DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   disabling a LDV van (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/256765-disabling-ldv-van.html)

George \(dicegeorge\) July 29th 08 11:41 PM

disabling a LDV van

a chap who owes me money and an apology
has left his LDV van and reg doc with me,
how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

I dont want to tamper with the brakes or the fuel system...

i've taken off the number plates but that wont stop him...

--

[george]

Phil[_10_] July 29th 08 11:49 PM

disabling a LDV van

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
a chap who owes me money and an apology
has left his LDV van and reg doc with me,
how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

I dont want to tamper with the brakes or the fuel system...

i've taken off the number plates but that wont stop him...

--

[george]

Take 2 wheels off? Remove steering wheel?
Pull multi-connector off keyswitch?
LDV, it probably won't start anyway.
Banana up exhaust pipe !

Newshound July 30th 08 12:01 AM

disabling a LDV van

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
a chap who owes me money and an apology
has left his LDV van and reg doc with me,
how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

I dont want to tamper with the brakes or the fuel system...

i've taken off the number plates but that wont stop him...

--

[george]

Remove the battery? A couple of wheels? The steering wheel? Park something
up close at each end? Block off the doors? If you are close enough, a cheap
wireless PIR alarm?

Steve Firth July 30th 08 12:03 AM

disabling a LDV van

George (dicegeorge) wrote:

a chap who owes me money and an apology
has left his LDV van and reg doc with me,
how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

Remove the battery. If it's a petrol/LPG version remove the distributor
cap.

I dont want to tamper with the brakes or the fuel system...

i've taken off the number plates but that wont stop him...

Most LDVs manage to stop themselves. Complete heaps of crap.

Mike Harrison July 30th 08 12:21 AM

disabling a LDV van

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:41:04 +0100, "George \(dicegeorge\)" wrote:

a chap who owes me money and an apology
has left his LDV van and reg doc with me,
how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

I dont want to tamper with the brakes or the fuel system...

i've taken off the number plates but that wont stop him...

Take all the fuses out.

bRAINS July 30th 08 12:32 AM

disabling a LDV van

On Jul 29, 11:41*pm, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
a chap who owes me money and an apology
has left his LDV van and reg doc with me,
how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

I dont want to tamper with the brakes or the fuel system...

i've taken off the number plates but that wont stop him...

--

* * * * * * * * * *[george]

Snap the key (you got one I take it?) in the ignition!

Park the wife's car behind.

Place super-glue on the drivers seat.

Chuck in the back a wasp nest.........

Be fun to watch the get away effort.

bRAINS

http://www.justservices.com/open/i/diy.html

Adrian July 30th 08 07:14 AM

disabling a LDV van

"George \(dicegeorge\)" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

a chap who owes me money and an apology has left his LDV van and reg doc
with me, how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

I dont want to tamper with the ... fuel system...

Why not? It'd be the quickest and easiest way of disabling a diesel.

shrug
Just get a wheelclamp.

Andy Dingley July 30th 08 10:14 AM

disabling a LDV van

On 29 Jul, 23:41, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:

how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

Take it to the scrappie pronto.

The only way to disable this is to lock around one of the wheels, DVLA
style. As it's an LDV, they're probably assuming it will need to be
towed anyway, so just preventing it starting won't do much good.

For comedy value, drop the track rod off it and leave it unlocked.

The Natural Philosopher July 30th 08 10:38 AM

disabling a LDV van

wrote:

how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

Take it to the scrappie pronto.

The only way to disable this is to lock around one of the wheels, DVLA
style. As it's an LDV, they're probably assuming it will need to be
towed anyway, so just preventing it starting won't do much good.

For comedy value, drop the track rod off it and leave it unlocked.

Actually te best thing to do is to drive it somewhere else.

Got any friends with a yard?

George \(dicegeorge\) July 30th 08 02:46 PM

disabling a LDV van

Actually te best thing to do is to drive it somewhere else.

i havnt the insurance to drive it,
and he could argue im stealing it...

he called 999 on me yesterday when i was asking for my money back
but they arrested him!

ive taken off the steering wheel,
good idea that, thanks
(was thinking of removing the pedals)
[g]

George July 30th 08 06:32 PM

disabling a LDV van

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
a chap who owes me money and an apology
has left his LDV van and reg doc with me,
how can i disable it so he cant come at night and drive it off?

I dont want to tamper with the brakes or the fuel system...

i've taken off the number plates but that wont stop him...

--

[george]

Buy a wheel clamp,any sort of tampering with the van will count as malicious
damage.

Andy Dingley July 30th 08 06:43 PM

disabling a LDV van

On 30 Jul, 18:32, "George" wrote:

Buy a wheel clamp,any sort of tampering with the van will count as malicious
damage.

A lowlife who tries to reposess an LDV isn't going to worry about
trivia like that.

My concern would be that if you have _one_ LDV parked outside, someone
might dump another next to it.

George July 30th 08 06:47 PM

disabling a LDV van

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 30 Jul, 18:32, "George" wrote:

Buy a wheel clamp,any sort of tampering with the van will count as

malicious
damage.

A lowlife who tries to reposess an LDV isn't going to worry about
trivia like that.

My concern would be that if you have _one_ LDV parked outside, someone
might dump another next to it.

Since he's also given him the Reg doc's, I'm thining it'll save the blokey
taking it to the scrapyard hiself. ;-)

Man at B&Q July 31st 08 01:02 PM

disabling a LDV van

On Jul 30, 2:46*pm, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
Actually te best thing to do is to drive it somewhere else.

i havnt the insurance to drive it,
and he could argue im stealing it...

ive taken off the steering wheel,

Criminal damage instead of theft, then.