DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Changing a wash basin drain. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/252020-changing-wash-basin-drain.html)

John June 2nd 08 06:30 PM

Changing a wash basin drain.

The chrome has got in a bad condition (after 20 years) on my wash basin
drain (plug hole) and I would like to replace it. However, access to the nut
underneath is very poor due to the hot and cold pipes, the pedestal and the
wall all being in the way somewhat.
I was wondering if I might stand a chance of unscrewing it from the top by
turning the grille - it is solid brass. Any thoughts? I had thought of
trying to hit the nut with a screwdriver to get it to turn - but the basin
is near a corner so access on the correct side for undoing is restricted.

John

The Medway Handyman June 2nd 08 06:43 PM

Changing a wash basin drain.

John wrote:
The chrome has got in a bad condition (after 20 years) on my wash
basin drain (plug hole) and I would like to replace it. However,
access to the nut underneath is very poor due to the hot and cold
pipes, the pedestal and the wall all being in the way somewhat.
I was wondering if I might stand a chance of unscrewing it from the
top by turning the grille - it is solid brass. Any thoughts? I had
thought of trying to hit the nut with a screwdriver to get it to turn
- but the basin is near a corner so access on the correct side for
undoing is restricted.

It's often possible to do that with a home made tool.

Piece of timber with two screws driven into one side, spaced so they fit
into the gaps in the grill. Wind some tape around the whole thing to avoid
scratches.

___________________
¦ ¦
¦__________________¦
¦¦ ¦¦
¦¦ ¦¦
¦¦ ¦¦

WD40 sprayed on the nut will help.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Roger Mills June 2nd 08 08:04 PM

Changing a wash basin drain.

John wrote:

The chrome has got in a bad condition (after 20 years) on my wash
basin drain (plug hole) and I would like to replace it. However,
access to the nut underneath is very poor due to the hot and cold
pipes, the pedestal and the wall all being in the way somewhat.
I was wondering if I might stand a chance of unscrewing it from the
top by turning the grille - it is solid brass. Any thoughts? I had
thought of trying to hit the nut with a screwdriver to get it to turn
- but the basin is near a corner so access on the correct side for
undoing is restricted.

--
John

If it's been there for 20 years, it's going to take a *lot* of shifting.
Chances are the threads will be bunged up with hardened Boss White. How
easily can you disconnect the taps and trap and remove the whole basin? It
will be a lot easier to work on if you can do that.
--
Cheers,
Roger

TMC June 2nd 08 11:51 PM

Changing a wash basin drain.

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..

John wrote:
[...]

Not really a method of undoing from above

The tool is a useful idea to stop the top turning whilst undoing the nut
from below

However I cannot see how it could be detatched from the trap and from the
basin without access from below

There is also zero chance of getting the new waste to seal without cleaning
up from below

Tony

John June 3rd 08 12:25 AM

Changing a wash basin drain.

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
John wrote:

[...]

That would be my preferred approach - but my walls are dry lined. The screws
go into the breeze block behind but there may also be some bonding to the
tiles. I just have a worry that it might be opening a can of worms. I tend
to agree about hardened Boss White.