Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS black sludge

Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to the
chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to
the chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Don't you occasionally dip a drill (chuck end) into grease? I do with my
DeWalt and that grease turns black.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to the
chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

Hi Dave,

Yes, it's a rather intricate technical problem which I have come across
before. Actually, I'm coming across it with such monotonous regularity
it's becoming rather tiresome.

The problem is of a money/brand nature. You didn't spend fifteen times
as much money on a big name tool. Apart from the issue of getting black
sludge on your £2000 per pair overalls, you will have to factor in the
time / miles lost during your visit to A&E.

Ordinarily one would recommend that one uses ones to time to calculate
the true cost of ones potential visit to A&E in order to ascertain which
A&E one should visit. As one will no doubt claim the travelling costs
back from ones customer service manager under ones guarantee, one should
ensure it is the most expensive A&E one can find as one has always found
the expensive to be better for one, if one sees what one means?

Hth
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"somebody" wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to the
chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

Hi Dave,

Yes, it's a rather intricate technical problem which I have come across
before. Actually, I'm coming across it with such monotonous regularity
it's becoming rather tiresome.

The problem is of a money/brand nature. You didn't spend fifteen times as
much money on a big name tool.

The Pro Wickes is made by Kress, am excellent company. It think he has a
pro drill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to the
chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Probably just telling you that you got it a bit hotter than normal...

Most of the decent SDS drill makers recommend a small amount of grease
applied to the shank of a drill bit occasionally - some lubrication will
also have been installed by the maker, which is probably what you are
seeing.

(the budget tools of old used to have substantial grease reservoirs that
needed refilling frequently. Before long this would be falling out of
every orifice in the machine and splattering all adjacent surfaces and
users! Needless to say the whole drill ended up a sticky mess before too
long).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

somebody wrote:

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to the
chuck, because I've never added anything.
I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Yes, it's a rather intricate technical problem which I have come across
before. Actually, I'm coming across it with such monotonous regularity
it's becoming rather tiresome.

The problem is of a money/brand nature. You didn't spend fifteen times
as much money on a big name tool. Apart from the issue of getting black
sludge on your £2000 per pair overalls, you will have to factor in the
time / miles lost during your visit to A&E.

Very good.
The other side is, if it had been bought from Aldi/Lidl, there are
German NHS vouchers enclosed. As the Germans are so efficient, the time
travelling to and from Germany would probably be less than the trip to
the local A&E, hence it would actually mean a time saving over buying
the quality tool.
Of course, no one should sully themselves (especially a self employed
businessman) with the the local A&E, when there are quite adequate
facilities available at BUPA et al. Yes, the cost is £250 per month, but
when factored in over the 10 year life span of your average Handyman, it
must surely mean the cost is worth it, as the time spent waiting is time
lost earning. A couple of stitches after slipping with a knife - you
have obviously used a £3 knife, when a £25 knife would have been more
stable and not slipped, but the after effects are the true costs, why
wait 2 hours, when for peace of mind, just £250 a month would help.
You've got to think of all the hidden costs!
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"somebody" wrote in message
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black
sludge creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever
added to the chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

Hi Dave,

Yes, it's a rather intricate technical problem which I have come
across before. Actually, I'm coming across it with such monotonous
regularity it's becoming rather tiresome.

The problem is of a money/brand nature. You didn't spend fifteen
times as much money on a big name tool.

The Pro Wickes is made by Kress, am excellent company. It think he
has a pro drill.

Whoosh................

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to the
chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Not a good thing in the sense its looks like a poor grease compound has gone
like oily,still its still under warranty is it not?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
somebody wrote:

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
[...]

Yes, and BUPA would ship you to the nearest A&E and it may not be the one
you want.
This happens with none elected procedures at BUPA as they don't have the
staff or kit to cope with emergencies.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 May 2008 22:40:37 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to the
chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

Get a Bosch? :-)

My Makita SDS developed a fault where it would spray black sludge around
when it got hot and bothered. I picked up a Bosch blue when Screwfix had
them on offer for £100 and so far (touch wood) no probs.

