DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ping the Medway Handyman (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/256297-ping-medway-handyman.html)

George \(dicegeorge\) July 26th 08 11:07 PM

Ping the Medway Handyman

wasnt Lloyd George a good prime minister?

--

[george]

~ ~

wrote in message ...
On 26 Jul,
F news@nowhere wrote:

There are lousy teachers, just as there are lousy plumbers,
electricians, bankers, Prime Ministers, whatever...

I couldn't agree with you more. There are also good teachers,plumbers,
electricians, bankers.... but perhaps not Prime Ministers.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Dave July 26th 08 11:14 PM

Ping the Medway Handyman

wrote:

On 25 Jul,

On 2008-07-25 22:23:56 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:488a2eef@qaanaaq...

I explained that earlier in the thread. Our local one was grouping 5
and 6 year olds together

so what?

So it's not appropriate or acceptable to do this.

Small village schools have been doing this (on an even grander scale,
reception to Y6 with one teacher) for years. Such schools are often found to
function well with this arrangement, and great howls of rage arise when
attempts are made to close them.

Speaking as someone that has worked at a primary school for over 3 years
(not in teaching though), I too have seen this happen. When I have asked
the teacher why it was done, it turned out that the 2 classes were so
evenly matched, that it made perfect sense to teach them together. They
invariably separated into 2 streams again later, as their development
grew them apart.

Generally, teachers have their minds on the needs of the children in
their care and not on the ease of their lives. The introduction, by this
government of assessments and standards has lowered the educational
standards by quite a lot. They can't even get the SATS results through now.

Dave

Andy Hall July 26th 08 11:21 PM

Ping the Medway Handyman

On 2008-07-26 22:40:41 +0100, said:

On 25 Jul,

On 2008-07-25 22:23:56 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:488a2eef@qaanaaq...

I explained that earlier in the thread. Our local one was grouping 5
and 6 year olds together

so what?

So it's not appropriate or acceptable to do this.

Small village schools have been doing this (on an even grander scale,
reception to Y6 with one teacher) for years. Such schools are often found to
function well with this arrangement, and great howls of rage arise when
attempts are made to close them.

This is confusing the issues of teacher pupil ratio with using children
as teaching assistants and holding back of children.

I don't have an issue with mixing of age groups per sec. I have a
very big issue with how some schools have done this together with
slowing the development of children.

Dave July 26th 08 11:22 PM

Ping the Medway Handyman

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I try in my mind to compare today's situation with what I remember
of my childhood. Things certainly seem very different, but it's
very hard for me to tell how much of this is because my outlook on
life has inevitably changed as I've become more politically aware
with age, and more aware of a wider society than I would have been
a primary school.

In the 1960's and 1970's, my parents were both councillors (at
different levels of local government and in different areas from
each other), and both served as school governors (different
schools). Neither were in the least bit policital though, and I'm
sure would have had the interests of the relevant groups (local
area they represented, and kids education respectively) as their
primary concerns.

Thinking back to the end of that period, I recall my mother
(then chairman of the school governors) becoming increasingly
frustrated at policial parties pushing their staff onto the
governing bodies with no knowledge of education at all to
force party agendas on the schools, rather than considering
each issue on its own merits within the education framework.
Sometime in the early 1980's (I don't recall exactly when),
mum gave up being a school governor as it had turned into
polictics, not running schools. She switched her time to
working on boards of charities, well away from politics
again.

I often hear politicians say they went into politics because
they wanted to improve peoples' lives, and in many cases I
can believe that. I think it all goes horribly wrong when
party politics then overtake their original intentions,
and they turn into the same mold as fanatical religious
groups with no capability for individual thought.
Party politics should probably be outlawed -- it's called
a cartel when the same thing happens between commercial
organisations.

Going back to education, the teacher/parent/child relationship,
the other change I can see is the attitude of parents to
education and schools. When I was at school in the 60's and
70's, if you got into trouble at school, you prayed that
your parents wouldn't find out as you would get into much
worse trouble at home. By the 1980's, that had significantly
changed in that many parents no longer respected and trusted
schools. If you got into trouble at school and you told your
parents, in many cases they'd turn up at the school threatening
violence against the staff, which was completely unheard of
and unimaginable in my school days. Of course, with lack of
parental respect, a school is never going to have their kids
respect either.

While I completely agree with you here...

Don't know what this has got to do with DIY, but there you go!

Wasn't it DIY that got you interested in women anyway ;-)

Dave

Dave July 26th 08 11:48 PM

Ping the Medway Handyman

F wrote:

On 25/07/2008 00:32 John wrote:

Those who can, work, those that can't teach!

As someone who retired after 35 years teaching, the last 24 as a primary
deputy head, I couldn't agree with you less.

There are lousy teachers, just as there are lousy plumbers,
electricians, bankers, Prime Ministers, whatever...

There are not that many bad teachers, just those that get run down with
modern rules and regulations. I don't recollect that much about my
primary school teachers, but my secondary and night class teachers were
superb. They took a child that had suffered asthma until the age of 13,
spending as much time at home as at school and Bronchitis ever since
into a semi literate, numerate person that was aware of history,
classical music and geography. I can't remember a bad secondary teacher.
I can remember a bad day release teacher, but that was only because some
of us would wind him up beyond his limits. My maths improved in my early
20's when I had to catch up on all that I had missed at school as a
child. Thanks to teachers I had listened to at college, I could
understand the maths that set me on my way to a career that crumbled
shortly after :-(

The cotton industry circa late sixties. I eventually went into the
aerospace industry at quite a high level of secrecy. I loved the job.

Dave

geoff July 27th 08 12:56 PM

Ping the Medway Handyman

In message , "George (dicegeorge)"
writes
wasnt Lloyd George a good prime minister?

Did he know your father ?

--
geoff