DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Temporary drain repair with (ahem) car body filler? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/235989-temporary-drain-repair-ahem-car-body-filler.html)

jkn March 3rd 08 04:50 PM

Temporary drain repair with (ahem) car body filler?

Hi all
after more investigation of our drain fly problem (see posting of
a couple of weeks ago) I've found the problem. Our drain is cracked -
a little below the 'water line', and above the swan neck. I've put a
photo up at:

http://www.nicorp.co.uk/squash/images/drain.jpg

I've had a chap come to have a look at it and obviously it will have
to be properly fixed RSN. But in the meantime ... any thoughts of a
temporary bodge to last a few weeks and stop things getting worse? Car
body filler and an angle grinder really *do* come to mind this time...

Cheers
Jon N

Phil L March 3rd 08 05:22 PM

jkn wrote:
Hi all
after more investigation of our drain fly problem (see posting of
a couple of weeks ago) I've found the problem. Our drain is cracked -
a little below the 'water line', and above the swan neck. I've put a
photo up at:

http://www.nicorp.co.uk/squash/images/drain.jpg

I've had a chap come to have a look at it and obviously it will have
to be properly fixed RSN. But in the meantime ... any thoughts of a
temporary bodge to last a few weeks and stop things getting worse? Car
body filler and an angle grinder really *do* come to mind this time...

Cheers
Jon N

Just dig around it and replace[1] it with a new hopper, they cost about £20,
then backfill and relay the concrete / slabs / whatever.....3 hours work at
most, and this includes the journey to pick up the stuff.

[1]
There's no magic involved, these things simply slot together, and you may be
able to use a plastic one, with a rubber seal which just pushes on....if you
manage to find a saltglaze one (like the original) then you'll need strong
sand/cement, but the method is pretty much the same.

jkn March 3rd 08 07:07 PM

Temporary drain repair with (ahem) car body filler?

Hi Phil

[...]
Just dig around it and replace[1] it with a new hopper, they cost about £20,
then backfill and relay the concrete / slabs / whatever.....3 hours work at
most, and this includes the journey to pick up the stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion ... it may come to that, but i'm looking for
a temporary fix to do tomorrow, prior to the sort of thing you
outline, to do in a few weeks time.

I'm now thinking of some sort of caulk... recommendations?

Ta

Phil L March 3rd 08 11:33 PM

Temporary drain repair with (ahem) car body filler?

jkn wrote:
Hi Phil

[...]
Just dig around it and replace[1] it with a new hopper, they cost
about £20, then backfill and relay the concrete / slabs /
whatever.....3 hours work at most, and this includes the journey to
pick up the stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion ... it may come to that, but i'm looking for
a temporary fix to do tomorrow, prior to the sort of thing you
outline, to do in a few weeks time.

I'm now thinking of some sort of caulk... recommendations?

Ta

Whichever way you choose to fix it, I can't see drain flies having much
interest in this - it's a surface water drain? - that is to say, it's not
soil (****) and this is what drain flies need to survive and breed

jkn March 3rd 08 11:41 PM

Temporary drain repair with (ahem) car body filler?

Hi Phil

Whichever way you choose to fix it, I can't see drain flies having much
interest in this - it's a surface water drain? - that is to say, it's not
soil (****) and this is what drain flies need to survive and breed

I think they are interested in the damp corner in the kitchen which
this crack is causing ... We've had the occasional rat in the past & I
wonder if they are feeding on the now-damp remaining pellets. There's
definitely a stagnant smell associated with this area.