Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Problem with Speedtouch 780 WL Router

Hi All,

I have been trying to tighten security on a Speedtouch 780 WL router.
I have enabled WEP,, and it is working ok. I then thought it would
make sense to add an administrator password.

I clicked on admin and change password.

left the old password field blank and put the new password into the
New Password and Confirm boxes (it's a fairly basic 4 alphanumeric
(but not in the dictionary) password) and clicked change password.

I was then prompted to enter a username and password as the box
requires these (now).

Only putting blank or Administrator or Admin as the username and the
new (or old) password as the password doesn't get me in!

It's a pretty unique password, and being as it had to be entered
twice, I can't see that I can have typed it wrong.

Anyone know of any wierd behaviour with these routers with regard to
passwords?

Should I be using a different username?

Any ideas?

Virgin suggested a hardware reset, but i'd rather not go down that
route If I can avoid it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Only putting blank or Administrator or Admin as the username and the
new (or old) password as the password doesn't get me in!

It's a pretty unique password, and being as it had to be entered
twice, I can't see that I can have typed it wrong.

Anyone know of any wierd behaviour with these routers with regard to
passwords?

Should I be using a different username?

Any ideas?

Virgin suggested a hardware reset, but i'd rather not go down that
route If I can avoid it.

did you try 'Admin' in lower case?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
wrote in message
Only putting blank or Administrator or Admin as the username and the
new (or old) password as the password doesn't get me in!

It's a pretty unique password, and being as it had to be entered
twice, I can't see that I can have typed it wrong.

Anyone know of any wierd behaviour with these routers with regard to
passwords?

Should I be using a different username?

Any ideas?

Virgin suggested a hardware reset, but i'd rather not go down that
route If I can avoid it.

did you try 'Admin' in lower case?

Have you tried a different browser?
iirc with one SpeedTouch I had (a 510v4) with the latest firmware it
didn't like authenticating with IE7 (but was fine with IE6 and FF)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have been trying to tighten security on a Speedtouch 780 WL router.
I have enabled WEP,, and it is working ok. I then thought it would
make sense to add an administrator password.

Can it handle WPA instead ?

WEP is trivially easy to crack as it transmits the password in plain
text, so all someone has to do to use your net connection is "sniff"
enough packets to see the password. There are even programs that
automate this detection available for free.

An additional, although it probably still wouldn't help much :-} would
be to lock down which MAC addresses are allowed to use the router -
but again, it's relatively easy to detect the MAC of a machine, and
you can "tweak" the MAC address of another machine to make it think
it's one of the allowed addresses.

As far as the admin password is concerned, as long as you don't have
remote access enabled, you should only be able to access the router
config "locally" - you may be able to tell it to only accept admin
requests from a machine with direct cable connection. If they've got
that far, they're already in your house, and you have a bigger problem
than them trying to **** around with your router settings :-}

Round Over Problem- Too big for router? ktow Woodworking 5 May 5th 07 06:50 PM
Skil router problem Alfred Loizeaux Home Repair 16 December 17th 05 04:17 PM
Craftsman Router Problem Rob Kubo Woodworking 1 August 31st 05 09:26 PM
router problem Brian Woodworking 5 July 4th 05 11:02 AM
Novice's router problem Wade Lippman Woodworking 6 September 22nd 03 03:14 AM