DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Filling a skip - etiquette (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/259277-filling-skip-etiquette.html)

R D S[_2_] September 2nd 08 07:17 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before filling?

Schrodinger's cat September 2nd 08 07:56 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before
filling?

TBH, We have overfilled a few skips following the rule that stuff shouldn't
actually be spilling over the sides. We have used the boards (or doors) at
the side trick. Maybe we were lucky with the skip handler...

There is one rule you will have to follow. You must stand by the skip all
night to stop your neighbours filling it for you.

The Medway Handyman September 2nd 08 07:57 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

R D S wrote:
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it
before one can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before
filling?

Depends if it your skip or next doors :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

R D S[_2_] September 2nd 08 08:18 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"Schrodinger's cat" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it before
one can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before
filling?

TBH, We have overfilled a few skips following the rule that stuff
shouldn't actually be spilling over the sides. We have used the boards (or
doors) at the side trick. Maybe we were lucky with the skip handler...

There is one rule you will have to follow. You must stand by the skip all
night to stop your neighbours filling it for you.

Nobody had chance to get anything in it, we had a surprising anount to clear
out of a unit we are vacating.

Shall I get a 4 or 5 ton I thought and ordered a 4, filled it very quickly.

Ordered another which I thought would be overkill for the 'bits' we had left
and again the chuffing thing filled up and we carried on filling it.

We are cleared up now but I am not looking forward to the guy coming back
for it tomorrow, I might bung him an extra tenner.

Andrew Mawson September 2nd 08 08:23 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it

before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before

filling?

No need if it's the usual mix of stuff - just squash it down with the
back actor of a JCB - works a treat G Not so clever if it's brick
rubble though!

AWEM

R D S[_2_] September 2nd 08 08:28 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it

before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before

filling?

No need if it's the usual mix of stuff - just squash it down with the
back actor of a JCB - works a treat G Not so clever if it's brick
rubble though!

I have a few tools but unfortunately not one of them!

Mary Fisher September 2nd 08 08:34 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it before
one can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before
filling?

TBH, We have overfilled a few skips following the rule that stuff
shouldn't actually be spilling over the sides. We have used the boards (or
doors) at the side trick. Maybe we were lucky with the skip handler...

There is one rule you will have to follow. You must stand by the skip all
night to stop your neighbours filling it for you.

And to be able to retrieve anything you want before anyone else does.

Mary

Ed Sirett September 2nd 08 08:56 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:17:01 +0100, R D S wrote:

How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it before
one can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before
filling?

My experience.

If what you are putting in the skip is general rubbish, mixed, some
bricks, some rubble, some soil, old kitchen units etc. then the load
won't be any where near the maximum for the skip which is built for
compacted bricks, clay, rubble or concrete. In these circumstances a
reasonable amount of building up the ends to match the sides and a little
amount of side build up will probably be OK, especially for the smaller
mini and standard skips.
The large 12m³ skips should not be 'enhanced' as they are near the size
capacity of the truck.

HTH

tony sayer September 2nd 08 09:15 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

In article , Ed Sirett
scribeth thus
[...]

As it 'appens we've ordered a skip for a small job out in the sticks
tomorrow. Price quoted, 4 yard one, inc VAT is 55 quid but thats only
concrete and brick rubble.

Chuck one bit of wood in there and the price goes up to a whopping 115
quid!..

Anyone had this quoted?..
--
Tony Sayer

The Medway Handyman September 2nd 08 09:32 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Ed Sirett
scribeth thus
[...]

Similar. I was told that concrete and brick rubble can be taken (free or
possibly at a profit) to a recycling plant to be crushed & re used as
aggregate. Top soil can also be recycled free, wheras with general rubbish
they have to pay to tip it.

Maybe the 'green' tax also applies.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

A.Lee September 2nd 08 09:53 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

tony sayer wrote:

As it 'appens we've ordered a skip for a small job out in the sticks
tomorrow. Price quoted, 4 yard one, inc VAT is 55 quid but thats only
concrete and brick rubble.

Chuck one bit of wood in there and the price goes up to a whopping 115
quid!..

Anyone had this quoted?..

Yes.
Hardcore is easy to get rid of, even the landfill sites use it when
burying the rubbish.Many places will take hardocre for free, as they can
sell it on.
Add other 'rubbish' in there and it is no good as hardcore, so it has to
be dumped, causing a charge for the skip company.
The local tip charged £65/tonne the last time I asked, a skip can easily
hold 3 tonnes.
Obviously skip companies have a better rate, but it still costs them a
lot to dump general rubbish.

