Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 gang pull cord

In my bathroom I currently have 1 pull cord which operates both the
light and the extractor fan. I want to separate the 2 functions, but
without a whole extra switch.

So what I want to know is, can you get a pull cord switch with 2 cords
coming out, which can operate different things?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
In my bathroom I currently have 1 pull cord which operates both the
light and the extractor fan. I want to separate the 2 functions, but
without a whole extra switch.

So what I want to know is, can you get a pull cord switch with 2 cords
coming out, which can operate different things?

And then you have to remember what cord operates what.

What a silly post.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You may find building regs require the fan to operate with the light
switch.

I've never heard of any type of pull cord switch other than the
standard item.

However ISTR the new 17th Ed wiring regulations permits conventional
wall switches in bathrooms, provided they're rcd protected - assuming
separate switching meet the BR on ventilation.

Another alternative is a moisture sensitive extraction fan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
You may find building regs require the fan to operate with the light
switch.

I've never heard of any type of pull cord switch other than the
standard item.

However ISTR the new 17th Ed wiring regulations permits conventional
wall switches in bathrooms, provided they're rcd protected - assuming
separate switching meet the BR on ventilation.

Another alternative is a moisture sensitive extraction fan.

Best solution for the fan is a ceiling mounted passive infared and just a
single pull switch for the light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2008 03:05:14 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be
" wrote this:-

However ISTR the new 17th Ed wiring regulations permits conventional
wall switches in bathrooms,

The 16th and earlier editions also permitted wall switches, provided
they were out of reach of someone using a bath or shower (which
generally means a big bathroom).

Another alternative is a moisture sensitive extraction fan.

Useful if the aim is to extract moisture. Personally I think the are
an excellent idea in such circumstances, provided people are willing
to open the window when necessary as well.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:16:07 GMT someone who may be "George"
wrote this:-

Best solution for the fan is a ceiling mounted passive infared and just a
single pull switch for the light.

For a toilet perhaps, but then (at least in this country) there is
no requirement for a fan in a toilet if it has an opening window.

In a room with a bath or shower people are likely to not work out
how an automatic fan works, leave the window closed when they vacate
the room and thus cause mould. A humidity sensor deals with this
problem.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote this:-

However ISTR the new 17th Ed wiring regulations permits conventional
wall switches in bathrooms,

The 16th and earlier editions also permitted wall switches, provided
they were out of reach of someone using a bath or shower (which
generally means a big bathroom).

Another alternative is a moisture sensitive extraction fan.

Useful if the aim is to extract moisture. Personally I think the are
an excellent idea in such circumstances, provided people are willing
to open the window when necessary as well.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

What are you on about humidity sensor? when you have a crap the place stinks
hence the fan coming into action when you park your bottom on the
toilet...whats the use of the fan not operating when the room is not humid
enough to operate when you're having a crap?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Hansen wrote:
The 16th and earlier editions also permitted wall switches, provided
they were out of reach of someone using a bath or shower (which
generally means a big bathroom).

I'd say it would be a very small bathroom if you could reach such a switch
from the bath or shower. Even with my original - which was just big enough
for a bath and basin - no bog - you wouldn't have been able to.

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On May 19, 10:48 am, "George" wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

In my bathroom I currently have 1 pull cord which operates both the
light and the extractor fan. I want to separate the 2 functions, but
without a whole extra switch.

So what I want to know is, can you get a pull cord switch with 2 cords
coming out, which can operate different things?

And then you have to remember what cord operates what.

You make one cord say 6 inches shorter than the other, so it's trivial
to tell the difference...

What a silly post.

the reply was for sure.

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:57:17 +0100 someone who may be "Dave Plowman
(News)" wrote this:-

The 16th and earlier editions also permitted wall switches, provided
they were out of reach of someone using a bath or shower (which
generally means a big bathroom).

I'd say it would be a very small bathroom if you could reach such a switch
from the bath or shower. Even with my original - which was just big enough
for a bath and basin - no bog - you wouldn't have been able to.

Depends on the layout. In particular the relationship between the
bath/shower and the door (where the switch is likely to be).

