DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vacuum cleaner motor died? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/260070-vacuum-cleaner-motor-died.html)

Guy Snape September 12th 08 02:15 PM

Vacuum cleaner motor died?

My vacuum cleaner (ordinary upright type, electrolux) just stopped
working. I turned it off and back on again and the motor started then
died again after less than a second. Tried again, same result. Now
there's no motor sound at all - I don't think it's an electrical cut out
as I tried again after half an hour and it still didn't work. Any chance
of fixing it, or do I chuck it?

Thanks,

- guy

Derek Geldard September 12th 08 02:54 PM

Vacuum cleaner motor died?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:15:27 GMT, Guy Snape
wrote:

My vacuum cleaner (ordinary upright type, electrolux) just stopped
working. I turned it off and back on again and the motor started then
died again after less than a second. Tried again, same result. Now
there's no motor sound at all - I don't think it's an electrical cut out
as I tried again after half an hour and it still didn't work. Any chance
of fixing it, or do I chuck it?

Sure that the flex isn't broken at the point where it's secured to or
enters the cleaner ?

A common fault on some models.

Derek

EricP September 12th 08 03:08 PM

Vacuum cleaner motor died?

wrote:

My vacuum cleaner (ordinary upright type, electrolux) just stopped
working. I turned it off and back on again and the motor started then
died again after less than a second. Tried again, same result. Now
there's no motor sound at all - I don't think it's an electrical cut out
as I tried again after half an hour and it still didn't work. Any chance
of fixing it, or do I chuck it?

Thanks,

- guy

Sounds like the motor brushes if it starts and then cuts out.

It is worth dismantling it to look at them.

[email protected] September 12th 08 06:36 PM

Vacuum cleaner motor died?

On Sep 12, 2:15*pm, Guy Snape
wrote:
My vacuum cleaner (ordinary upright type, electrolux) just stopped
working. I turned it off and back on again and the motor started then
died again after less than a second. Tried again, same result. Now
there's no motor sound at all - I don't think it's an electrical cut out
as I tried again after half an hour and it still didn't work. Any chance
of fixing it, or do I chuck it?

Thanks,

Could be a broken wire, a connection come adrift, or faulty motor or
switch. Bad motor is generally the least likely, so probably simple to
repair if you can use a £5 multimeter.

NT