DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   improve open fireplace efficiency/radiance with iron basket/back (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/2529-improve-open-fireplace-efficiency-radiance-iron-basket-back.html)

Jonathan Ives October 7th 03 02:07 PM

improve open fireplace efficiency/radiance with iron basket/back

Hi,

I know this has come up before but I'd be interested in the latest
thinking. I have a fireplace in a new extension on my house. It has a
one piece stone fireback , I'd guess about 12" wide at the back ,
opening to 18" wide at the front. I have a simple basket in it and
burn logs.

I wonder if anyone has any experience or views on increasing the
amount of "iron" close to the hot center to increase the amount of
radiated heat ? I know it was common to use a cast iron fireback to
improve radiation and prevent damage to the fireplace brickwork at the
back.

has anyone found or even built a basket/back that radiates more heat
forward and hence looses less by convection up the chimney. I was
thinking of a basket with integral cast iron back, maybe even some
modern thinking on increasing the forward surface area with thanes ?

I asked this question of my local fireshop but all they suggested was
removing the whole existing back and replacing it with a cast iron box
with ventilation flaps which convects more into the room but at a cost
of £500 plus the incovenience.

Thanks