Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vaillant Combi problems

Our ancient Vaillant combi (VCW GB240H ) will no longer fire. The
culmination of a series of problems I found to difficult to diagnose with
certainty.

For some time we haven't been able to get the DHW to fire when we ran the
shower upstairs - if we opened another HW tap then it would.
Some time after we began to notice the water was getting v hot.
Next thing was that the pilot light would blow out when the water
overheated. After the pilot was relit the DHW would not easily fire again.
We would have to wait until the whole thing cooled down.
During this time the CH seemed to operate OK.
Finally today, we could not get the DHW to fire at all and something had to
be done.

I thought the thermocouple was ok and the pilot problem was linked to the
overheating so I decided to replace the DHW thermostat and check and replace
the diaphragms in the 'water section' and the diverter valve - (I had
previously done this some years ago when we were getting no dhw and I
discovered a tear in one of the diaphragms.)
Well, when I got home from the Parts centre I found they had given me an NTC
sensor not the DHW thermostat - but I changed this anyway.
I changed both the diaphragms - although the old ones looked ok and all
internal parts were freely moving..

Predictably, this did not improve things. DHW will not fire up and neither
will the CH now.

The pump runs and you can hear water running round the system. Now I have
the covers off the boiler I can see that the Servo arm is moving ok when the
HW tap runs (so I guess the water section is ok) but the micro switches on
top of the diverter aren't moving at all. The push rod seems stuck in the
same half way position.
I can fire the CH with a screwdriver and I can fire the DHW by pulling the
micro switch out manually but in both cases the boiler cuts out after about
30 secs.
Also when I switch the CH off using the room thermostat control the pump
continues to run - although there is no demand. When I then cut it off using
the power switch the pump grinds to halt with what sounds ominously like a
death rattle.

It didn't do that before!!

I'm still going to change the DHW thermostat but I don't know if I should
change the diverter valve although it's not moving the micro switches I
couldn't see anything wrong with it when I stripped it down.
Could the pump have something to do with this?
Also I replaced the DHW expansion vessel about 18 months ago after a
failure. I've never been happy about it. Would an incorrectly pressured
vessel cause the diverter valve to stick?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Son of Fred
writes
Our ancient Vaillant combi (VCW GB240H ) will no longer fire. The
culmination of a series of problems I found to difficult to diagnose with
certainty.

Have you checked the diverter valve microswitches ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm afraid the spindle/pushrod isn't moving the switches at all so I can't
adjust them.
I can fire the boiler by manually making the switches although it wont
remain lit.
The servo arm on top of the water section moves and returns OK.
I'm going to try venting the boiler this morning and if that fails cleaning
out the control lines this afternoon.

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Son of Fred
writes
Our ancient Vaillant combi (VCW GB240H ) will no longer fire. The
culmination of a series of problems I found to difficult to diagnose with
certainty.

Have you checked the diverter valve microswitches ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:08:30 +0100, Son of Fred wrote:

[...]

The pump noise does make me think this might be a pump problem.

All the symptoms from your description point to the pump. The microswitch
assy is porbably OK. I'm not sure but I think you can change the just the
pump head if so that will be fairly inexpensive to repair and try out.
If the pump was OK and you pushed the diverter to the left to get the CH
to start it should have continued to run OK.

This boiler is about 13-20 years old and should be possible to repair it
to give you quite a few more years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Son of Fred
writes
I'm afraid the spindle/pushrod isn't moving the switches at all so I can't
adjust them.
I can fire the boiler by manually making the switches although it wont
remain lit.
The servo arm on top of the water section moves and returns OK.
I'm going to try venting the boiler this morning and if that fails cleaning
out the control lines this afternoon.

you'll have to wait for Ed to appear, he's the hands on vaillant man

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Son of Fred
writes
Our ancient Vaillant combi (VCW GB240H ) will no longer fire. The
culmination of a series of problems I found to difficult to diagnose with
certainty.

Have you checked the diverter valve microswitches ?

--
geoff

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought I'd update my progress in case anyone might be able to shed any
light onto our problems.

First thing I did today was obtain and fit a new DHW thermostat along with
the new NTC probe in the hope if I could get the boiler working the DHW
would stop overheating.
I vented the boiler and bled the rads -- no effect

