DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drip-drip-drip driving us mad (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/246695-drip-drip-drip-driving-us-mad.html)

Les Desser April 22nd 08 07:35 PM

Drip-drip-drip driving us mad

We had a loft extension build a year ago.

There is a "feature" left from the original roof that consists of a
small pitched roof with tiles at the old roof level.

The down pipe from the flat roof gutter has an S bend and an open shoe
resting on the small pitched roof. The water then runs down a tile or
two to the gutter below it.

When it is raining there is no problem. But once the rain has stopped
and the final run-off from the top roof is just a small trickle then we
get a constant drip-drip which is driving us mad - as it is just outside
the bedroom window.

What seems to be happening is that somehow, instead of running down the
inside of the down-pipe as one would expect from a S bend, there is a
drip coming straight down the middle of the pipe and hitting the bottom
of the shoe which is resting on the roof tile.

I have checked at roof level and all is well. In any event, the S bend
should ensure that the water runs down the inside pipe wall.

There must be some lip at the bottom of the S bend that is throwing the
water off the wall.

Any ideas what I can do, short of dismantling the pipe-work? (not very
simple being three floors up)
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

R D S April 22nd 08 08:50 PM

"Les Desser" wrote in message
[...]

Put a rope there, the water should run down that rather than freefalling.

Les Desser April 22nd 08 09:14 PM

Drip-drip-drip driving us mad

In article , R D S
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:50:23 writes

Any ideas what I can do, short of dismantling the pipe-work? (not very
simple being three floors up)

Put a rope there, the water should run down that rather than
freefalling.

Simple! Well worth a try. Now I just have to find the right type of
rope. I have some nylon (or similar artificial fibre) rope about 5-6 mm
diameter somewhere. I wonder if that will do.

I can see some fun and games getting the rope past the S bend but I'm
sure we'll get there.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

George \(dicegeorge\) April 22nd 08 11:36 PM

Drip-drip-drip driving us mad

maybe more wick-like rope would be better than nylon rope..

Les Desser April 23rd 08 09:14 AM

Drip-drip-drip driving us mad

In article , "George (dicegeorge)"
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:36:34 writes

maybe more wick-like rope would be better than nylon rope..

That did go through my mind, but the nylon one I have got ....

You are probably right - probably worth hunting for something better.