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

In my bathroom I currently have 1 pull cord which operates both the
light and the extractor fan. I want to separate the 2 functions, but
without a whole extra switch.

So what I want to know is, can you get a pull cord switch with 2 cords
coming out, which can operate different things?

And then you have to remember what cord operates what.

You make one cord say 6 inches shorter than the other, so it's trivial
to tell the difference...

What a silly post.

the reply was for sure.

J^n

And what about when relatives,friends come to stay...do they take up bell
ringing.lol

No the reply was valid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote this:-

However ISTR the new 17th Ed wiring regulations permits conventional
wall switches in bathrooms,

The 16th and earlier editions also permitted wall switches, provided
they were out of reach of someone using a bath or shower (which
generally means a big bathroom).

Another alternative is a moisture sensitive extraction fan.

Useful if the aim is to extract moisture. Personally I think the are
an excellent idea in such circumstances, provided people are willing
to open the window when necessary as well.

What are you on about humidity sensor? when you have a crap the place stinks
hence the fan coming into action when you park your bottom on the
toilet...whats the use of the fan not operating when the room is not humid
enough to operate when you're having a crap?

My parents have a motion sensor attached to their extractor fan, which
makes a noise like a Lancaster bomber taking off. When visiting, before
I even remove my trousers, my first task is to bung a bit of bogpaper
over the sensor so that 2 mins later I can read the Sunday Times in peace.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote this:-

However ISTR the new 17th Ed wiring regulations permits conventional
wall switches in bathrooms,

The 16th and earlier editions also permitted wall switches, provided
they were out of reach of someone using a bath or shower (which
generally means a big bathroom).

Particularly if the bathroom wall is of a stud partition construction,
it's usually a doddle to mount the switch in the same position on the
*outside* wall of the bathroom.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote this:-

[...]

What if its a spicey curry moment?

Maybe your dad used an old air raid siren thinking it was an extractor fan.
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:47:18 GMT someone who may be "George"
wrote this:-

Another alternative is a moisture sensitive extraction fan.

Useful if the aim is to extract moisture. Personally I think the are
an excellent idea in such circumstances, provided people are willing
to open the window when necessary as well.

What are you on about humidity sensor?

A little comprehension should indicate what.

when you have a crap the place stinks

That is when opening the window is necessary.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
When visiting, before I even remove my trousers, my first task is to
bung a bit of bogpaper over the sensor so that 2 mins later I can read
the Sunday Times in peace.

Too much information.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote this:-

[...]

Did you go and watch the Lancaster over the Derwent on Friday? A Stitfire
and Hurricane as extras.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Particularly if the bathroom wall is of a stud partition construction,
it's usually a doddle to mount the switch in the same position on the
*outside* wall of the bathroom.

David

.... whereupon your children decide it's a great joke to turn off the
light when you're in the bath.

All this auto stuff is all very well except for the pee in the night
case. Sometimes you do NOT want it coming on, because of the noise.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote this:-

[...]

In my last house with the humidity controlled fan I ftted a pull switch that
was momentary action to start the fan (made by removing the latching bit
from standard pull switch). Thus if you accidentally dropped a stinker you
just momentarily pulled the cord to start the fan to clear the air.

If you get a humidity contolled fan get a temperature compensated one (about
£100 or more) or else you will find it will just turn itself on in winter
when it gets cold or it will not turn on in the summer when it gets hot.
Went through numerous humidty controlled fans (could alter humidity trip
point, but there was not a setting suitable for both summer and winter)
before twigging that you need a temperature compensated one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:

" wrote this:-

[...]

I wish... would have probably done so if I'd known about it before it
had happened! (and yes, that was why the Lancaster was in my mind)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote:

" wrote this:-

[...]

Call me lucky but I was in Sheffield that morning. I went to watch it. Three
fly overs from the Lancaster.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT [was 2 gang pull cord]

ARWadworth wrote in

"Lobster" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message

snip

Did you go and watch the Lancaster over the Derwent on Friday? A
Stitfire and Hurricane as extras.

I wish... would have probably done so if I'd known about it before
it had happened! (and yes, that was why the Lancaster was in my mind)

Call me lucky but I was in Sheffield that morning. I went to watch
it. Three fly overs from the Lancaster.

