DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best wood for a rabbit run (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/249154-best-wood-rabbit-run.html)

PCPaul May 7th 08 08:17 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

I'm about to launch into making a few folding runs for small animals
(rabbits/guinea pigs) which will necessarily spend a lot of time sitting
on the grass.

The design I have in mind only needs a 1x1 frame, so that just about
brings nice woods like oak and ash into a reasonable price range.

What's the best wood to use for this application? (possibly with some
pet-safe preservative, but I'd like the wood to have some innate
resistance to rotting as well).

And as well as the *best* wood to use, what's the *sensible* wood to use?
I know there's probably some exotic species that wouldn't rot for 100
years, but at a ridiculous price...

devonsteve May 7th 08 08:21 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

On May 7, 8:17*pm, PCPaul wrote:
I'm about to launch into making a few folding runs for small animals
(rabbits/guinea pigs) which will necessarily spend a lot of time sitting
on the grass.

The design I have in mind only needs a 1x1 frame, so that just about
brings nice woods like oak and ash into a reasonable price range.

What's the best wood to use for this application? (possibly with some
*pet-safe preservative, but I'd like the wood to have some innate
resistance to rotting as well).

And as well as the *best* wood to use, what's the *sensible* wood to use?
I know there's probably some exotic species that wouldn't rot for 100
years, but at a ridiculous price...

Roofing batten will be the cheapest

Doki May 7th 08 08:31 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

"PCPaul" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to launch into making a few folding runs for small animals
(rabbits/guinea pigs) which will necessarily spend a lot of time sitting
on the grass.

The design I have in mind only needs a 1x1 frame, so that just about
brings nice woods like oak and ash into a reasonable price range.

What's the best wood to use for this application? (possibly with some
pet-safe preservative, but I'd like the wood to have some innate
resistance to rotting as well).

And as well as the *best* wood to use, what's the *sensible* wood to use?
I know there's probably some exotic species that wouldn't rot for 100
years, but at a ridiculous price...

A mate tells me Sitka spruce lasts well for bat boxes.

Doki May 7th 08 08:32 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

"Doki" wrote in message

"PCPaul" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to launch into making a few folding runs for small animals
(rabbits/guinea pigs) which will necessarily spend a lot of time sitting
on the grass.

The design I have in mind only needs a 1x1 frame, so that just about
brings nice woods like oak and ash into a reasonable price range.

What's the best wood to use for this application? (possibly with some
pet-safe preservative, but I'd like the wood to have some innate
resistance to rotting as well).

And as well as the *best* wood to use, what's the *sensible* wood to use?
I know there's probably some exotic species that wouldn't rot for 100
years, but at a ridiculous price...

A mate tells me Sitka spruce lasts well for bat boxes.

Should have added: bat boxes are never treated with any kind of wood
preserver.

Andy Burns[_4_] May 7th 08 09:57 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

On 07/05/2008 20:17, PCPaul wrote:

I'm about to launch into making a few folding runs for small animals
(rabbits/guinea pigs) [...] I'd like the wood to have some innate
resistance to rotting as well.

They'll gnaw it away before it has chance to rot!

TheOldFellow May 7th 08 10:29 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

On Wed, 07 May 2008 19:17:37 GMT
PCPaul wrote:

I'm about to launch into making a few folding runs for small animals
(rabbits/guinea pigs) which will necessarily spend a lot of time sitting
on the grass.

The design I have in mind only needs a 1x1 frame, so that just about
brings nice woods like oak and ash into a reasonable price range.

What's the best wood to use for this application? (possibly with some
pet-safe preservative, but I'd like the wood to have some innate
resistance to rotting as well).

And as well as the *best* wood to use, what's the *sensible* wood to use?
I know there's probably some exotic species that wouldn't rot for 100
years, but at a ridiculous price...

Cedar, white or red. Rot resistant, resinous - so probably unpalatable.

R.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] May 7th 08 10:35 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

On Wed, 7 May 2008 12:21:43 -0700 (PDT), devonsteve wrote:

Roofing batten will be the cheapest

But if treated probably not to good for the health of occupants of the
run.

Unless The OP knows he has a market for bespoke rabbit runs in oak then
I'd stick to softwood. Rabbits will gnaw at the timber and it will be
weakened by that before it rots...

--
Cheers
Dave.

The Natural Philosopher May 7th 08 11:00 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

PCPaul wrote:
I'm about to launch into making a few folding runs for small animals
(rabbits/guinea pigs) which will necessarily spend a lot of time sitting
on the grass.

The design I have in mind only needs a 1x1 frame, so that just about
brings nice woods like oak and ash into a reasonable price range.

What's the best wood to use for this application? (possibly with some
pet-safe preservative, but I'd like the wood to have some innate
resistance to rotting as well).

And as well as the *best* wood to use, what's the *sensible* wood to use?
I know there's probably some exotic species that wouldn't rot for 100
years, but at a ridiculous price...

the rabbots will rot in less than q100 years.

We used to use orange boxes got free from the grcers.

Pallets are good.

Let's face it, Nr Rabbit wont last more than 5-7 years, if you are
unlucky, and if lucky will get eaten by a fox tomorrow.
I wouldn't spend a penny on the bloody things. Well actually that is
EXACTLY what I WOULD do. Useless bloddy pets. Nibble bibble bibble.
Best stewed with sage.

Andy Champ May 7th 08 11:07 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

Andy Burns wrote:

They'll gnaw it away before it has chance to rot!

You need to build it with the wood covered in netting on the inside. It
won't stop them, but it'll slow 'em down.

Andy

Mark May 8th 08 10:34 AM

Best wood for a rabbit run

On Wed, 7 May 2008 22:29:07 +0100, TheOldFellow
wrote:

On Wed, 07 May 2008 19:17:37 GMT
PCPaul wrote:

I'm about to launch into making a few folding runs for small animals
(rabbits/guinea pigs) which will necessarily spend a lot of time sitting
on the grass.

The design I have in mind only needs a 1x1 frame, so that just about
brings nice woods like oak and ash into a reasonable price range.

What's the best wood to use for this application? (possibly with some
pet-safe preservative, but I'd like the wood to have some innate
resistance to rotting as well).

And as well as the *best* wood to use, what's the *sensible* wood to use?
I know there's probably some exotic species that wouldn't rot for 100
years, but at a ridiculous price...

Cedar, white or red. Rot resistant, resinous - so probably unpalatable.

IME bunnies will eat almost anything given the oppurtunity. We used
to allow the kids' rabbits inside any they managed to chew the plaster
off a corner of the wall!

Use cheap wood and replace when necessary.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Clint Sharp May 8th 08 11:19 PM

Best wood for a rabbit run

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Best stewed with sage.

Filleted, coated in curry powder and shallow fried. Actually, I bet
Thumper tikka massala would be nice.
--
Clint Sharp