DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   birds and walls (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/252887-birds-walls.html)

Dave June 11th 08 08:04 PM

birds and walls

No, not custard and ice cream, but birds that come to excavate a brick
wall. I have had an e mail from a friend who is having problems with
birds that are attacking his house wall. He said they were sparrows, but
to my eyes they are black with a white chest and a flash line of white
similar to that a sparrow has on its shoulder/wing.
What they are doing is pecking at the brick work and eroding it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave

Cerberus . June 11th 08 09:57 PM

birds and walls

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:04:17 +0100, Dave wrote:

No, not custard and ice cream, but birds that come to excavate a brick
wall. I have had an e mail from a friend who is having problems with
birds that are attacking his house wall. He said they were sparrows, but
to my eyes they are black with a white chest and a flash line of white
similar to that a sparrow has on its shoulder/wing.
What they are doing is pecking at the brick work and eroding it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave

He could try putting a silhouette of a hawk on the wall to scare them off.

Don.

dennis@home June 11th 08 11:56 PM

birds and walls

"mike" wrote in message

She is
the same fruitcake that won't have her 70' (yes SEVENTY foot) ash tree
pruned

What's wrong with a 70 foot tree?

Andy Hall June 12th 08 08:28 AM

birds and walls

On 2008-06-11 23:56:43 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"mike" wrote in message

She is
the same fruitcake that won't have her 70' (yes SEVENTY foot) ash tree
pruned

What's wrong with a 70 foot tree?

Nothing as long as it's a very long way from any houses. It has a
root spread at least as much as its height.

dennis@home June 12th 08 08:38 AM

birds and walls

On 2008-06-11 23:56:43 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"mike" wrote in message

She is
the same fruitcake that won't have her 70' (yes SEVENTY foot) ash tree
pruned

What's wrong with a 70 foot tree?

Nothing as long as it's a very long way from any houses. It has a
root spread at least as much as its height.

Pruning won't reduce that spread.

Bob Mannix June 12th 08 09:11 AM

birds and walls

"Dave" wrote in message
No, not custard and ice cream, but birds that come to excavate a brick
wall. I have had an e mail from a friend who is having problems with birds
that are attacking his house wall. He said they were sparrows, but to my
eyes they are black with a white chest and a flash line of white similar
to that a sparrow has on its shoulder/wing.
What they are doing is pecking at the brick work and eroding it.

Anyone got any ideas?

They sound like House Martins who can build nests under the eaves of houses
out of mud. If they are doing this they are quite nice really and you are
quite lucky as the prefer non-urban environments

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

George \(dicegeorge\) June 12th 08 12:22 PM

birds and walls

I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

[g]

Rod June 12th 08 12:51 PM

birds and walls

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

But pruning branches doesn't shrink its existing root spread - even if
were not to grows any more roots at all.

--
Rod

onset.

dennis@home June 12th 08 01:02 PM

birds and walls

"Rod" wrote in message
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

But pruning branches doesn't shrink its existing root spread - even if
were not to grows any more roots at all.

But it does alter its water usage and may cause ground shift where the roots
are.

Rod June 12th 08 01:08 PM

birds and walls

dennis@home wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

But pruning branches doesn't shrink its existing root spread - even if
were not to grows any more roots at all.

But it does alter its water usage and may cause ground shift where the
roots are.

Absolutely. But I couldn't decide whether the overall effect would be to
increase or decrease water uptake - so I made no comment on that.
Whichever it does (or even if it does not change the actual amount one
jot), the root spread will not be reduced by pruning branches.

--
Rod

onset.

The Natural Philosopher June 13th 08 07:39 PM

birds and walls

Rod wrote:
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I thought that pruning does stop the roots growing.

The tree tries to balance roots and branches
so if a lot of branches are pruned off
it will put all its effort into growing above ground.

Am i right or wrong?

(pruning also reduces the shade / shadows !)

But pruning branches doesn't shrink its existing root spread - even if
were not to grows any more roots at all.

However it DRASTICALLY reduces the water uptake, which in many cases is
what affects the subsidence.