DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Material for external swing seat cover (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/252521-material-external-swing-seat-cover.html)

[email protected] June 7th 08 11:47 PM

Material for external swing seat cover

The canopy over our 5 year old swing seat (plastic) has become torn
and irrepairable. I'd like to make up one myself, but I'm looking for
advice as to what type of material to use.

Ideally it would need to be resistant to bleaching in the weather, not
so thick that it couldn't be machine sewn to fit and preferably not
shrink or expand much in the rain.

Any useful suggestions?

As usual, thanks in advance!

Matt

Rod June 7th 08 11:55 PM

wrote:
The canopy over our 5 year old swing seat (plastic) has become torn
and irrepairable. I'd like to make up one myself, but I'm looking for
advice as to what type of material to use.

Ideally it would need to be resistant to bleaching in the weather, not
so thick that it couldn't be machine sewn to fit and preferably not
shrink or expand much in the rain.

Any useful suggestions?

As usual, thanks in advance!

Matt

IIRC, they used PTFE coated fabric for the Millennium Dome. Doubt it's
possible to get hold of. :-(

--
Rod

onset.

The Wanderer[_2_] June 8th 08 08:12 AM

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:47:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The canopy over our 5 year old swing seat (plastic) has become torn
and irrepairable. I'd like to make up one myself, but I'm looking for
advice as to what type of material to use.

Ideally it would need to be resistant to bleaching in the weather, not
so thick that it couldn't be machine sewn to fit and preferably not
shrink or expand much in the rain.

Any useful suggestions?

As usual, thanks in advance!

Hah, decided yesterday to actually do something about a new cover for our
swing seat!

I've emailed these people

http://www.mermet.co.uk/default.htm

to see if they sell retail amounts. Looks as though the Sattine and Natte
fabrics will fit the bill. I'll let you know how I get on with them.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Lobster June 8th 08 10:57 AM

wrote:
The canopy over our 5 year old swing seat (plastic) has become torn
and irrepairable. I'd like to make up one myself, but I'm looking for
advice as to what type of material to use.

Ideally it would need to be resistant to bleaching in the weather, not
so thick that it couldn't be machine sewn to fit and preferably not
shrink or expand much in the rain.

Any useful suggestions?

Is it worth making yourself? It's not likely to be easy to sew (if the
material was that thin the cover wouldn't very durable). I bought one
readymade for ours for 10 or 15 quid; somewhere like B&Q or
CoopersOfStortford IIRC.

David