DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Birds flying into Patio Windows (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/243251-birds-flying-into-patio-windows.html)

Merryterry[_2_] April 11th 08 06:28 PM

Birds flying into Patio Windows

We have had several birds fly into our patio windows and stun
themselves. Does anybody know where I can buy the 'stick on shapes'
that I can put on the windows to show there is a window there?

I dont even know what they are called

jim April 11th 08 06:35 PM

On 11 Apr, 18:28, Merryterry wrote:
We have had several birds fly into our patio windows and stun
themselves. Does anybody know where I can buy the 'stick on shapes'
that I can put on the windows to show there is a window there?

I dont even know what they are called

RSPB sell them in their catalogue and he-

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/mall/pro...pb/R0973/81756

Suspect cheaper solutions are out there but hey it is for charity!

Cheers
Jim

Dave Liquorice[_2_] April 11th 08 11:04 PM

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:28:04 -0700 (PDT), Merryterry wrote:

We have had several birds fly into our patio windows and stun
themselves. Does anybody know where I can buy the 'stick on shapes'
that I can put on the windows to show there is a window there?

Good grief, whats wrong with some cut out bits of paper and sticky tape?

Birds don't normally fly into windows, is there a view across the room and
through another window or a big mirror giveing the impression of a tunnel?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Newshound April 11th 08 11:59 PM

Birds flying into Patio Windows

Good grief, whats wrong with some cut out bits of paper and sticky tape?

Birds don't normally fly into windows, is there a view across the room and
through another window or a big mirror giveing the impression of a tunnel?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Only had this happen once; looked out expecting to find a stunned thrush on
the patio, only to find a sparrowhawk eating said thrush.

Andrew Gabriel April 12th 08 12:39 AM

Birds flying into Patio Windows

In article ,
"newshound" writes:

Good grief, whats wrong with some cut out bits of paper and sticky tape?

Birds don't normally fly into windows, is there a view across the room and
through another window or a big mirror giveing the impression of a tunnel?

Only had this happen once; looked out expecting to find a stunned thrush on
the patio, only to find a sparrowhawk eating said thrush.

My parents have two large dining room windows, and occasionally birds
try and fly through. I recall early one morning when I was a teenager
and staying in the house alone, I was woken by a loud bang which sounded
like a football being kicked into a large window. Walked into the dining
room still half asleep, and there was a white dust mark in the shape of
a large bird with fully extended wings in the middle of the glass.
Looked out of the window to see a pigeon with a broken neck on the ground.
Was very strange (not to say rather eerie at the time) how it left a
perfect print of itself on the glass.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Rod April 12th 08 08:02 AM

Birds flying into Patio Windows

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
snip
My parents have two large dining room windows, and occasionally birds
try and fly through. I recall early one morning when I was a teenager
and staying in the house alone, I was woken by a loud bang which sounded
like a football being kicked into a large window. Walked into the dining
room still half asleep, and there was a white dust mark in the shape of
a large bird with fully extended wings in the middle of the glass.
Looked out of the window to see a pigeon with a broken neck on the ground.
Was very strange (not to say rather eerie at the time) how it left a
perfect print of itself on the glass.

Ahhhh! - Is that how the Turin shroud was made?

--
Rod

onset.

Dave Osborne April 12th 08 10:31 AM

Merryterry wrote:
We have had several birds fly into our patio windows and stun
themselves. Does anybody know where I can buy the 'stick on shapes'
that I can put on the windows to show there is a window there?

I dont even know what they are called

They're called manifestations.

Google for "glass manifestation".

HTH Rumble

Dave Liquorice[_2_] April 12th 08 10:39 PM

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:43:06 +0100, Anne Jackson wrote:

Birds don't normally fly into windows,

Yes they do! I can guarantee that within days of cleaning my windows,

We rarely clean our windows, the rain driven by the gales does that for
us... And most aren't "picture" windows which may be another factor.

Not in any of _my_ rooms, there's not, with the possible exception
of the window on the upstairs landing.

Maybe the clean windows reflect the outside scene rather too well making
it look like the open?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andy Champ April 13th 08 11:26 AM

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Maybe the clean windows reflect the outside scene rather too well making
it look like the open?

Pretty sure that's it.

My parents had a picture window in a house once that they had to net in
the end, so many birds flew into it. We get a few, and judging by the
impact marks they are frantically trying to dodge their own reflections
at the time of collision!

Andy