Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing chuck from Black & Decker drill?

These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Put the chuck key in the chuck and give it a sharp wack with a hammer in the
anti clockwise direction

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graz wrote:

These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Every B&D drill I've had has had a *right* hand thread on the chuck.
[Otherwise it would be in danger of coming loose when drilling in the normal
direction].

The best way of removing the chuck is to use the chuck key and a hammer.
Insert the key so that it is in a horizontal plane on the RHS when looking
from behind the drill (as per the illustration at
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=19641) and give the
end of the key a sharp downward tap with the hammer. It should then unscrew
easily by hand.

Do you have a handbook for the drill? If so, it almost certainly tells you
the same thing.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Put the chuck key in the chuck and give it a sharp wack with a hammer in the
anti clockwise direction

Remembering to first check there's not a crosshead left-hand threaded
screw down the bottom of the inside of the chuck.
If there is and you fail to spot it and you unscrew the chuck firmly
enough the screw will snap off.
DAMHIK, IJD, OK.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:21:30 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Put the chuck key in the chuck and give it a sharp wack with a hammer in the
anti clockwise direction

Ah, I tried that and only managed to bend the chuck key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:32:42 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Graz wrote:

These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Every B&D drill I've had has had a *right* hand thread on the chuck.
[Otherwise it would be in danger of coming loose when drilling in the normal
direction].

That makes sense. I was possibly thinking of the screw inside the
chuck (and this one doesn't have a screw).

The best way of removing the chuck is to use the chuck key and a hammer.
Insert the key so that it is in a horizontal plane on the RHS when looking
from behind the drill (as per the illustration at
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=19641) and give the
end of the key a sharp downward tap with the hammer. It should then unscrew
easily by hand.

Presumably with the chuck open as far as it will open?

Do you have a handbook for the drill? If so, it almost certainly tells you
the same thing.

Unfortunately, no handbook.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Put the chuck key in the chuck and give it a sharp wack with a hammer in the
anti clockwise direction

OK, please ignore earlier reply. I kept whacking it and it did
unscrew.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Insert the key so that it is in a horizontal plane on the RHS when looking
from behind the drill (as per the illustration at
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=19641) and give the
end of the key a sharp downward tap with the hammer. It should then unscrew
easily by hand.

I found that after about 10 years of doing this to change
attachments, eventually the gearbox breaks (a splined shaft
stripped). Changing attachments on drills is rather a thing
of the past now though.

Presumably with the chuck open as far as it will open?

Doesn't make any difference -- you aren't putting any force
across the chuck openening/closing mechanism, i.e. you aren't
aiming to twist the chuck key, but rather to twist the chuck.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Apr 2008 13:19:18 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

wrote:

Insert the key so that it is in a horizontal plane on the RHS when looking
from behind the drill (as per the illustration at
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=19641) and give the
end of the key a sharp downward tap with the hammer. It should then unscrew
easily by hand.

I found that after about 10 years of doing this to change
attachments, eventually the gearbox breaks (a splined shaft
stripped). Changing attachments on drills is rather a thing
of the past now though.

Presumably with the chuck open as far as it will open?

Doesn't make any difference -- you aren't putting any force
across the chuck openening/closing mechanism, i.e. you aren't
aiming to twist the chuck key, but rather to twist the chuck.

I thought the idea was to have the chuck as far open as it would go
and then apply impact force to the chuck key in the direction of
opening the chuck, if you see what I mean. That's what worked for
me, anyway.

In any event, I was under the misguided impression that all Jacobs
chucks were alike. The one that came off the drill had a half-inch
threaded stub attached, the one I was hoping to replace it with
didn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graz wrote:
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

Angle grinder.

Sorry, it was my turn :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Graz) saying
something like:

In any event, I was under the misguided impression that all Jacobs
chucks were alike. The one that came off the drill had a half-inch
threaded stub attached, the one I was hoping to replace it with
didn't.

See if the stub unscrews from the chuck.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

When you have removed it as others advise, treat yourself to a new keyless
chuck. Preferably one of the 'click up' ones.
Wonderful invention!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

When you have removed it as others advise, treat yourself to a new keyless
chuck. Preferably one of the 'click up' ones.
Wonderful invention!

