DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best wood preservative for ... (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/259813-best-wood-preservative.html)

jal September 9th 08 03:55 PM

Best wood preservative for ...

Hi all

I've just bought a cheap garden hut - naturally it's made from
flimsy-ish wood and pinned together with staples, but it will do me for
the job I have in mind (wood storage),

I intend to improve it by strengthening the joints and putting heavier
timber into it where appropriate.

I also want to coat it very well in some kind of presevative. I'm after
a cosy dark brown look, and I want whatever I use to soak into the wood
and weather nicely.

Some of the preservatives I've used in recent years have been
disappointing, not really soaking into the wood, and instead forming a
friable skin which eventually starts to peel off.

Any suggestions from The Panel? Creosote substitute comes to mind [is
it *actually* a substitute - it seems like the real thing to me!] ...
but I don't know if I (and the neighbours) would survive the fumes from
a whole hut coated in it.

Cheers
John

Joker7 September 9th 08 06:23 PM

Best wood preservative for ...

To restore balance to the world jal wrote in

[...]

For a wood store - me beiing a tight fisted git- would use old sump oil.Not
brown but will do a great job.

Chris

--
Superb hosting & domain name deals
http://dn-22.co.uk

[email protected] September 9th 08 08:52 PM

Best wood preservative for ...

On 9 Sep, 14:55, jal wrote:
[...]

Decide if you want it preserved or if you want a surface coating
When you have decided that let me know and I can advise
One is quite different from the other
Creosote substitute has not dissimilar smell etc to creosote proper
but is without the allegedly carcogenic contents
Chris George

jal September 10th 08 02:31 PM

Best wood preservative for ...

In article
,
wrote:

Decide if you want it preserved or if you want a surface coating

Thanks. Yes, as I said (implied) below, it's preservative I'm after.
In my experience preservatives also look good, if you choose the right
one, but the choice these days (as with everything) is so wide as to
render me helpless, like a rabbit in the headlights. Maybe I'll just
go for creosote sub.

[email protected] September 10th 08 04:56 PM

Best wood preservative for ...

On 10 Sep, 13:31, jal wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
Decide if you want it preserved or if you want a surface coating

Thanks. *Yes, as I said (implied) below, it's preservative I'm after. *
In my experience preservatives also look good, if you choose the right
one, but the choice these days (as with everything) is so wide as to
render me helpless, like a rabbit in the headlights. * Maybe I'll just
go for creosote sub.

Some of the preservatives I've used in recent years have been
disappointing, not really soaking into the wood, and instead forming a
friable skin which eventually starts to peel off.

John

John
See the link on
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...fc724417599e89

which you can find by putting in a search on the group for
Preservatives

also
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...25c59ced80c1b6

Which seems pretty apposite for your request.

If those data do not cover your shed situation - let me know
Chris G

jal September 10th 08 05:33 PM

Best wood preservative for ...

In article
,
wrote:

John
See the link on
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...65fad445a9962/
93fc724417599e89?hl=en-GB&lnk=gst&q=preservative#93fc724417599e89

which you can find by putting in a search on the group for
Preservatives

also
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...de31e6a9b0180/
c125c59ced80c1b6?hl=en-GB&lnk=gst&q=preservative#c125c59ced80c1b6

Which seems pretty apposite for your request.

Thanks - useful.

John