Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laptop battery repair, help

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black component
arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg
open circuit it is the main connection between battery pack and circuit
board, Battery measures full voltage before this device.
I assume this is a thermal/current breaker
So anyone know were I could find a replacement, or even exactly what this
component is.
If I can't find the correct replacement part I am considering replacing with
some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this welcome, battery is
10v-4500mAh.
if anyone knows of a better newsgroup to ask about this, that would also be
helpful.
Thanks
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:29:19 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black component
arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg
open circuit it is the main connection between battery pack and circuit
board, Battery measures full voltage before this device.
I assume this is a thermal/current breaker

Probably (thermal)
So anyone know were I could find a replacement, or even exactly what this
component is.

Can't read the part number - look for it on google first
If I can't find the correct replacement part I am considering replacing with
some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this welcome,

I wouldn't. Assuming fairly modern battery it will need monitoring for
temperature rise.
if anyone knows of a better newsgroup to ask about this, that would also be
helpful.

You could also try sci.electronics.repair (but have the part no. etc off the
device first)

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Mar, 15:29, "Mark" wrote:
My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black component
arrowedhttp://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg
open circuit it is the main connection between battery pack and circuit
board, Battery measures full voltage before this device.
I assume this is a thermal/current breaker
So anyone know were I could find a replacement, or even exactly what this
component is.
If I can't find the correct replacement part I am considering replacing with
some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this welcome, battery is
10v-4500mAh.
if anyone knows of a better newsgroup to ask about this, that would also be
helpful.
Thanks
Mark

Look on eBay for an old battery which only holds a few minutes of
charge. Or tell us which laptop model it is and someone here may have
one.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Well, it is a Klixon so a thermal cutout device, almost certainly. Where you
would get a quantity of 1 from, I don't know. It is there to stop a fire if
the battery overheats. You could short it out but don't blame me if it
catches fire!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geo wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:29:19 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was

zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black

component
arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg
open circuit it is the main connection between battery pack and circuit
board, Battery measures full voltage before this device.
I assume this is a thermal/current breaker

Probably (thermal)
So anyone know were I could find a replacement, or even exactly what this
component is.

Can't read the part number - look for it on google first

It's Klixton 10v9K 4MM70B1
I have googled, and couldn't find anything apart from Klixton having
discontinued this device.

if anyone knows of a better newsgroup to ask about this, that would also

be
helpful.

You could also try sci.electronics.repair (but have the part no. etc off

the
device first)

Thanks I will try that if all else on here fails.
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Looks like http://www.sensata.com/products/controls/battery-mm.htm

however it says auto reset.. could still be faulty though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote in message

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was

zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black
component
arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg

Looks like http://www.sensata.com/products/controls/battery-mm.htm

however it says auto reset.. could still be faulty though.

Thanks that's useful but they don't seem to have a UK distributor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

dennis@home wrote in message

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was

zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black
component
arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg

Looks like http://www.sensata.com/products/controls/battery-mm.htm

however it says auto reset.. could still be faulty though.

Thanks that's useful but they don't seem to have a UK distributor

http://airpax.sensata.com/site/conta...pe/uk_csr.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was
zero, Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the
black component arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg
open circuit it is the main connection between battery pack and
circuit board, Battery measures full voltage before this device.
I assume this is a thermal/current breaker
So anyone know were I could find a replacement, or even exactly what
this component is.
If I can't find the correct replacement part I am considering
replacing with some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this
welcome, battery is 10v-4500mAh.
if anyone knows of a better newsgroup to ask about this, that would
also be helpful.
Thanks
Mark

Try posting to comp.systems.laptops - there are some very knowledeable
people there who know all about batteries.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote in message
m...

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was

zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black
component
arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg

Looks like http://www.sensata.com/products/controls/battery-mm.htm

however it says auto reset.. could still be faulty though.

