DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hotpoint w/mc motor "afterlife" (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/24-re-hotpoint-w-mc-motor-%22afterlife%22.html)

Tony Williams July 3rd 03 12:05 PM

Hotpoint w/mc motor "afterlife"

In article ,
Abdullah Eyles wrote:

Anyway you guys, what happened to my original question??? ;) (how to
use the motor?

I have a defunct motor out of our Hoover w/m, put
aside for refurb and then onto the lathe as a
variable speed, reversible drive.

Will I ever get round to it?

Very doubtful, but I can't bear to dump it atm.

--
Tony Williams.

Peter Parry July 3rd 03 01:18 PM

Hotpoint w/mc motor "afterlife"

On 3 Jul 2003 02:47:20 -0700, (Abdullah Eyles)
wrote:

Anyway you guys, what happened to my original question??? ;) (how to
use the motor? I remember one time that a guy made a motorised
bar-stool using an old w/mc motor...)

There were two articles in a recent Model Engineering Workshop mag on
these motors - I'll see if I can find them.

"Electric Motors in the Home Workshop" ISBN 1-85486-133-6 and
"Electric Motors" ISBN 0-85242-914-2" both by JIm Cox also cover
their alternative use.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Shrek July 4th 03 10:18 AM

Hotpoint w/mc motor "afterlife"

Anyway you guys, what happened to my original question??? ;) (how to
use the motor? I remember one time that a guy made a motorised
bar-stool using an old w/mc motor...)

If you want to use a speed controller, then you would be best using the
board that you have as it is made for that motor. If you intend to only use
it at full speed, then you can wire it directly without going through the
board first.
you still haven't said what you intend using it for.

--
Ian Tilley
Ex-Kirklees Domestic Engineers

Abdullah Eyles July 4th 03 01:02 PM

Peter Parry wrote in message . ..
There were two articles in a recent Model Engineering Workshop mag on
these motors - I'll see if I can find them.

"Electric Motors in the Home Workshop" ISBN 1-85486-133-6 and
"Electric Motors" ISBN 0-85242-914-2" both by JIm Cox also cover
their alternative use.

Would appreciate it, Peter. TIA
I'll look the others up on Amazon...

Peter Parry July 6th 03 05:11 PM

Hotpoint w/mc motor "afterlife"

On 4 Jul 2003 05:02:44 -0700, (Abdullah Eyles)
wrote:

Peter Parry wrote in message . ..
There were two articles in a recent Model Engineering Workshop mag on
these motors - I'll see if I can find them.

Would appreciate it, Peter. TIA

Found them - if you get in touch I'll arrange copies for you.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Abdullah Eyles July 7th 03 02:13 PM

"Shrek" wrote in message ...

Anyway you guys, what happened to my original question??? ;) (how to
use the motor? I remember one time that a guy made a motorised
bar-stool using an old w/mc motor...)

If you want to use a speed controller, then you would be best using the
board that you have as it is made for that motor. If you intend to only use
it at full speed, then you can wire it directly without going through the
board first.
you still haven't said what you intend using it for.

Nobody asked me what I wanted to use it for :S

I intend it as a general-purpose workshop power unit, but that depends
upon the ease-of-use (maybe with belts and shafts around the ceiling
like in the old steam-powered mills - or not if the HSE catch me!)