DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Should I plaster a wall before fitting insulated plasterboard? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/236310-should-i-plaster-wall-before-fitting-insulated-plasterboard.html)

405 TD Estate March 5th 08 11:00 PM

Should I plaster a wall before fitting insulated plasterboard?

I've taken the wall back to the brick and it's reasonably straight
should I plaster it before I fit the insulated plasterboard which is
30mm insulated stuff with a thin 12mm plaster board attached.

Lobster March 5th 08 11:04 PM

405 TD Estate wrote:
I've taken the wall back to the brick and it's reasonably straight
should I plaster it before I fit the insulated plasterboard which is
30mm insulated stuff with a thin 12mm plaster board attached.

No - why on earth would you want to do that?!

David

405 TD Estate March 6th 08 12:03 AM

Should I plaster a wall before fitting insulated plasterboard?

No - why on earth would you want to do that?!

So the wall is completely flat and smooth before putting the insulated
plasterboard on.

John Rumm March 6th 08 12:31 AM

405 TD Estate wrote:
No - why on earth would you want to do that?!

So the wall is completely flat and smooth before putting the insulated
plasterboard on.

It would usually be easier to scribe battens to the wall if that is the
case.

--
Cheers,

John.

Stuart Noble March 6th 08 11:57 AM

405 TD Estate wrote:
No - why on earth would you want to do that?!

So the wall is completely flat and smooth before putting the insulated
plasterboard on.

Doesn't need to be smooth, the plaster adhesive will sort out minor
variations. To be sure, you could always put some plaster dabs on the
wall and level those with a straightedge.
I've used screws before now, the advantage being you can adjust them in
and out indefinitely until you get everything level. At least then you
know which bits may need bigger blobs of adhesive.