I then removed the main control line from the servo to the diverter. It was
well clogged up with crud. I cleaned it out refitted and Bingo! Boiler fired
up first time and stayed lit. I could get CH or DHW on demand. The pushrod
was moving freely and tripping the microswitches as required. I ran the DHW
for some time and the water temp stayed constant and the pilot remained lit
so at least the water temp issue is fixed however the upstairs shower still
would not fire the boiler. (The BAth and basin were OK). In view of the crud
down the control line I decided to strip the others out and clean them too.
Hey, It couldn't do any harm could it?
How I wish I had taken a shower first.
The other Control lines were cruddy too and I took the servo off and cleaned
the holes the lines went into best I could - these too were rather clogged.
When I refitted and tried to run the boiler to my surprise and frustration
we were back to square 1.No DHW or CH.
The situation is as per my first post i.e the servo arm rises and falls at
the right times but the diverter pushrod is not moving at all. I can fire
the boiler by making the switches manually but it will only run for 30 secs
before cutting out - even if I continue to make the switch.
If I pull out the spring loaded microswitch trip mech away from the diverter
while the H tap is running I can see the pushrod begin to move out but as
soon as I release it forces the rod backin. There is not enough pressure in
the diverter valve to hold it though the tap is running full pelt.
Although I had the boiler up and running earlier ther was one thing that
caught my eye. On one occasion while calling for dhw the pushrod was
extending out smoothly to the right hand side when all of a sudden it fell
back then shot out again like there had been a sudden dip in the pressure.
I'm stumped now. I'm thinking of replacing the servo and or diverter valve.
Does anyone else think this would be a good idea?
What should I try changing first?
I'm taking the kids round to me mums for showers now!

"Son of Fred" wrote in message
I'm afraid the spindle/pushrod isn't moving the switches at all so I
can't adjust them.
I can fire the boiler by manually making the switches although it wont
remain lit.
The servo arm on top of the water section moves and returns OK.
I'm going to try venting the boiler this morning and if that fails
cleaning out the control lines this afternoon.

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Son of Fred
writes
Our ancient Vaillant combi (VCW GB240H ) will no longer fire. The
culmination of a series of problems I found to difficult to diagnose with
certainty.

Have you checked the diverter valve microswitches ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cheers Ed!!!
I got back from my ablutions at my old mum's and when I read your comments
re pushing the M/S assy all the way to left to fire
the CH I realised this is not what I've been doing.
I've been firing it by holding in the black switch with a screwdriver blade.
The boiler would fire for 30 secs then fade.
This made me realise the other microswitch needs to be depressed at the same
time.
As soon as I read your post I pushed in the M/S assy fully to the left as
you described and the boiler gave an almighty gurgle, fired and stayed lit.

The pushrod is moving freely once again and I can get CH and HW on demand.
Even the shower is firing the boiler now
(and that hasn't happened for a while now without opening up the basin HW
tap at the same time.)

I guess there must have got an airlock somewhere in the diverter (or the
pump?) after I refilled. Everything is running tickety boo now so
the I think key was cleaning out the control lines and the servo after all.

As you noted the pump dosen't sound too healthy. If I flip the mains power
switch when its running it comes to a halt with a clatter so maybe
thats going to be the next thing to go wrong. I was interested to learn from
your post I might not have to change the whole thing, and I'll keep that
in mind.

Many thanks to you and Geoff for the Input.

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

I did battle with the 18kW [1] version today. Having stripped the whole
of the domestic water switch unit down and found that it just needed a new
sindle gland...

So.. I was fully bracing my self for c. £100 (actually 75+VAT) for a new
'wasser schalter' but was well pleased to find that for £1.57 I could buy
a new 'stopfbuchse' (spindle gland) on its own.

Full marks to Vaillant and A10 boiler spares for making and stocking just
the part that needed replacing.

[1] designed for small flats with a shower but no bath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed Sirett
writes

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

A10 seem to have gone down hill a bit lately

Paul seems more concerned with fishing and holidays

shame really

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:17:17 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Ed Sirett
writes

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

They seem to be helping me OK. I haven't seem the guy with the glasses
around lately? Is he Paul?
He is legendary: he spots the broken part as you walk along the street
from your van and gets it from the store room ready for when you walk in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed Sirett
writes
Full marks to Vaillant and A10 boiler spares for making and stocking
just the part that needed replacing.

A10 seem to have gone down hill a bit lately

Paul seems more concerned with fishing and holidays

shame really

They seem to be helping me OK. I haven't seem the guy with the glasses
around lately?

Kevin - poached from FMT

Is he Paul?

Paul is tall and a bit fat (who am I to talk ??)

He is legendary: he spots the broken part as you walk along the street
from your van and gets it from the store room ready for when you walk in.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think I have celebrated too soon as I still have one of my original
problems. That is the pilot is still blowing out AFTER I have run DHW for
some time.
About 20 seconds after the HW is turned off after a long run (Bath fill or
long shower session) then I hear the thermocouple shut off the pilot.

So far I have replaced the DHW thermostat and the NTC probe thinking this
was linked.
There is a DHW flow regulator on the water section but this has been seized
up in the same position for the last 15 years!
I had to replace the thermocouple 2 years ago as it was failing - but it was
behaving v erractically - dropping out v frequently in CH, DHW or idle modes
so I dont think it's the thermocouple- but I could be wrong.
Is there anything else it could be?
Otherwise I will have to replace the thermocouple for elimination purposes.

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Ed Sirett
writes

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

vaillant combi and pressure clown UK diy 5 August 21st 05 11:20 AM
Advice any combi or Vaillant Combi 828plus in loft? elad UK diy 6 January 27th 05 10:19 PM
Vaillant Combi. Gob UK diy 2 October 22nd 04 07:07 PM
Vaillant TurboMax Combi problems G.W. Walker UK diy 0 January 29th 04 05:46 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 08:52 PM