Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Emulsion over undercoat?

We've just sanded down the walls in the dining room. I got a bit
carried away leveling the edge of the vertical pipe boxing in the
corner, so parts of the batten and the edge of the ply sheet are
exposed. The ply face is still covered and the other edge of the ply
is in the corner, so no problems there.

The boxing had previously been painted with the same emulsion as the
rest of the room and blended in fine, so we'd like to do that again.

Obviously, I'd prefer to just emulsion without undercoat, but is it
necessary to use undercoat on the batten and ply edge first? Will
that create problems when we emulsion over it? Do I need to sand off
all of the old emulsion first?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We've just sanded down the walls in the dining room. I got a bit
carried away leveling the edge of the vertical pipe boxing in the
corner, so parts of the batten and the edge of the ply sheet are
exposed. The ply face is still covered and the other edge of the ply
is in the corner, so no problems there.

The boxing had previously been painted with the same emulsion as the
rest of the room and blended in fine, so we'd like to do that again.

Obviously, I'd prefer to just emulsion without undercoat, but is it
necessary to use undercoat on the batten and ply edge first? Will
that create problems when we emulsion over it? Do I need to sand off
all of the old emulsion first?

Thanks.

In my experience, if the area is exposed, in the sense that it is often
touched, then prime it.
If its out of the way, emulsion should be fine.
Emulsion works on most surfaces but is useless when a lot of contact is
made, witness areas around light switches etc.