DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cost of toughened glass !!! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/256244-cost-toughened-glass.html)

[email protected] July 24th 08 09:04 AM

Cost of toughened glass !!!

Went to my local glaziers in London last week to get a price for
toughnened glass as follows:-

2 sheets each 435mm x 435mm and 6mm thick. Ground edges for safety but
no radiussed corners or any other extras.

I was quoted aprice of £54 for the pair.

I was horified. What would you expect?

[email protected] July 24th 08 09:29 AM

Cost of toughened glass !!!

Er - that's about the price I would expect.

John July 24th 08 11:12 AM

Cost of toughened glass !!!

wrote in message
Er - that's about the price I would expect.

I believe the glass has to be cut and then sent away for the toughening
process. The transport is a significant cost of course.

[email protected] July 24th 08 05:17 PM

Cost of toughened glass !!!

On Jul 24, 9:04*am, wrote:
Went to my local glaziers in London last week to get a price for
toughnened glass as follows:-

2 sheets each 435mm x 435mm and 6mm thick. Ground edges for safety but
no radiussed corners or any other extras.

I was quoted aprice of £54 for the pair.

I was horified. What would you expect?

Maybe look at laminated, float with attached safety film, or even
wired

NT

Andy Dingley July 24th 08 05:51 PM

Cost of toughened glass !!!

On 24 Jul, 09:04, wrote:

I was horified. What would you expect?

Laminated is sometimes cheaper, as it doesn't travel so much. Either
way, shop around. Most "glaziers" these days only install ready-made
sealed units and barely cut glass at all. If you're looking at the
rarer products, then it pays to go somewhere that deals with them
regularly - otherwise they're likely outsourcing the job anyway and
taking another cut from it.

Don't use wired, as it's weaker than plain glass and has really nasty
edges when broken. Fire resistance is wired glass' only virtue and
even that doesn't excuse it.

Ziggur July 25th 08 10:26 AM

Cost of toughened glass !!!

John wrote:

I believe the glass has to be cut and then sent away for the
toughening process. The transport is a significant cost of course.

Not so. The retailer will simply order the required piece from this
supplier

--
"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"