Here's one on the ground - 582 Pathfinder Squadron.

I'm just tidying up a few folds, rips and water stains on the original pic
which is about 100cm wide.

http://www.mccourt.org.uk/lanc/lancaster3.jpg

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterMcC" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote in

"Lobster" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message

snip

Did you go and watch the Lancaster over the Derwent on Friday? A
Stitfire and Hurricane as extras.

I wish... would have probably done so if I'd known about it before
it had happened! (and yes, that was why the Lancaster was in my mind)

Call me lucky but I was in Sheffield that morning. I went to watch
it. Three fly overs from the Lancaster.

Here's one on the ground - 582 Pathfinder Squadron.

I'm just tidying up a few folds, rips and water stains on the original pic
which is about 100cm wide.

http://www.mccourt.org.uk/lanc/lancaster3.jpg

--
PeterMcC

One of those men must be a relative of yours. What a brilliant photo.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 May 2008 19:31:47 UTC, "ARWadworth"
wrote:

Did you go and watch the Lancaster over the Derwent on Friday? A Stitfire
and Hurricane as extras.

I wish... would have probably done so if I'd known about it before it had
happened! (and yes, that was why the Lancaster was in my mind)

Call me lucky but I was in Sheffield that morning. I went to watch it. Three
fly overs from the Lancaster.

We had a fly past (twice) from a Lancaster three or four years ago; I
forget the occasion. But it flew past very low, along the coast, and we
were on the high part of the seafront. It was *really* close!

(Herne Bay in Kent; many will know why that's significant).

Incidentally, there was a double page picture of a Lancaster cockpit in
the Mail on Sunday this week. My son would like a poster of this sort of
picture; anyone ever seen any?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterMcC
writes
ARWadworth wrote in

"Lobster" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message

snip

Did you go and watch the Lancaster over the Derwent on Friday? A
Stitfire and Hurricane as extras.

I wish... would have probably done so if I'd known about it before
it had happened! (and yes, that was why the Lancaster was in my mind)

Call me lucky but I was in Sheffield that morning. I went to watch
it. Three fly overs from the Lancaster.

Here's one on the ground - 582 Pathfinder Squadron.

I'm just tidying up a few folds, rips and water stains on the original pic
which is about 100cm wide.

http://www.mccourt.org.uk/lanc/lancaster3.jpg

That's one hell of a crew for just one aeroplane

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , PeterMcC
writes
ARWadworth wrote in

"Lobster" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message

snip

Did you go and watch the Lancaster over the Derwent on Friday? A
Stitfire and Hurricane as extras.

I wish... would have probably done so if I'd known about it before
it had happened! (and yes, that was why the Lancaster was in my mind)

Call me lucky but I was in Sheffield that morning. I went to watch
it. Three fly overs from the Lancaster.

Here's one on the ground - 582 Pathfinder Squadron.

I'm just tidying up a few folds, rips and water stains on the original pic
which is about 100cm wide.

http://www.mccourt.org.uk/lanc/lancaster3.jpg

That's one hell of a crew for just one aeroplane

It is one hell of an aeroplane.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadworth
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , PeterMcC
writes
ARWadworth wrote in

"Lobster" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
snip

Did you go and watch the Lancaster over the Derwent on Friday? A
Stitfire and Hurricane as extras.

I wish... would have probably done so if I'd known about it before
it had happened! (and yes, that was why the Lancaster was in my mind)

Call me lucky but I was in Sheffield that morning. I went to watch
it. Three fly overs from the Lancaster.

Here's one on the ground - 582 Pathfinder Squadron.

I'm just tidying up a few folds, rips and water stains on the original pic
which is about 100cm wide.

http://www.mccourt.org.uk/lanc/lancaster3.jpg

That's one hell of a crew for just one aeroplane

It is one hell of an aeroplane.

I know that

maybe I should have invested in a smiley or something there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:49:24 UTC, Owain
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
Incidentally, there was a double page picture of a Lancaster cockpit in
the Mail on Sunday this week. My son would like a poster of this sort of
picture; anyone ever seen any?

