DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Spraying kitche cupboard doors (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/236215-spraying-kitche-cupboard-doors.html)

[email protected] March 5th 08 08:57 AM

Spraying kitche cupboard doors

I thought I might have a go at spraying the doors of my kitchen
cupboards as I have a compressor.

I would like to find a book or web site that gives you the howto etc

does anyone know of a good source of info.

Chris

Dave Plowman (News) March 5th 08 09:58 AM

Spraying kitche cupboard doors

In article ,
wrote:
I thought I might have a go at spraying the doors of my kitchen
cupboards as I have a compressor.

I would like to find a book or web site that gives you the howto etc

does anyone know of a good source of info.

Principles are the same as car bodywork spraying. You'll be spoilt for
choice if you search on paint spraying.

The best DIY spray paint is cellulose. It's getting more difficult to find
but is available to order. From an automotive paint supplier or large
motor factor.

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

RW[_4_] March 6th 08 06:17 AM

Spraying kitche cupboard doors

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
I thought I might have a go at spraying the doors of my kitchen
cupboards as I have a compressor.

I would like to find a book or web site that gives you the howto etc

does anyone know of a good source of info.

Principles are the same as car bodywork spraying. You'll be spoilt for
choice if you search on paint spraying.

The best DIY spray paint is cellulose. It's getting more difficult to find
but is available to order. From an automotive paint supplier or large
motor factor.

Nah. Cellulose is a pig on wood/chipboard as the flex in the panels makes
the stuff craze sometimes

Water based acrylic in the colour you like over the top of a suitable
preparatory basecoat.

There is a melamine surface paint that adheres very well.
Rub down *very* lightly between 2 or 3 coats and finish off the top coat
with wire wool then finish with your colour choice.

Dave Plowman (News) March 6th 08 08:20 AM

RW wrote:
The best DIY spray paint is cellulose. It's getting more difficult to
find but is available to order. From an automotive paint supplier or
large motor factor.

Nah. Cellulose is a pig on wood/chipboard as the flex in the panels
makes the stuff craze sometimes

Maybe - but it was used for many many years with success. If it's crazing
that's due to poor technique. Most likely not letting the primer dry
fully. And as I said it's suitable for home spraying - unlike most more
modern alternatives.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.