DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   woodshed caravan? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/235950-woodshed-caravan.html)

George \(dicegeorge\) March 3rd 08 10:59 AM

woodshed caravan?

ive lots of firewood to store and dry out,
i was thinking of using an old caravan
perhaps with the windows taken out
but then thought it would be too damp,
shouldnt a wood store have more ventilation
but been rain-proof,
can i use the caravan
or what design do the panel recommend
for next year's firewood?

--

[george]

~ [g] ~
~ ~
~ 07970 378 572 ~
~
www.dicegeorge.com ~
~ (c)2008 ~
~ ~

[email protected] March 3rd 08 12:14 PM

woodshed caravan?

Basically you just need to keep the (worst of the) rain off. Any kind
of open storage is good. Windswept to reduce humidity better. Sun
exposed even better. I'm sure an old caravan would be fine, as would a
bit of plastic sheeting weighted down on top of a log pile.

The Natural Philosopher March 3rd 08 12:27 PM

woodshed caravan?

wrote:
Basically you just need to keep the (worst of the) rain off. Any kind
of open storage is good. Windswept to reduce humidity better. Sun
exposed even better. I'm sure an old caravan would be fine, as would a
bit of plastic sheeting weighted down on top of a log pile.

I use an old canvas topped landriver. It runs just enough to get down
the garden to the raw pile of logs, and we cut a cople of weeks worth at
a time.

Within two weeks the sopping logs are dry enough to burn easily.

In fact the sopping logs are still actually at lower moisture content
than green wood, and if started with a little dry kindling, burne well
enough once they stop hissing.

We have a system whereby its

fell and roughly stack completely exposed.. Leave a year minimum

Cut and split into landrover.

Take enough for a couple of days inside and stack in inglenook.

Burn.

There is no real need to keep teh rain off at all, apart from it being a
bit of a sod to catch te wet wood. But its not GREEN wood, after a year.

All you need is some way to keep rain off for any wood store. Its less a
matter of keeping dry, as a matter of retarding rot.

[email protected] March 3rd 08 01:27 PM

woodshed caravan?

In fact the sopping logs are still actually at lower moisture content
than green wood

Yes, I've noticed this. Some of my woodpile is under a dripping
gutter, and as you say, it just makes them harder to start - but the
core moisture content is ok.

There seems to be a similar effect from steam-bending wood, it seems
to be dryer afterwards.

I have heard (but know nothing about) a technique for seasoning some
timber (yew I think) by immersion in a river bed.

Another Dave March 3rd 08 03:49 PM

woodshed caravan?

wrote:
I have heard (but know nothing about) a technique for seasoning some
timber (yew I think) by immersion in a river bed.

There's a theory that violins made by Stradivarius, Amati etc sound so
good because the wood was seasoned in the (salt) lagoon at Venice.

Rod March 3rd 08 04:27 PM

woodshed caravan?

Another Dave wrote:
wrote:
I have heard (but know nothing about) a technique for seasoning some
timber (yew I think) by immersion in a river bed.

There's a theory that violins made by Stradivarius, Amati etc sound so
good because the wood was seasoned in the (salt) lagoon at Venice.

And there was I thinking it was some interaction between stain, shellac
and varnish. :-)

Actually, that does sound a bit odd as Cremona is not too far from being
the furthest from the sea you can get in Italy.
--
Rod