Angela

Default dishwasher problems

Wonder if anyone can offer any advise please.
I bought my first dishwasher -- second hand -- about a month ago. I have now
got small bits of rust like stuff on my cutlery. The cutlery is stainless
steel, but it is very stained.
Any ideas what could have caused this. is it due to the dishwasher?
Should I be using salt? I have no idea how much to use, if at all. Don't
even know where I should put it.
I know this isn't really a DIY question, but hope someone could help.
Many thanks

--
Angela

dmc

In article ,
Angela wrote:
Wonder if anyone can offer any advise please.
I bought my first dishwasher -- second hand -- about a month ago. I have now
got small bits of rust like stuff on my cutlery. The cutlery is stainless
steel, but it is very stained.

Assuming that there are no rusty bits on the baskets in the machine then
it may well just be the cutlery going rusty!

There a good grades of stainless steel and there are cheap grades - if
it is relatively cheap cutlery then this maybe the cause. A dishwasher
tends to wash hotter and with more agressive chemical than your
avarage hand wash.

We have some cheap cutlery that has the same problem. Mind you, we also
have some that cost under a fiver from argos that seems fine!

Any ideas what could have caused this. is it due to the dishwasher?
Should I be using salt? I have no idea how much to use, if at all. Don't
even know where I should put it.

If you are in a hard water area then yes. It usually goes into a container
in the base of the machine. Access is usually (always?) via a screw on
cap that is in the bottom of the machine. Pull the bottom basket out
completely and you should be able to see it.

If that doesn't help then post what make/model it is. Someone else is
bound to have something similar.

I know this isn't really a DIY question, but hope someone could help.
Many thanks

Dishwashers seem to be a common subject on here recently (partly my
fault :-)

Darren

BigWallop

"Angela" wrote in message
Wonder if anyone can offer any advise please.
I bought my first dishwasher -- second hand -- about a month ago. I have

now
got small bits of rust like stuff on my cutlery. The cutlery is stainless
steel, but it is very stained.
Any ideas what could have caused this. is it due to the dishwasher?
Should I be using salt? I have no idea how much to use, if at all. Don't
even know where I should put it.
I know this isn't really a DIY question, but hope someone could help.
Many thanks

--
Angela

You definitely need salt if only to soften the water and aid in rinsing the
dishes. Rust spots are normally caused by not allowing the dishes to stand
in washer until the residue heat has dried them off, so don't open the door
and let the heat out straight after the wash cycle has finished. Having no
rinse aid solution in the machine can also be a culprit. You should see a
fill cap beside where the powder goes, it more than likely twists off with a
quarter turn, and this should be filled with rinse aid liquid until the
little clear window beside it goes dark coloured.

What make ? And what model ? Do you have an instruction booklet ?

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Angela

Many thanks for your replies. I have visited the web site, and managed to
download the user handbook.

It appears that the salt rinse cap is missing, so I am ording 1, and I now
know where to put the rinse aid.

Thanks again

--
Angela

BillR

Angela wrote:
Wonder if anyone can offer any advise please.
I bought my first dishwasher -- second hand -- about a month ago. I
have now got small bits of rust like stuff on my cutlery. The cutlery
is stainless steel, but it is very stained.
Any ideas what could have caused this. is it due to the dishwasher?
Should I be using salt? I have no idea how much to use, if at all.
Don't even know where I should put it.
I know this isn't really a DIY question, but hope someone could help.
Many thanks

Do you have to use abrasive to get the stains off?
Is the cutlery really dishwasher proof?
Theres stainless and "stainless" ....

Maybe the machine hadn't been used for some time before you got it and its
just some crud from the machine.

The Natural Philosopher

Great to hear your sorted. It's just a pity you still have to load the
dishes in the thing before it washes them though, Eh ? Or am I just a lazy
old git ? :-))

---
BigWallop

Ah. I am not the only one who has noticed that it actually takes longer
to load and unload teh thing, clear off surplus food, clear the bits of
icky ****e from teh fletr, load teh powedr, teh rinse aid, teh ssaalt
etc...than it does to stack the dishes in the sink, scrub em cleam and
stack in the drying rack?

Not to mention that a dishwahser doesn't actually wash dishes - it sort
of rinses them with a low grade pressure wash, none of which is capable
of gettiong egg, burnt potaies, the crunchy bits from lasagne, or indded
much esle of cooking utensikls, even if they fitted the washer, which
mostly they don't...

Ok, its a boon when you have a dinner party. But in normal life for one
or two people and the occasional visitors, IMFHO its a complete waste of
time.

Capitol

Where do YOU live then?
Regards
Capitol
geoff wrote in message ...
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

[...]

My wife refuses to have one in the house

--
geoff

geoff

In message , Capitol
writes
Where do YOU live then?
Regards
Capitol
geoff wrote in message ...
[...]

I think someone top posted, but I can't be arsed to look
--
geoff
IMM

"Capitol" wrote in message
Where do YOU live then?
Regards
Capitol
geoff wrote in message ...
[...]

I couldn't live without one. One of the greatest inventions of all time. I
want to have two of them.

---

Capitol

Look at the Fisher & Paykel dish drawer products.
Regards
Capitol

IMM wrote in message ...

"Capitol" wrote in message
Where do YOU live then?
Regards
Capitol
geoff wrote in message ...
[...]

dmc

In article ,
Capitol wrote:

Look at the Fisher & Paykel dish drawer products.

Saw one of these at John Lewis in Bluewater. Amazing thing. Pretty amazing
price as well I seem to remember!

Darren

Owain

"IMM" wrote
| My wife refuses to have one in the house
| I couldn't live without one. One of the greatest inventions of all time.
| I want to have two of them.

What, wives?

Owain

geoff

In message , Owain
writes
"IMM" wrote
| My wife refuses to have one in the house
| I couldn't live without one. One of the greatest inventions of all time.
| I want to have two of them.

What, wives?

My wife won't let me have another one of them either
--
geoff
Andrew McKay

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:06:05 +0100, geoff wrote:

My wife won't let me have another one of them either

You made the mistake of not being born in Saudi.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
geoff

In message , Andrew McKay
writes
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:06:05 +0100, geoff wrote:

My wife won't let me have another one of them either

You made the mistake of not being born in Saudi.

No, I've tried the Islam argument, doesn't work
--
geoff

zanussi ds17 dishwasher Bob UK diy 0 July 8th 03 01:49 PM
Indesit DG6145 DishWasher Oooops! MiniEmma UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 03:59 PM