DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Identify this rotary burr/rasp/drill bit ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/235645-identify-rotary-burr-rasp-drill-bit.html)

n cook February 29th 08 07:02 PM

Identify this rotary burr/rasp/drill bit ?

I would like to obtain some more of these (my pic)
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/burr.jpg
unkown source , no name on the drill bit and cannot find them via
searchengines.
I use them as burrs rather than drills
Anyone know a maker or generic name?

Dave Plowman (News) February 29th 08 07:21 PM

Identify this rotary burr/rasp/drill bit ?

In article ,
N Cook wrote:
I would like to obtain some more of these (my pic)
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/burr.jpg
unkown source , no name on the drill bit and cannot find them via
searchengines.
I use them as burrs rather than drills
Anyone know a maker or generic name?

My local Sunday market tool stall has them. So probably Blackspur or
Draper, etc.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

A.Lee February 29th 08 07:24 PM

N Cook wrote:

I would like to obtain some more of these (my pic)
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/burr.jpg
unkown source , no name on the drill bit and cannot find them via
searchengines.
I use them as burrs rather than drills
Anyone know a maker or generic name?

MachineMart do them:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...3pce-hss-drill
-saw-set/path/05-drill-bits-screwdriver-bits-steels
Alan.

n cook February 29th 08 07:41 PM

A.Lee wrote in message
N Cook wrote:

I would like to obtain some more of these (my pic)
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/burr.jpg
unkown source , no name on the drill bit and cannot find them via
searchengines.
I use them as burrs rather than drills
Anyone know a maker or generic name?

MachineMart do them:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...3pce-hss-drill
-saw-set/path/05-drill-bits-screwdriver-bits-steels
Alan.

Thanks for that, so "drill saw" is the generic term , I would have said it
was more a burr or rasp than a saw.

Scabbydug February 29th 08 07:50 PM

Identify this rotary burr/rasp/drill bit ?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Silverline also do them, we sell them, absolute ****e they are.

The Medway Handyman February 29th 08 08:04 PM

N Cook wrote:
A.Lee wrote in message
N Cook wrote:

I would like to obtain some more of these (my pic)
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/burr.jpg
unkown source , no name on the drill bit and cannot find them via
searchengines.
I use them as burrs rather than drills
Anyone know a maker or generic name?

MachineMart do them:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...3pce-hss-drill
-saw-set/path/05-drill-bits-screwdriver-bits-steels
Alan.

Thanks for that, so "drill saw" is the generic term , I would have
said it was more a burr or rasp than a saw.

I bought a set from Toolstation a little while ago & I think Screwfix do
them as well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave Plowman (News) February 29th 08 11:30 PM

N Cook wrote:
I would like to obtain some more of these (my pic)
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/burr.jpg
unkown source , no name on the drill bit and cannot find them via
searchengines.
I use them as burrs rather than drills
Anyone know a maker or generic name?

My local Sunday market tool stall has them. So probably Blackspur or
Draper, etc.

Silverline also do them, we sell them, absolute ****e they are.

Yes - all probably from the same factory. Never found them much use as a
tool anyway. A good hand file is quicker. Or a cone cutter if you want
various size holes with one tool.

--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

The Medway Handyman March 1st 08 08:35 PM

Identify this rotary burr/rasp/drill bit ?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

N Cook wrote:
I would like to obtain some more of these (my pic)
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/burr.jpg
unkown source , no name on the drill bit and cannot find them via
searchengines.
I use them as burrs rather than drills
Anyone know a maker or generic name?

My local Sunday market tool stall has them. So probably Blackspur or
Draper, etc.

Silverline also do them, we sell them, absolute ****e they are.

Yes - all probably from the same factory. Never found them much use
as a tool anyway. A good hand file is quicker. Or a cone cutter if
you want various size holes with one tool.

The ones I got from Toolstation are quite handy, opening up keyholes to one
side for example.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave Plowman (News) March 1st 08 11:10 PM

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Yes - all probably from the same factory. Never found them much use
as a tool anyway. A good hand file is quicker. Or a cone cutter if
you want various size holes with one tool.

The ones I got from Toolstation are quite handy, opening up keyholes to
one side for example.

Perhaps it's just me but I find hand held rotary rasps etc more trouble
than they're worth - they go all over the place. Again I'd use a coarse
file for this.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

The Medway Handyman March 2nd 08 01:13 AM

Identify this rotary burr/rasp/drill bit ?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Yes - all probably from the same factory. Never found them much use
as a tool anyway. A good hand file is quicker. Or a cone cutter if
you want various size holes with one tool.

The ones I got from Toolstation are quite handy, opening up keyholes
to one side for example.

Perhaps it's just me but I find hand held rotary rasps etc more
trouble than they're worth - they go all over the place. Again I'd
use a coarse file for this.

Agreed if there were enough space for one. In the example about keyholes, I
often find the key won't 'quite' fit because the lock is of a different
make. A few mins with a rotary drill/rasp gives enough clearance. I find
the aperture too small for a hand held file.

Can't think of any other application mind.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

[email protected] March 2nd 08 02:16 AM

The Medway Handyman wrote:
N Cook wrote:
A.Lee wrote in message
N Cook wrote:

I would like to obtain some more of these (my pic)
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/burr.jpg
unkown source , no name on the drill bit and cannot find them via
searchengines.
I use them as burrs rather than drills
Anyone know a maker or generic name?

MachineMart do them:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...3pce-hss-drill
-saw-set/path/05-drill-bits-screwdriver-bits-steels
Alan.

Thanks for that, so "drill saw" is the generic term , I would have
said it was more a burr or rasp than a saw.

I bought a set from Toolstation a little while ago & I think Screwfix do
them as well.

Poundland do them too. Almost all makes however are crp
performers. I once had some that performed well, they had the
cutting edges in the correct direction, running along the bit,
unbroken, and with a mild twist for smoother use. Sadly I've never
seen any properly designed like that since.... well, 80s I think it
was.

NT