Got a link?
I changed my Bosch chuck a few months ago as the bits kept coming loose,
thinking the replacement Jacobs chuck at £35 would be better, but it
isnt.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
spamlet wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

When you have removed it as others advise, treat yourself to a new
keyless
chuck. Preferably one of the 'click up' ones.
Wonderful invention!

Got a link?
I changed my Bosch chuck a few months ago as the bits kept coming loose,
thinking the replacement Jacobs chuck at £35 would be better, but it
isnt.
Alan.

Screwfix has them: they are more expensive than the ones with the black
fluted aluminium front piece, that don't seem to have the click locking
mechanism. Having said that, I have found the ordinary aluminium ones to be
OK except when you have the hammer setting on.

As for where to buy. Screwfix if you are in a hurry. If you have more
time, look in the cheapo tool shops, and even junk shops and skips. Loads
of people throw these things away with perfectly usable chucks on, and you
can build up quite a collection if you keep your eyes open.

I had been on the semi-lookout for a right angled chuck, for under the
floorboards, and recently picked up one in Dunstable Discount, for the
princely sum of £3.99 (Blue Spot 'Pro Series'). For that price it's
probably not going to last, but for the occasional DIY use it will be just
fine I'm sure. Even if the angle part of it packs up, I've still got a
spare chuck that is a big step up from any that needs a key, even if it does
come undone in hammering, because the key ones do that too - which is why
they are always chewed up by desperate attempts to tighten them!!

At Screwfix, this is a clicky one:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50008/...ess-Chuck-13mm

But if you click the link at this link, you will also see a number of
cheaper models, some said to be 'universal' and suitable for hammer. I
cannot vouch for these, as I have not had a look at them, but they will
probably all be a step up on a keyed chuck, for convenience if nothing else.

Hoping you will never again have to suffer the turn the garage upside down
looking for the key syndrome.

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:23:02 GMT, "spamlet"
wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
. ..
spamlet wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
[...]

Mine both have the key taped to the mains lead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"spamlet" writes:

I had been on the semi-lookout for a right angled chuck, for under the
floorboards, and recently picked up one in Dunstable Discount, for the
princely sum of £3.99 (Blue Spot 'Pro Series'). For that price it's
probably not going to last, but for the occasional DIY use it will be just
fine I'm sure. Even if the angle part of it packs up, I've still got a
spare chuck that is a big step up from any that needs a key, even if it does
come undone in hammering, because the key ones do that too - which is why
they are always chewed up by desperate attempts to tighten them!!

Thanks for the heads-up. I poped in and got one this morning when
going past. Not been in to that shop for about 20 years, as it was
all complete junk the first time I went in there. Warned the guy
on the till that he'd been mentioned on the Internnet and there
might be a rush! Also bought a tiny plastering trowel. Could have
done with both items two weeks ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"spamlet" writes:

[...]

I'm sure they will be glad of the publicity: it's hard to go in there, and
not come out with tons of stuff 'just in case'!

Graz: I found that the little rubber holders for chuck keys always failed
when you weren't looking, and that having one taped to the flex always
seemed to be in the wrong place and getting in the way. And it was always a
struggle to get the chuck tight enough with these anyway.

One further point: I should have noted that some chucks are male and some
female, and for my B&D I also needed to buy a little converter armor from
Screwfix. Be sure to check the thread sizes as well as the chuck sizes when
upgrading.

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Graz, d2milleraz wrote:
Open the chuck like you were going to put in a large bit. Unscrew the bolt
inside and remove it. Mine turns clockwise to unscrew, opposite of normal.
Turn the chuck until a small hole in the chuck lines up with the notch on the
top of the housing. Insert an appropriately sized allen wrench or something
strong into through the notch and into the receiving hole. Also insert a
chuck key where you usually would. Then twist the chuck off. (The allen
wrench holds the shaft and pressing on the chuck key turns the chuck.) Mine
unscrewed counter-clockwise (normal) and took a light blow with a rubber
mallet to get it started.) A little unnerving until you've done it once.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ll-472336-.htm