No Lancasters AFAICS, but http://www.transair.co.uk/ and click on
"posters" on the left hand menu.

Thanks - interesting site!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 May, 22:37, Andy Champ wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Particularly if the bathroom wall is of a stud partition construction,
it's usually a doddle to mount the switch in the same position on the
*outside* wall of the bathroom.

David

... whereupon your children decide it's a great joke to turn off the
light when you're in the bath.

All this auto stuff is all very well except for the pee in the night
case. Sometimes you do NOT want it coming on, because of the noise.

Andy

I'm slightly surprised that none of you have found the ideal
combination (IMO) - the humidity sensed fan with its own momentary
pull cord. I got such a thing off Ebay some 5 years ago for something
like £30 and it works excellently. It's got a label 'RDL' on it.

This does of course require your fan to be near the pan such that the
cord hangs nearby and you are reminded therefore to use it!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mark, Susan wrote:
Hi... In my bedroom I currently have a pull cord light switch. Im thinking
of having a long cord pendant light by the side of my bed... My question
is.... Is it possible to buy a PULL CORD light switch that would operate each
light fitting individually at separate times.... Kind regards.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rd-479901-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 04:44:04 UTC, Susan wrote:
replying to Mark, Susan wrote:
Hi... In my bedroom I currently have a pull cord light switch. Im thinking
of having a long cord pendant light by the side of my bed... My question
is.... Is it possible to buy a PULL CORD light switch that would operate each
light fitting individually at separate times.... Kind regards.

No. Such things existed long ago and it's doable to make them. Each pull of the cord turns a wheel 1/4 or 1/6th of a turn. Every other position is both off. Sticky out bits on the wheel press on microswitches - 6 way adds a 'both on' position. Or it could be done with a little digital logic & 2 relays.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 12:28:01 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 08/03/20 11:14, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 8 March 2020 04:44:04 UTC, Susan wrote:
replying to Mark, Susan wrote:

Hi... In my bedroom I currently have a pull cord light switch. Im thinking
of having a long cord pendant light by the side of my bed... My question
is.... Is it possible to buy a PULL CORD light switch that would operate each
light fitting individually at separate times.... Kind regards.

No. Such things existed long ago and it's doable to make them. Each pull of the cord turns a wheel 1/4 or 1/6th of a turn. Every other position is both off. Sticky out bits on the wheel press on microswitches - 6 way adds a 'both on' position. Or it could be done with a little digital logic & 2 relays.

"Mark's" original post for this was on Homeowners Hub in 2008...

Probably the easiest (but certainly not the cheapest) way to do this
today would be with a Quinetic 2-gang switch on the bedside table and
individual receivers for each light.

2 pullcords is as easy as it gets. Colour one to avoid confusion. I daresay it could also be done with relay logic! Another option is to use a semirigid drop rod to rotate a cam with microswitches. Or just drop the wires - eg 3 or 4 core - and fit 2 switches.

Susan's question was from today fwiw.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/20 16:09, wrote:
[...]

Where do you get that idea?
Quinetic receivers: find power cable to light fitting. Cut. Connect
receiver. Repeat for other light fitting. Ensure transmitter and
receivers talk to each other.
Pullcords: find power cable to light. Cut. connect cut ends to Wago or
other connector. Run cable to where pullcord switch will be placed.
Drill hole in ceiling. Screw switch to ceiling. Pull cable through and
connect. Connect to Wago. Repeat for other light fitting.

Of course, I could be wrong. Why not ask Adam which he thinks would take
longer?

Colour one to avoid confusion. I daresay it could also be done with
relay logic! Another option is to use a semirigid drop rod to rotate a
cam with microswitches. Or just drop the wires - eg 3 or 4 core - and
fit 2 switches.

Susan's question was from today fwiw.

I know; that's why I made the suggestion. I wouldn't have bothered if it
was from 2008.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

You don't need to colour thencords, just use different ends.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 16:47:25 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 08/03/20 16:09, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

we don't know which is easier because we don't know where the current switching points are. I'm sure the OP can decide on that for themselves.

And you left out the unreliability / short-livedness of consumer electronics. I prefer to fit something that should still be good in 30 years +.

NT