DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/261045-hardboard-over-floor-soaking-prevent-bowing.html)

Peter Hemmings September 23rd 08 05:58 PM

Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing?

Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

Thanks

George September 23rd 08 06:14 PM

Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing?

"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

Thanks

Dunno? I was told to leave a mm or so gap between sheets to allow for
expansion,as for wetting?

PeterMcC September 23rd 08 06:21 PM

Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing?

"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

I've always laid it out in the room in which it was to be used for 48 hours
before fixing so that it could expand/contract as per the temp/humidity of
the room.

Never soaked it - I would have thought that it was asking for excess
expansion and, besides that, I've always avoided getting hardboard wet
because of the degredation of the surface.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Peter Hemmings September 23rd 08 06:28 PM

PeterMcC wrote:
"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

I've always laid it out in the room in which it was to be used for 48
hours before fixing so that it could expand/contract as per the
temp/humidity of the room.

Never soaked it - I would have thought that it was asking for excess
expansion and, besides that, I've always avoided getting hardboard wet
because of the degredation of the surface.

First 2 replies reflect my experiences exactly!

Still if anyone has soaked it - it would be nice to know how they kept
it flat!

George September 23rd 08 06:36 PM

PeterMcC wrote:
"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

I've always laid it out in the room in which it was to be used for 48
hours before fixing so that it could expand/contract as per the
temp/humidity of the room.

Never soaked it - I would have thought that it was asking for excess
expansion and, besides that, I've always avoided getting hardboard wet
because of the degredation of the surface.

First 2 replies reflect my experiences exactly!

Still if anyone has soaked it - it would be nice to know how they kept it
flat!

When I had a flat soe years ago,hardboard was down over the floor,soeone ust
have wetted it? as the edges were butt up against each other and them edges
were raised slightly probably due to it being wetted?

Unbeliever September 23rd 08 06:46 PM

Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold water using
something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it and then leave it
to dry off.

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Unbeliever

Peter Hemmings September 23rd 08 08:51 PM

Unbeliever wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold water using
something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it and then leave it
to dry off.

Only one side then, the one that lays oon the boards?

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board

Thats the term the person used/

to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Exactly what movement and why not both sides!?

Sorry just, seems a bit weird, but obviously its recommended!

Unbeliever

The Medway Handyman September 23rd 08 09:29 PM

Unbeliever wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold
water using something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it
and then leave it to dry off.

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Hardboard is already tempered in the manufacturing process. Its an oil/heat
process.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Rod September 23rd 08 09:50 PM

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold
water using something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it
and then leave it to dry off.

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Hardboard is already tempered in the manufacturing process. Its an oil/heat
process.

Isn't that just oil tempered hardboard?

--
Rod

onset.

Unbeliever September 23rd 08 10:06 PM

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold
water using something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it
and then leave it to dry off.

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Hardboard is already tempered in the manufacturing process. Its an
oil/heat process.

Dave,

*No* *it's* *not!*

Be a little more accurate Dave and say that some hardboards are oil
tempered - but not all. Just like plywood, there are different grades - and
prices!

Unbeliever

[email protected] September 23rd 08 10:23 PM

Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:58:45 +0100, Peter Hemmings
wrote:

Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

Thanks

Well you don't "soak" it .You lay it on the floor and go over it with
a brush and cold water and allow it to dry then lay it in place . I've
only done it a couple of times when laying vinyl on an uneven floor
and that was the way it was done .
Googling for an answer might help
http://search.diynot.com/forum_searc...h=Search+Forum

found on the Screwfix Forum
--------------------------------------

Conditioning

To prevent sheets buckling due to a change in moisture content,
manufacturers recommend they should be conditioned before use. There
are two ways of doing this.

* For standard and LM (low density) type medium and tempered boards,
scrub the backs with water, using I litre to every 2440 x 1220mm
sheet. Then stack the sheets flat, back to back, for 24-48 hours
(48-72 hours for tempered boards).
* For HM (high-density) type, medium boards and all boards to be used
in centrally heated surroundings, stack the sheets on edge in the room
where they are to be used, separating them with wood off cuts to allow
the air to circulate. Leave HM medium boards for 48 hours and other
boards for 72 hours before using them.

dmc September 24th 08 10:53 PM

Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing?

In article ,
Peter Hemmings wrote:

Still if anyone has soaked it - it would be nice to know how they kept
it flat!

Many years ago I had a summer job with a couple of mates helping out the
headteacher of our school husband to some work in the school.

Part of this was building partition walls - and then cladding the bottom o
them in hardboard.

We did wet it and then fit it wet (looked awful!) and by the next morning
it had pulled really tight and flat...

Saying that, I didn't bother when I boarded our kitchen with it and that
seemed fine for 5 years before SWMBO picked something else.

Not sure I've helped really :)

Darren

dmc September 24th 08 10:54 PM

Peter Hemmings wrote:

Only one side then, the one that lays oon the boards?

Should have said - we only soaked (well sprayed with a hose) the back of
the hardboard (the textured side not the smooth)

Darren

Peter Hemmings September 24th 08 11:26 PM

Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing?

snip

found on the Screwfix Forum
--------------------------------------

Conditioning

To prevent sheets buckling due to a change in moisture content,
manufacturers recommend they should be conditioned before use. There
are two ways of doing this.

* For standard and LM (low density) type medium and tempered boards,
scrub the backs with water, using I litre to every 2440 x 1220mm
sheet. Then stack the sheets flat, back to back, for 24-48 hours
(48-72 hours for tempered boards).
* For HM (high-density) type, medium boards and all boards to be used
in centrally heated surroundings, stack the sheets on edge in the room
where they are to be used, separating them with wood off cuts to allow
the air to circulate. Leave HM medium boards for 48 hours and other
boards for 72 hours before using them.

Thanks for all the replies, it seems you are all right!

I have just bought the hardboard from a good local DIY shop. The owner
who happens to be French, said it was not necessary to wet his boards
as they were good quality, confirming earlier information.

He also advised what you say in your last paragraph, just to make sure
they stabilize to the surroundings. Here in the South west it can be
very humid where the board have been stored and its just good practice!

Regards