Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless World February 1965

Hi to everyone on the list,

I wonder if anyone on this list has any back issues of the UK magazine
"Wireless World"?

I am trying to get hold of a complete copy of an article which
appeared in the February 1965 edition. I will be more than happy to
cover all expenses of copying etc.

The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator designed by Ken
Johnson which uses "Turns Cancellation" in order to tune the inductor
within the oscillator.

After reading an incomplete description of the design in "Amateur
radio techniques" I have been successful in getting the design to work
but I understand the WW article had much more detail and background
information which I should like to see.

Many thanks,

Des.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi to everyone on the list,

I wonder if anyone on this list has any back issues of the UK magazine
"Wireless World"?

I am trying to get hold of a complete copy of an article which
appeared in the February 1965 edition. I will be more than happy to
cover all expenses of copying etc.

The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator designed by Ken
Johnson which uses "Turns Cancellation" in order to tune the inductor
within the oscillator.

After reading an incomplete description of the design in "Amateur
radio techniques" I have been successful in getting the design to work
but I understand the WW article had much more detail and background
information which I should like to see.

Many thanks,

Des.

Why not post to sci.electronics.*?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What the kinell is a wobbulator?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

A "wobbulator" is basically a Voltage controlled oscillator often used
to "sweep" through a range of frequencies repeatedly. A typical use is
to sweep through the I.F. frequencies of a radio receiver while
adjusting the I.F. tuned circuits. By displaying the IF output on an
oscilloscope whoose horizontal sweep is synchronized to the swept
oscillator you obtain an image which represents the response of the
tuned circuits. While "tweaking" the tuned circuits you can see the
results of the tweaks in real-time.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Des.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 12:51, wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hi and many thanks for the tip but I just attempted to post to
sci.electronics and got the following message...

"You cannot post messages because this group is only available as an
archive."

The most recent post seems to be from 2005

Best wishes,

Des.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 2:32*pm, wrote:
What the kinell is a wobbulator?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

A "wobbulator" is basically a Voltage controlled oscillator often used
to "sweep" through a range of frequencies repeatedly. A typical use is
to sweep through the I.F. frequencies of a radio receiver while
adjusting the I.F. tuned circuits. By displaying the IF output on an
oscilloscope whoose horizontal sweep is synchronized to the swept
oscillator you obtain an image which represents the response of the
tuned circuits. While "tweaking" the tuned circuits you can see the
results of the tweaks in real-time.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Des.

.... Dosent have to be voltage controlled ...and dosent have to be
used for adjusting things
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

wrote:
Hi to everyone on the list,

I wonder if anyone on this list has any back issues of the UK magazine
"Wireless World"?

I am trying to get hold of a complete copy of an article which
appeared in the February 1965 edition. I will be more than happy to
cover all expenses of copying etc.

The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator

What the kinell is a wobbulator?

He definitely needs to get out more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Mon, 26 May 2008 06:44:23 -0700 (PDT), itsdoingfunnythings
wrote:

.... Dosent have to be voltage controlled ...and dosent have to be
used for adjusting things

Yeah - the old Samuel & Hutton used a motor to drive a rotating tuning
capacitor...

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

I have a fair few articles clipped and/or scanned from WW going back
to that period. Amusing how, as fast as they changed their name to get
rid of the 'old-fashioned' term 'wireless' ... that's it's come back
into fashion!

Anyway .. I don't have a copy of that article ... but if you go you
any library, and fill out the details on an 'Inter-library loan
request form', they will get you a photocopy of the article. It will
take a few weeks, and cost you a couple of quid or so, but you will
get it.

If you know anyone at a decent university then they are pretty likely
to have stocks of WW going back that far. I have photocopies from the
late 1950's of some of the early days of solid-state audio design
which went on in the pages of WW, grabbed from when I worked at UCL
briefly.

HTH
J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:54:23 +0100, Bruce wrote:

snip
The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator

What the kinell is a wobbulator?

He definitely needs to get out more.

You feed it with an audio signal and it modulates an RF frequency with it
- like a low power FM transmitter. It is often used for aligning the IF
stages of radios. Squirt it in at one side of an IF transformer and watch
the other side with a scope. You see a lovely response curve that you can
adjust in real time by tuning the core(s).

hhgttg
Glad to be of service.
/hhgttg

:-)

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mick wrote:

On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:54:23 +0100, Bruce wrote:

snip
The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator

What the kinell is a wobbulator?

He definitely needs to get out more.

You feed it with an audio signal and it modulates an RF frequency with it
- like a low power FM transmitter. It is often used for aligning the IF
stages of radios. Squirt it in at one side of an IF transformer and watch
the other side with a scope. You see a lovely response curve that you can
adjust in real time by tuning the core(s).

You definitely need to get out more as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:55:49 +0100, Bruce wrote:

snip

You definitely need to get out more as well.

I do nowadays, but I'm afraid that I can't undo the mistakes of the past!
;-)

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net
Filtering everything posted from googlegroups to kill spam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mick wrote:

On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:55:49 +0100, Bruce wrote:

snip

You definitely need to get out more as well.

I do nowadays, but I'm afraid that I can't undo the mistakes of the past!
;-)

That's a problem we all share ...

The older I get, the more of them I make. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
mick wrote:

On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:54:23 +0100, Bruce wrote:

snip
The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator
What the kinell is a wobbulator?

He definitely needs to get out more.

You feed it with an audio signal and it modulates an RF frequency with it
- like a low power FM transmitter. It is often used for aligning the IF
stages of radios. Squirt it in at one side of an IF transformer and watch
the other side with a scope. You see a lovely response curve that you can
adjust in real time by tuning the core(s).

You definitely need to get out more as well.

Doesn't sound like you have ever been out of the ward yourself at all..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 16:17, jkn wrote:
[...]

Hi again,

Many thanks for looking through your back issues of Wireless World.
Thanks also for the tip on 'Inter-library loan request forms", thats
handy to know.

As luck would have it someone had a copy of the article in question
and has e-mailed me a copy but thanks again for trying.

Best wishes,

Des.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 May, 00:41, Andy Wade wrote:
wrote:
I wonder if anyone on this list has any back issues of the UK magazine
"Wireless World"?

I am trying to get hold of a complete copy of an article which
appeared in the February 1965 edition. I will be more than happy to
cover all expenses of copying etc.

I have the January 1965 edition (with the Dinsdale audio preamp) but
not, alas, February.

You can order directly from the British Library:http://bldorderform.bl.uk/OrderDetai...ESS+WORLD.&she...

--
Andy

Thanks for the info' Andy,

I will keep the url for future reference. As luck would have it
someone found a copy of the article and has e-mailed it to me but
thanks for taking the time to respond.

Best wishes,

Des.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 12:23, wrote:
Hi to everyone on the list,

I wonder if anyone on this list has any back issues of the UK magazine
"Wireless World"?

I am trying to get hold of a complete copy of an article which
appeared in the February 1965 edition. I will be more than happy to
cover all expenses of copying etc.

The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator designed by Ken
Johnson which uses "Turns Cancellation" in order to tune the inductor
within the oscillator.

After reading an incomplete description of the design in "Amateur
radio techniques" I have been successful in getting the design to work
but I understand the WW article had much more detail and background
information which I should like to see.

Many thanks,

Des.

Hi again to everyone in the group,

Just a few lines to say "thanks" to all who responded to my request
for a copy of the wireless world article.

Someone has kindly e-mailed me a copy of the article so I can now
continue my research.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Best wishes,

Des.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator

What the kinell is a wobbulator?

Performance anxiety.
--
Dave