DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sealant for plumbing fittings (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/235270-sealant-plumbing-fittings.html)

JR[_4_] February 26th 08 11:03 PM

Sealant for plumbing fittings

Hi

I need to replace the syphon in a close-coupled toilet cistern, and it's
also got a very slow drip from the bolts holding the two parts together.

I've got a replacement close-coupled kit (with plate, rubber ring and bolts)
and a new syphon (well, one of those push-button flap-valve things).

Depending on whether the isolation valve still works (no sign of a handle on
it, so out with the spanner) I may have to replace that too.

I'd like to have some sealant on hand, just in case. I *had* some, which
has since disappeared - it was in a tube and you applied it like glue, it
was called something like "Plumber's Mate". Does anyone know where I can
get a small tube of it?

Also, if I have to replace the isolation valve, I might need to replace some
of the copper pipe. Are flexible fittings considered naff for these things,
or should I use compression fittings if I need to change the pipe?

Thanks very much

Jason

Dave Plowman (News) February 27th 08 12:43 AM

Sealant for plumbing fittings

In article ,
JR wrote:
I need to replace the syphon in a close-coupled toilet cistern, and it's
also got a very slow drip from the bolts holding the two parts together.

I've got a replacement close-coupled kit (with plate, rubber ring and
bolts) and a new syphon (well, one of those push-button flap-valve
things).

Depending on whether the isolation valve still works (no sign of a
handle on it, so out with the spanner) I may have to replace that too.

I'd like to have some sealant on hand, just in case. I *had* some, which
has since disappeared - it was in a tube and you applied it like glue, it
was called something like "Plumber's Mate". Does anyone know where I can
get a small tube of it?

Best sealer by far is Fernox LS1. Comes in a small tube. Bit like a
silicone sealer. Works between pretty well any materials.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

JR[_4_] February 27th 08 06:57 PM

Sealant for plumbing fittings

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
JR wrote:
I need to replace the syphon in a close-coupled toilet cistern, and it's
also got a very slow drip from the bolts holding the two parts together.

I'd like to have some sealant on hand, just in case. I *had* some,

which
has since disappeared - it was in a tube and you applied it like glue,

it
was called something like "Plumber's Mate". Does anyone know where I

can
get a small tube of it?

Best sealer by far is Fernox LS1. Comes in a small tube. Bit like a
silicone sealer. Works between pretty well any materials.

That's great - thanks Dave.

Jason

The Medway Handyman February 27th 08 07:44 PM

Sealant for plumbing fittings

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JR wrote:
[...]

I'd use LS-X on the base of the siphon & Plumbers Mait oround the join
between the cistern & pan. Flexibles are idea for cisterns IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave Plowman (News) February 28th 08 12:07 AM

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Best sealer by far is Fernox LS1. Comes in a small tube. Bit like a
silicone sealer. Works between pretty well any materials.

I'd use LS-X on the base of the siphon & Plumbers Mait oround the join
between the cistern & pan. Flexibles are idea for cisterns IMO.

Bugger. It is of course LS-X I meant. Dunno where LS1 came from. Do Fernox
make an LS1?

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

JR[_4_] March 1st 08 10:40 AM

Sealant for plumbing fittings

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JR wrote:
I'd like to have some sealant on hand, just in case. I *had* some,
which has since disappeared - it was in a tube and you applied it
like glue, it was called something like "Plumber's Mate". Does
anyone know where I can get a small tube of it?

Best sealer by far is Fernox LS1. Comes in a small tube. Bit like a
silicone sealer. Works between pretty well any materials.

I'd use LS-X on the base of the siphon & Plumbers Mait oround the join
between the cistern & pan. Flexibles are idea for cisterns IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930