Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Skimming walls

We have stripped the wallpaper off the walls in our house - these are
what we call gibralter board, what the Americans call drywall or
sheetrock, I don't know what it's called in the UK. Now we will hire
someone to skim them with plaster (to be finally painted). The spatula
used in removing the paper has left some gouges, with occasional little
flaps of drywall paper sticking up.

One of the tradesmen who has given us a quote says that the walls must
be sanded first to smooth off the protrusions, then painted with an
oil-based sealer before the skimming. Another says sanding is not
necessary, he proposes to paint with sealer then start applying the
plaster. In both cases the plaster will be applied in two or three layers.

We are concerned about this inconsistency. Is it necessary to sand
first? I would have thought the little bits of paper sticking out would
either require extra thickness of plaster to cover them, or would tend
to come through to the surface and maybe create irregularities, perhaps
responding differently to paint. How thick would the total plaster
layer be normally?

Thanks in advance for advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gib Bogle writes:
We have stripped the wallpaper off the walls in our house - these are
what we call gibralter board, what the Americans call drywall or
sheetrock, I don't know what it's called in the UK. Now we will hire
someone to skim them with plaster (to be finally painted). The spatula
used in removing the paper has left some gouges, with occasional little
flaps of drywall paper sticking up.

One of the tradesmen who has given us a quote says that the walls must
be sanded first to smooth off the protrusions, then painted with an
oil-based sealer before the skimming.

Sounds bizzare.

Another says sanding is not
necessary, he proposes to paint with sealer then start applying the
plaster. In both cases the plaster will be applied in two or three layers.

Sounds reasonable.

We are concerned about this inconsistency. Is it necessary to sand
first? I would have thought the little bits of paper sticking out would
either require extra thickness of plaster to cover them, or would tend
to come through to the surface and maybe create irregularities, perhaps
responding differently to paint. How thick would the total plaster
layer be normally?

Depends on the state of the wall. New plasterboard would normally
be a couple of mm (could even be less). A manky wall might need a
good deal more, particularly if he's contemplating 3 coats (2 is
normally enough, or even just one on plasterboard).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Skimming Cyberdog UK diy 6 April 17th 06 04:42 PM
Skimming a Bay [email protected] UK diy 8 November 3rd 05 10:21 AM
Cost of Skimming Walls whywaites UK diy 1 August 20th 05 02:09 PM
skimming over old walls bill UK diy 3 February 22nd 05 07:54 PM
Skimming over painted walls? Miles Reading UK diy 1 February 7th 05 04:59 PM