DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   window trickle vents / airbricks (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/255784-window-trickle-vents-airbricks.html)

sm_jamieson July 18th 08 10:54 AM

window trickle vents / airbricks

When I put the windows in my extension they are specified as PVCu with
trickle vents as is usual. But am I correct in thinking that I can
provide airbricks or other "controllable ventilation" to the same
equivalent ventilation, and omit the window trickle vents ?
Thanks,
Simon.

[email protected] July 18th 08 01:13 PM

window trickle vents / airbricks

IIRC the relevant approved doc says yes, though I think it refers to
it in the context of renovations and conversions.

John Rumm July 18th 08 03:28 PM

sm_jamieson wrote:
When I put the windows in my extension they are specified as PVCu with
trickle vents as is usual. But am I correct in thinking that I can
provide airbricks or other "controllable ventilation" to the same
equivalent ventilation, and omit the window trickle vents ?

You can also use windows that have the two position locking handles that
allow them to be closed and locked but slightly ajar. (I was unsure when
doing my loft, so specced the trickle vents as well even though the
supplier thought the handles alone would be ok. The BCO later confirmed
that he was happy with either)

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher July 18th 08 04:18 PM

John Rumm wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
When I put the windows in my extension they are specified as PVCu with
trickle vents as is usual. But am I correct in thinking that I can
provide airbricks or other "controllable ventilation" to the same
equivalent ventilation, and omit the window trickle vents ?

You can also use windows that have the two position locking handles that
allow them to be closed and locked but slightly ajar. (I was unsure when
doing my loft, so specced the trickle vents as well even though the
supplier thought the handles alone would be ok. The BCO later confirmed
that he was happy with either)

Beware of that one. I still haven't resolbved it with the BCO who
considers thaey are insecure, and therefore do not meet building
regulations.

[email protected] July 18th 08 07:27 PM

window trickle vents / airbricks

IIRC...

Approved doc warns that they may be a security issue and that extra
consideration may be required in ground floor locations.

Certainly doesn't say they fail to meet regs.

sm_jamieson July 18th 08 08:32 PM

On 18 Jul, 19:27, " wrote:
IIRC...

Approved doc warns that they may be a security issue and that extra
consideration may be required in ground floor locations.

Certainly doesn't say they fail to meet regs.

Downstairs windows with a small top light that can be locked ajar
would probably be fine then.
Simon.

John Rumm July 18th 08 10:35 PM

wrote:
IIRC...

Approved doc warns that they may be a security issue and that extra
consideration may be required in ground floor locations.

Certainly doesn't say they fail to meet regs.

Might be worth noting my BCO had no objection, but they were two storeys up!

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |