DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Liquid PTFE cure time? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/242116-liquid-ptfe-cure-time.html)

Styx April 5th 08 08:28 PM

Liquid PTFE cure time?

Anyone have any idea what the approximate cure time for "No Nonsense"
liquid PTFE is?

Cheers,

Styx

Ed Sirett April 6th 08 10:57 AM

Liquid PTFE cure time?

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 19:28:51 +0100, Styx wrote:

Anyone have any idea what the approximate cure time for "No Nonsense"
liquid PTFE is?

I've started using this. It's not a easy to use as the Loctite product
which has a nice bellows style squeezable container.

I would have said that used in the right place you need not worry about
setting time. Used to do tricks (like setting screwed elbow fitting at
the right position as opposed to tight) you might need it to leave it a
day to harden.

Styx April 6th 08 02:15 PM

Liquid PTFE cure time?

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 19:28:51 +0100, Styx wrote:

Anyone have any idea what the approximate cure time for "No Nonsense"
liquid PTFE is?

I've started using this. It's not a easy to use as the Loctite product
which has a nice bellows style squeezable container.

I would have said that used in the right place you need not worry about
setting time. Used to do tricks (like setting screwed elbow fitting at
the right position as opposed to tight) you might need it to leave it a
day to harden.

Thanks, Ed. Yes, I agree that it's not very easy to use.

Well, after about 18 hours it doesn't seem to have cured at all -- to be
fair, it was pretty cold last night so that's possibly had an effect on it.

I'll take another look at it later today to see how it's going.

Styx

Kevin Poole April 6th 08 04:51 PM

Liquid PTFE cure time?

Styx wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 19:28:51 +0100, Styx wrote:

Anyone have any idea what the approximate cure time for "No Nonsense"
liquid PTFE is?

I've started using this. It's not a easy to use as the Loctite product
which has a nice bellows style squeezable container.

Agreed: I resorted to trying to balance it upside down on its cap
between uses because it's so viscous.
snip

Thanks, Ed. Yes, I agree that it's not very easy to use.

Well, after about 18 hours it doesn't seem to have cured at all -- to be
fair, it was pretty cold last night so that's possibly had an effect on it.

AIUI, it hardens in some metal-catalysed way, so in the confines of a
joint it may well have cured. The other implication of this is that it
would be no use hoping to use it to seal plastic to plastic.

I used it for almost all of the appropriate joints in a complete ch
installation, and was very impressed. Not a single leak, even from the
usually difficult valve tail to radiator joints. I did some of these
without ptfe tape, and some with it (where the valve threatened to
disappear entirely into the rad), but all were successful.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****

The Medway Handyman April 7th 08 12:13 AM

Liquid PTFE cure time?

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 19:28:51 +0100, Styx wrote:

Anyone have any idea what the approximate cure time for "No Nonsense"
liquid PTFE is?

I've started using this. It's not a easy to use as the Loctite product
which has a nice bellows style squeezable container.

I've found the same thing, it works well, but the tube needs a firm hand.

I would have said that used in the right place you need not worry about
setting time. Used to do tricks (like setting screwed elbow fitting at
the right position as opposed to tight) you might need it to leave it a
day to harden.

I'm not sure it cures at all. Whilst Loctite would set & hold a fitting in
a certain position, I don't think liquid PTFE is meant to do the same.

JMO

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave April 8th 08 09:40 PM

Liquid PTFE cure time?

Styx wrote:

Anyone have any idea what the approximate cure time for "No Nonsense"
liquid PTFE is?

Will it work on a frying pan?

Dave