DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fitting a grinding disc onto a backing pad (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/235988-fitting-grinding-disc-onto-backing-pad.html)

bob March 3rd 08 02:19 PM

Fitting a grinding disc onto a backing pad

I am having some trouble fitting a Screfix "Universal Semi Flexible
Disc 115 mm on (Quote No: 18886)" on to a "115mm M14*2.0 Nylon Backing
Pad 22mm Hole" (Quote No: 12966); the locking nut doesn't reach the
thread when the disc is placed between it and the pad. Am i
assembling this right? I can see how a thinner aluminium oxide disc
could be pressed down so that it is sandwiched between the two but the
semi flexible disc is not giving much.

TMC March 3rd 08 03:17 PM

"bob" wrote in message
I am having some trouble fitting a Screfix "Universal Semi Flexible
Disc 115 mm on (Quote No: 18886)" on to a "115mm M14*2.0 Nylon Backing
Pad 22mm Hole" (Quote No: 12966); the locking nut doesn't reach the
thread when the disc is placed between it and the pad. Am i
assembling this right? I can see how a thinner aluminium oxide disc
could be pressed down so that it is sandwiched between the two but the
semi flexible disc is not giving much.

My grinder uses a different fitting for the backing pad than for a grinding
disk

If you are using the nut as your post suggests this is wrong for sanding
disks

You need to use the flat threaded fitting with the 2 holes in for the
sanding disk & backing pad

You may need to push it in a bit to get it started

Tony

bob March 3rd 08 06:21 PM

Fitting a grinding disc onto a backing pad

Tony i am using the flat locking nut that comes with the backing pad
i.e. not the one that came with the grinder?

Rednadnerb March 3rd 08 07:35 PM

On 3 Mar, 14:19, bob wrote:
I am having some trouble fitting a Screfix "Universal Semi Flexible
Disc 115 mm on (Quote No: 18886)" on to a "115mm M14*2.0 Nylon Backing
Pad 22mm Hole" (Quote No: 12966); the locking nut doesn't reach the
thread when the disc is placed between it and the pad. *Am i
assembling this right? *I can see how a thinner aluminium oxide disc
could be pressed down so that it is sandwiched between the two but the
semi flexible disc is not giving much.

Annoying isn't it? offering sympathy rather than advice. I found
exactly the same thing, it needed brute force to get the thread to
take. I think I tried grinding a bit off of the back of the pad to
give a bit more room to play with but don't remember it being a great
success.