DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gas lift chairs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/238863-gas-lift-chairs.html)

Doki March 19th 08 03:19 PM

Gas lift chairs

Can these be fixed once they start getting a bit lazy?

BRG[_2_] March 19th 08 07:10 PM

Gas lift chairs

Doki wrote:
Can these be fixed once they start getting a bit lazy?

Only with a *new* gas strut Doki.

Try the company that supplied the chair on the availability of spares.

BRG

Bob Martin March 20th 08 08:32 AM

Gas lift chairs

in 715871 20080319 151931 "Doki" wrote:
Can these be fixed once they start getting a bit lazy?

No. I filled mine with wine jar corks, much better!

Doki March 20th 08 01:45 PM

Gas lift chairs

"BRG" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
Can these be fixed once they start getting a bit lazy?

Only with a *new* gas strut Doki.

Try the company that supplied the chair on the availability of spares.

Ikea. I suspect they'll tell me to stick it up my arse and be grateful I got
a chair at all and that it's lasted this long...

Roger Mills March 20th 08 02:05 PM

Gas lift chairs

Doki wrote:

"BRG" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
Can these be fixed once they start getting a bit lazy?

Only with a *new* gas strut Doki.

Try the company that supplied the chair on the availability of
spares.

Ikea. I suspect they'll tell me to stick it up my arse and be
grateful I got a chair at all and that it's lasted this long...

If you're not worried about being able to adjust the height, and simply want
to stop it sinking below a certain level, you can put something round the
extending strut to stop it being compressed. If you can remove the end
fitting, you can slide a length of metal tube of a suitable diameter over
it. Otherwise you could split a piece of tube lengthways and clamp the two
halves round the shaft.

Replacing the whole thing could be pretty difficult, even if you can get a
replacement. The bottom end has a taper which fits into a tapered hole in
the spider which holds the wheels. In my experience, it's virtually
impossible to separate the taper once the chair has been sat on for a while.
I have used considerable violence on some of my chairs, to no avail!
--
Cheers,
Roger