--
John Stumbles

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 May 2008 22:40:37 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to the
chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

Get a Bosch? :-)

My Makita SDS developed a fault where it would spray black sludge around
when it got hot and bothered. I picked up a Bosch blue when Screwfix had
them on offer for £100 and so far (touch wood) no probs.

The Kress can be fixed. They have a 5 year guarantee, it may still be
inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to
the chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Don't you occasionally dip a drill (chuck end) into grease? I do with my
DeWalt and that grease turns black.

What model no Dave?

I grease my Makita as the instruction manual says to do so. This usually
results in the black sludge. The heat must soften the grease up and mix with
the dust.

The instructions on my My DeWalt says "do not grease" so I never have. The
DeWalt has never has the black gunge.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. Nothing I've ever added to
the chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Don't you occasionally dip a drill (chuck end) into grease? I do with my
DeWalt and that grease turns black.

What model no Dave?

I grease my Makita as the instruction manual says to do so. This usually
results in the black sludge. The heat must soften the grease up and mix

with
the dust.

The instructions on my My DeWalt says "do not grease" so I never have. The
DeWalt has never has the black gunge.

Cheers

Adam

No doubt the grease in his was not high melting point?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadworth wrote:
Don't you occasionally dip a drill (chuck end) into grease? I do with
my DeWalt and that grease turns black.

What model no Dave?

Can't remember offhand - it was the first reasonably priced lightweight
SDS. Although reasonable then was about 200 quid. If you really want to
know I'll look.

I grease my Makita as the instruction manual says to do so. This usually
results in the black sludge. The heat must soften the grease up and mix
with the dust.

The instructions on my My DeWalt says "do not grease" so I never have.
The DeWalt has never has the black gunge.

I'm sure mine said to grease otherwise I'd not have bothered? Not sure I
could find the instructions now.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

The Kress can be fixed. They have a 5 year guarantee, it may still be
inside.

The grease certainly isn't.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 23:40, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Using my Wickes/Kress SDS today in chisel mode & noticed a black sludge
creeping from the chuck along the chisel. *Nothing I've ever added to the
chuck, because I've never added anything.

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

My SDS (chepao from screwfix) has always done it, it comes from the
hammer action at the back, when it warms up it runs out the front!!
they must have known as there is a little hatch, and a pot of grease
to top it up! been working fine (and hard) for 5 years !!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

My SDS (chepao from screwfix) has always done it, it comes from the
hammer action at the back, when it warms up it runs out the front!!
they must have known as there is a little hatch, and a pot of grease
to top it up! been working fine (and hard) for 5 years !!

Ditto. The black colour comes from fretting wear, probably from the
hammering faces: very finely divided iron and/or iron oxide. You need very
little wear to make the grease black: don't worry about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
I suspect that 'this is not a good thing'.

Any ideas?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

My SDS (chepao from screwfix) has always done it, it comes from the
hammer action at the back, when it warms up it runs out the front!!
they must have known as there is a little hatch, and a pot of grease
to top it up! been working fine (and hard) for 5 years !!

Ditto. The black colour comes from fretting wear, probably from the
hammering faces: very finely divided iron and/or iron oxide. You need
very little wear to make the grease black: don't worry about it.

It was being used in chisel mode at the time, it did get rather warm so I
guess thats what it was.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Radiator black sludge Mike P UK diy 2 August 1st 07 10:18 AM
washer - sludge motsbc Home Repair 0 September 17th 06 12:26 AM
washer - sludge motsbc Home Repair 0 September 17th 06 12:24 AM
Central heating system de-sludge or just heat-exchanger de-sludge? Don Rojo UK diy 6 October 15th 04 07:13 AM
Sludge! Andy Turnbull UK diy 9 November 16th 03 10:31 PM