I had to dig up a garden last year, a 6 cu yd skip was filled - it would
have been £35 cheaper if it was mud/soil only, but as there was some
turf in there, it was classed as 'mixed' waste, so was charged at max.
rate.
£115 is pretty expensive, I had the same size skip last week for garden
rubbish at £70.50.
Alan.

dennis@home September 2nd 08 09:56 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it

before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before

filling?

No need if it's the usual mix of stuff - just squash it down with the
back actor of a JCB - works a treat G Not so clever if it's brick
rubble though!

If its brick rubble and you pile it up the truck won't be able to lift it..
seen it done and it took someone hours with a shovel before they could lift
the skip.

AWEM

Andrew Mawson September 2nd 08 10:15 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"R D S" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it

before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board

before
filling?

No need if it's the usual mix of stuff - just squash it down with

the
back actor of a JCB - works a treat G Not so clever if it's

brick
rubble though!

I have a few tools but unfortunately not one of them!

How on earth do you manage??????

AWEM

Andrew Mawson September 2nd 08 10:19 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Ed Sirett
scribeth thus
[...]

That's because they put it through the crusher and flog it at £10 a cu
metre !

AWEM

R D S[_2_] September 2nd 08 10:20 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it
before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board

before
filling?

No need if it's the usual mix of stuff - just squash it down with

the
back actor of a JCB - works a treat G Not so clever if it's

brick
rubble though!

I have a few tools but unfortunately not one of them!

How on earth do you manage??????

Your right, I need one!

How should I break it to 'er indoors?

Andrew Mawson September 2nd 08 11:34 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"R D S" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"R D S" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill

it
before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board

before
filling?

No need if it's the usual mix of stuff - just squash it down

with
the
back actor of a JCB - works a treat G Not so clever if it's

brick
rubble though!

I have a few tools but unfortunately not one of them!

How on earth do you manage??????

Your right, I need one!

How should I break it to 'er indoors?

Are you a Man or a mouse - just GET one !

AWEM

John September 2nd 08 11:41 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Ed Sirett
scribeth thus
[...]

At what height would you cease to be happy to drive behind it in an open top
car?

Andrew Mawson September 3rd 08 08:58 AM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"John" wrote in message

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Ed Sirett
scribeth thus
[...]

All the ones I see these days are either netted or sheeted when
driving.

AWEM

mogga September 3rd 08 10:41 AM

Filling a skip - etiquette

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 18:17:01 +0100, "R D S" wrote:

How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before filling?

I've seen dozens of skips being dragged away in the last 12 months and
they've varied from barely filled to hugely overfilled.

One skip that was overloaded the block took off the top stuff and left
it on the ground - it was stuff that would have fallen off.

My dad's mate recommends trampling the stuff down to get more in.
One at the dormer extension up the road put doors on the sides to give
them more room. That one went no problem.

The ones packed with soil seem to have been taken no problem even
though it was heaped up.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Franko September 3rd 08 11:05 AM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before
filling?

I filled a 6 yard skip with crushed concrete and soil once making sure that
it was all compacted very well and every inch of capacity was used and that
it wasn't 'too much' higher than the sides.
When the lorry came to pick it up, the hydraulic support legs just sank
straight through the 8 inch concrete in our back alleyway and made it rather
awkward to pick up - he managed it after putting plenty of packers under the
legs though.
Franko.

Lobster September 9th 08 09:08 PM

Filling a skip - etiquette

"R D S" wrote in message
How much higher than the highest side of a skip can one fill it

before one
can be considered to be taking the ****?

And is it 'on' to increase the sides of the skip with board before

filling?

No need if it's the usual mix of stuff - just squash it down with the
back actor of a JCB - works a treat G Not so clever if it's brick
rubble though!

If its brick rubble and you pile it up the truck won't be able to lift it..
seen it done and it took someone hours with a shovel before they could
lift the skip.

Yeah - years ago I had a summer job as a mini-skip driver, and I well
remember the time when I tried to remove one particular skip - not only
was it completely filled with housebricks but they'd been effectively
'laid' within the skip so the contents was like a completely solid block
of bricks. God knows what it must have weighed but muggins ended up
helping to unload it enough to shift, and it was about half-empty before
the truck's front wheels stopped lifting off the ground!

David