Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default birds and walls

No, not custard and ice cream, but birds that come to excavate a brick
wall. I have had an e mail from a friend who is having problems with
birds that are attacking his house wall. He said they were sparrows, but
to my eyes they are black with a white chest and a flash line of white
similar to that a sparrow has on its shoulder/wing.
What they are doing is pecking at the brick work and eroding it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:04:17 +0100, Dave wrote:

No, not custard and ice cream, but birds that come to excavate a brick
wall. I have had an e mail from a friend who is having problems with
birds that are attacking his house wall. He said they were sparrows, but
to my eyes they are black with a white chest and a flash line of white
similar to that a sparrow has on its shoulder/wing.
What they are doing is pecking at the brick work and eroding it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave

He could try putting a silhouette of a hawk on the wall to scare them off.

Don.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message

She is
the same fruitcake that won't have her 70' (yes SEVENTY foot) ash tree
pruned

What's wrong with a 70 foot tree?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-11 23:56:43 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"mike" wrote in message

She is
the same fruitcake that won't have her 70' (yes SEVENTY foot) ash tree
pruned

What's wrong with a 70 foot tree?

Nothing as long as it's a very long way from any houses. It has a
root spread at least as much as its height.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-11 23:56:43 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"mike" wrote in message

She is
the same fruitcake that won't have her 70' (yes SEVENTY foot) ash tree
pruned

What's wrong with a 70 foot tree?

Nothing as long as it's a very long way from any houses. It has a
root spread at least as much as its height.

Pruning won't reduce that spread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
No, not custard and ice cream, but birds that come to excavate a brick
wall. I have had an e mail from a friend who is having problems with birds
that are attacking his house wall. He said they were sparrows, but to my
eyes they are black with a white chest and a flash line of white similar
to that a sparrow has on its shoulder/wing.
What they are doing is pecking at the brick work and eroding it.

Anyone got any ideas?

They sound like House Martins who can build nests under the eaves of houses
out of mud. If they are doing this they are quite nice really and you are
quite lucky as the prefer non-urban environments

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

[g]

What's wrong with a 70 foot tree?

Nothing as long as it's a very long way from any houses. It has a root
spread at least as much as its height.

Pruning won't reduce that spread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

But pruning branches doesn't shrink its existing root spread - even if
were not to grows any more roots at all.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

But pruning branches doesn't shrink its existing root spread - even if
were not to grows any more roots at all.

But it does alter its water usage and may cause ground shift where the roots
are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

dennis@home wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

But pruning branches doesn't shrink its existing root spread - even if
were not to grows any more roots at all.

But it does alter its water usage and may cause ground shift where the
roots are.

Absolutely. But I couldn't decide whether the overall effect would be to
increase or decrease water uptake - so I made no comment on that.
Whichever it does (or even if it does not change the actual amount one
jot), the root spread will not be reduced by pruning branches.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

But pruning branches doesn't shrink its existing root spread - even if
were not to grows any more roots at all.

However it DRASTICALLY reduces the water uptake, which in many cases is
what affects the subsidence.

The Birds and the Bees Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 29 April 27th 08 09:16 AM
Little birds Sterling Woodturning 3 December 28th 06 01:38 AM
penguins are the best birds [email protected] Metalworking 0 December 25th 05 02:54 PM
Getting birds out of attic Senin Home Repair 13 May 1st 05 02:17 AM
Ants and Birds, please help? lucy Home Ownership 4 May 8th 04 06:57 AM