DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electrical question: What do I need? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/237225-electrical-question-what-do-i-need.html)

diy-newby March 11th 08 04:10 PM

Electrical question: What do I need?

Had some gates fitted late last year and the contractor hit the cable which
feeds my outside plug socket and garden lights. Whoever installed the garden
lights connected a normal PVC twin core and earth to the junction box which
feeds the detached garage (by SWA), routed it under my path, then up onto my
fence. The cable is housed in tubular plastic conduit (about 1" diameter)
whilst on the fence and goes to a mini RCD, which then feeds the plug and
lights.

Basically, I want to replace this 'broken' cable between the exterior JB and
the fence.

My questions a-

1) Was going to use SWA but have seen mention of Hi-Tuf.. Can this be
buried? Need to bury the cable under my path for about 3 feet.

2) I don't want to replace the entire cable length to the outdoor RCD, but
want to join the cable on the fence with a weatherproof JB. How do I get a
watertight connection between the plastic conduit on the fence and the new
JB which I will be adding to join the new / old cable?

Thanks

[email protected] March 11th 08 07:50 PM

On 11 Mar, 16:10, "diy-newby" wrote:
1) Was going to use SWA but have seen mention of Hi-Tuf.. Can this be
buried? Need to bury the cable under my path for about 3 feet.

I have buried some Hi-Tuf under a patio. The general consensus seemed
to be that it is OK to bury it, but only with some mechanical
protection (eg under a path or a patio), as it is not as resilient to
spades etc as proper SWA. It's quite a bit more expensive than SWA,
but a lot easier to terminate.

2) I don't want to replace the entire cable length to the outdoor RCD, but
want to join the cable on the fence with a weatherproof JB. How do I get a
watertight connection between the plastic conduit on the fence and the new
JB which I will be adding to join the new / old cable?

It doesn't need to be really watertight. Just drill a drain hole in
the bottom to let out any water that gets in. As long as your joint is
not sitting in water it will be fine.

Tim Mitchell

Dave Plowman (News) March 11th 08 11:39 PM

Electrical question: What do I need?

In article
,
wrote:
I have buried some Hi-Tuf under a patio. The general consensus seemed
to be that it is OK to bury it, but only with some mechanical
protection (eg under a path or a patio), as it is not as resilient to
spades etc as proper SWA. It's quite a bit more expensive than SWA,
but a lot easier to terminate.

On a scale of 1-10, SWA is hardly difficult to terminate, and it's not
like there are loads of terminations needed.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.