Thanks that's useful but they don't seem to have a UK distributor

http://airpax.sensata.com/site/conta...pe/uk_csr.html

Thanks for that, I have emailed them but I suspect I already know the reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Just replace it with a non resettable thermal fuse, plenty to choose
from in RS, here's one:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...ct&R=176923 3
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bovvered? wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:29:19 GMT,

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was zero,

If I can't find the correct replacement part I am considering replacing
with
some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this welcome, battery is
10v-4500mAh.

Just replace it with a non resettable thermal fuse, plenty to choose
from in RS, here's one:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...ct&R=176923 3

I have been looking at

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...ct&R=176915 4

and this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...o=493&doy=27m3

would a thermal fuse be better in this application then a current operated
one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

Bovvered? wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:29:19 GMT,

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was
zero,

If I can't find the correct replacement part I am considering replacing
with
some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this welcome, battery is
10v-4500mAh.

Just replace it with a non resettable thermal fuse, plenty to choose
from in RS, here's one:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...ct&R=176923 3

I have been looking at

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...ct&R=176915 4

and this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...o=493&doy=27m3

would a thermal fuse be better in this application then a current operated
one.

You need both.. just put them in series.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Mark,

Need to know more about laptop batteries ? Welcome to our www.global-batteries.com.

We are a manufacturer representative and distributor of compatible
batteries, especially of laptop batteries, camcorder batteries,
digital camera batteries, power tools batteries, battery chargers and
other accessories.

If you have any questions, pleaser feel free to contact us. Looking
forward to your visiting.
We are always please to service you.

Best regards,
www.global-batteries.com

Mark $BLF;!'(B
My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black component
arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg
open circuit it is the main connection between battery pack and circuit
board, Battery measures full voltage before this device.
I assume this is a thermal/current breaker
So anyone know were I could find a replacement, or even exactly what this
component is.
If I can't find the correct replacement part I am considering replacing with
some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this welcome, battery is
10v-4500mAh.
if anyone knows of a better newsgroup to ask about this, that would also be
helpful.
Thanks
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark 0 My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black component
arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg
open circuit it is the main connection between battery pack and circuit
board, Battery measures full voltage before this device.
I assume this is a thermal/current breaker
So anyone know were I could find a replacement, or even exactly what this
component is.
If I can't find the correct replacement part I am considering replacing with
some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this welcome, battery is
10v-4500mAh.
if anyone knows of a better newsgroup to ask about this, that would also be
helpful.
Thanks
Mark

It's probably a thermostat, the make - Klixon (clicks on!) is the clue
here, there is normally a non- thermal fuse as well, which operates at a
higher temperature, say 105deg.C incase the Klixon goes short circuit.
I can't seem to find the website , they seem to be owned by Ti these
days.
--
Neil J. Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Neil J. Harris" wrote in message
Mark 0 My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which
was zero,
Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black
component
arrowed
http://i29.tinypic.com/j9acrd.jpg

It's probably a thermostat, the make - Klixon (clicks on!) is the clue
here, there is normally a non- thermal fuse as well, which operates at a
higher temperature, say 105deg.C incase the Klixon goes short circuit.
I can't seem to find the website , they seem to be owned by Ti these days.
Neil J. Harris

I did email both the US and Europe distributor, the device is discontinued

I have now replaced it with a thermal cut-out and a normal fuse, it now
works fine.

Thanks for your and everyone else's help and suggestions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ive found it http://www.klixon.com/products/controls/battery-mm.htm

In message , Neil J. Harris
writes
[...]

Laptop battery repair/replacement - options? Martin Electronics Repair 2 March 28th 07 09:34 AM
Can't charge my laptop battery Greg L. Electronics Repair 3 September 5th 06 09:39 PM
Laptop battery problems Hugo Nebula UK diy 4 October 23rd 05 10:59 PM
OT : Laptop battery Stefek Zaba UK diy 7 February 1st 05 10:29 AM
How to charge a Li-ION Laptop battery Nina Electronics Repair 6 April 7th 04 09:23 PM