DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Conservatory to save energy. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/242208-conservatory-save-energy.html)

Donwill April 6th 08 10:35 AM

Conservatory to save energy.

Having seen on the box some "high energy saving houses" having
conservatories as part of the energy saving measures, I wondered if anyone
had information on the optimum design for such a structure? What are the
likely annual savings, and would it be possible to attract a grant for an
efficient structure to add to an existing house.

I'm a little surprised that conservatory manufacturers haven't investigated
these possibilities with a view to increasing their sales.

Regards
Don

George \(dicegeorge\) April 6th 08 10:51 AM

Conservatory to save energy.

I have read that huge glass structures on the south of a house
can overheat houses,
maybe what's needed are blinds or shutters
outside of the glass...

Also they use a heatstore,
which may be a pile of stones or bricks in the conservatory
to keep cooler in the day and hotter in the night...

--

[george]