, I've done SA that way for a few years now. It's remarkably
good for something implemented by/for the government.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 11:13*am, Tim S wrote:
Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

I agree that getting an online password AND activating it can be painful.
But you only need to do it once.

It's no worse than you have to go through with some on-line bakns.

But the online VAT return (and the self assessment) is quite painless, worth
doing IMO. Did VAT returns a couple of years back that way. Did SA this
year and got a refund in 4 days flat

It's a no brainer, for anyone with a brain ;-)

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid
envelope for sending back the return. I guess they want people to
file on line and jump through the hoops to get an government online
ID, grrr...

I don't see a problem with filing online, you only need a username and
password, if you're VAT registered they already know who you are and
where you are.

Their "VAT portal" is about the worst website ever; but beyond that, no
problem with the return itself.

On the other hand, I don't think I'm quite ready to set up a Direct
Debit so they can rake the money direct from the account.

Me neither!

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 04:33:39 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

I guess they want people to file on line andjump through the hoops to
get an government online ID, grrr...

I agree that getting an online password AND activating it can be
painful. But you only need to do it once.

It's no worse than you have to go through with some on-line bakns.

Last time I got authrised for a bank it was painless, got user ID and
password in branch, waited for dongle to arrive registered it and I was
in. Lst time I looked at the government thing it appeared to want all
manner of information and a paper form sending back after they sent you
something else then they sent you your via snail mail...

I'll have another look, I also miffed 'cause the VAT return this quarter
is going to be £0.00 (zero) as I've not had any payments come in due to
being ill and not working.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid
envelope for sending back the return. I guess they want people to
file on line and jump through the hoops to get an government online
ID, grrr...

As of 2010, you'll *have* to do it online anyway as they're withdrawing the
paper alternative (wife's a VAT Assurance Officer).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

As I am on a quarterly return and tend to do 12 months worth at a time,
I have a nice stack of unused postage paid envelopes:-)

Or do you think they will have cancelled the business reply licence?

Before anyone asks, most farm business is zero rated so they usually owe
me money.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:09:41 +0100, Emil Tiades wrote:

As of 2010, you'll *have* to do it online anyway as they're withdrawing
the paper alternative (wife's a VAT Assurance Officer).

Great fun if your ISP goes kaplonk 2 days before the return is due.

Or Mr Murphy Man comes along and hacks the phone cable into bits... I
would hope that there are/will be provisions in place to handle such
occurances. I guess you could go to the local library but I'd not want to
use a public access machine for filing my VAT return or anything involving
personal information.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim S writes:
Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

I agree that getting an online password AND activating it can be painful.
But you only need to do it once.

But the online VAT return (and the self assessment) is quite painless, worth
doing IMO. Did VAT returns a couple of years back that way. Did SA this
year and got a refund in 4 days flat

Yes, I've done SA that way for a few years now. It's remarkably
good for something implemented by/for the government.

Although they took a few goes to get it right... the first version of
the web site was incompatible with their back end software apparently,
so they used to print out the information you entered, and then re-key
it into their existing software to do the calcs!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I'll have another look, I also miffed 'cause the VAT return this quarter
is going to be £0.00 (zero) as I've not had any payments come in due to
being ill and not working.

Can't you find some costs to incur? At least that way you can claim some
back from them for a change ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 19:54:57 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Can't you find some costs to incur? At least that way you can claim some
back from them for a change ;-)

I have had some costs but I'm on the FRS... Which means I don't take those
into account when calculating VAT. I just take 10.5% (the rate from my
business sector) of gross income and send it to them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 6:09*pm, Emil Tiades wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:25:47 +0100, "John" wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid
envelope for sending back the return. I guess they want people to
file on line and jump through the hoops to get an government online
ID, grrr...

As of 2010, you'll *have* to do it online anyway as they're withdrawing the
paper alternative (wife's a VAT Assurance Officer).

Great fun if your ISP goes kaplonk 2 days before the return is due.

So don't leave it until the last minute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:29:50 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

I don't see a problem with filing online, you only need a username and
password, if you're VAT registered they already know who you are and
where you are.

On the other hand, I don't think I'm quite ready to set up a Direct
Debit so they can rake the money direct from the account.

You don't have to pay by DD if you are filing online. I simply set a
bank transfer up to pay on the 1st of the month that any VAT is due.
If I am in credit the payment goes into my bank pretty quickly too.

On the other hand you do lose a few days despite what they say because
they accept a cheque up to the deadline and then it still takes a few
days to clear whereas the transfer has to be set 3 or 4 days ahead of
the due date.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

You don't have to pay by DD if you are filing online.

I know, I do the latter because it is more convenent, but not the former.

I simply set a
bank transfer up to pay on the 1st of the month that any VAT is due.
If I am in credit the payment goes into my bank pretty quickly too.

You could hold onto the funds for a few more days, electronic payments
need to be received by the 7th IIRC.

On the other hand you do lose a few days despite what they say because
they accept a cheque up to the deadline and then it still takes a few
days to clear whereas the transfer has to be set 3 or 4 days ahead of
the due date.

You shouldn't loose if you pay on the 3rd/4th.

Phishing from HMRC? OT cynic UK diy 6 June 12th 08 07:56 PM
AC Returns In Basement DerbyDad03 Home Repair 7 July 11th 07 11:43 AM
Constructing air returns... [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 1st 07 03:14 AM
B+Q returns [email protected] UK diy 16 February 25th 05 05:19 PM
Basement returns PVR Home Repair 2 January 12th 05 07:43 AM