Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lifting paving slabs - special tool?

Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used to lift
one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 May, 09:21, "Malcolm H" wrote:
Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used to lift
one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

How big are the gaps ?
Crowbar ?
Buy it at any DIY or builders merchants.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 May, 09:21, "Malcolm H" wrote:
Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used to lift
one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

I've not seen a special tool for this job but I've managed to do it
before with a couple of loops of galvanised fencing wire worked into
the inter-slab gaps and hooked round diagonally opposite corners. I
then passed a stout length of timber through the loops to lift the
slab.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

1501 wrote:
On 7 May, 09:21, "Malcolm H" wrote:
Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used
to lift one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

I've not seen a special tool for this job but I've managed to do it
before with a couple of loops of galvanised fencing wire worked into
the inter-slab gaps and hooked round diagonally opposite corners. I
then passed a stout length of timber through the loops to lift the
slab.

That's clever, that is! Files away to be forgotten

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

1501 wrote:
On 7 May, 09:21, "Malcolm H" wrote:
Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used to lift
one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

I've not seen a special tool for this job but I've managed to do it
before with a couple of loops of galvanised fencing wire worked into
the inter-slab gaps and hooked round diagonally opposite corners. I
then passed a stout length of timber through the loops to lift the
slab.

http://www.muscroft-eng.demon.co.uk/safety.htm

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm H wrote:
Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used
to lift one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

For small ones, you might get away with this

http://tinyurl.com/4d3lzl

or this one on ebay that looks a bit more robust

http://tinyurl.com/4a45ru

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 May 2008 08:21:47 +0000, Malcolm H wrote:

Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used to lift
one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

==================================
Use the corner of an ordinary (strong) garden spade; do a partial lift and
wedge an old screwdriver into the gap before re-inserting the spade for a
final lift.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 08:21:47 +0000, Malcolm H wrote:

Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used to lift
one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

==================================
Use the corner of an ordinary (strong) garden spade; do a partial lift and
wedge an old screwdriver into the gap before re-inserting the spade for a
final lift.

Cic.

Lifting a single slab in the middle of a load of others can be nigh on
impossible. I've only ever had to do it when the single slab was broken
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 7 May,
Stuart Noble wrote:

Cicero wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 08:21:47 +0000, Malcolm H wrote:

Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used to
lift
one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

==================================
Use the corner of an ordinary (strong) garden spade; do a partial lift
and
wedge an old screwdriver into the gap before re-inserting the spade for
final lift.

Cic.

Lifting a single slab in the middle of a load of others can be nigh on
impossible. I've only ever had to do it when the single slab was broken

A wooden frame with lifting handles, and a thick plywood back. Rubber seal
around edge, and a hole for a vacuum cleaner hose. Sit this on back of
slab,
attach vacuum, and lift with handles. Job done!

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

You must be joking - you would need a positive displacement vacuum pump -
not a vacuum cleaner. Paving contractors in my local area used such a
device - with counterbalances to lay paving in the city centre. Made it look
easy! No doubt a Health and Safety issue now to minimise manual handling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm H" wrote in message
Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used to
lift one of them?

There is a device called a slab lifter

If so where can I buy one?

Engineering or tools suppliers, but they run into a few hundred quid each.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seriously? I'm looking forward to you videoing this and sticking it on
YouTube for us all to see............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Malcolm H, Cap'n Crook wrote:
A bailing hook or something of that shape to get between the slabs, and turn
and lift - two of these would make the job easier.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ol-477236-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is Cormaics website Paving Expert still accessible?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2018 21:47, Cynic wrote:
Is Cormaics website Paving Expert still accessible?

yup:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

(there is a book as well)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 20:44:03 +0000, Cap'n Crook wrote:

replying to Malcolm H...

who posted on May 7, 2008...

Missed this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ did you?

--
TOJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well its an eternal question and I suspect the is this still... shows it was
not missed perhaps?

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news

cutting paving slabs RobertL UK diy 13 October 3rd 07 03:17 PM
cutting slate paving slabs chris UK diy 8 July 11th 07 11:31 AM
Cutting Paving Slabs [email protected] UK diy 24 August 7th 06 03:04 PM
TIP Removing paint from paving slabs Stuart Noble UK diy 0 May 16th 06 11:27 AM
Paving Slabs Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld UK diy 9 March 8th 04 07:53 PM