DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ready mix (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/234302-ready-mix.html)

TMC February 19th 08 04:39 PM

ready mix

Hi all

surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch time for
a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

Tony

tony sayer February 19th 08 05:38 PM

ready mix

In article , TMC
scribeth thus
Hi all

surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch time for
a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

Tony

It'll take longer to go off...
--
Tony Sayer

Tony Bryer February 19th 08 05:41 PM

ready mix

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:39:18 -0000 Tmc wrote :
surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch
time for a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

None if it is covered up. Concrete generates warmth as it sets - a
major problem on massive structures like dams.

Lobster February 19th 08 06:08 PM

ready mix

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:39:18 -0000 Tmc wrote :
surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch
time for a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

None if it is covered up. Concrete generates warmth as it sets - a
major problem on massive structures like dams.

Yes, I went on a tour of the massive Hoover Dam near Las Vegas last
year; among the zillions of fascinating factoids thrown at us was one
that they when built it back in the thirties, they embedded the concrete
structure with miles of piping through which refrigerated water was
pumped, in order to keep the heat down and the project on schedule.

David

Andrew Gabriel February 19th 08 10:19 PM

ready mix

In article ,
Lobster writes:
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:39:18 -0000 Tmc wrote :
surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch
time for a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

None if it is covered up. Concrete generates warmth as it sets - a
major problem on massive structures like dams.

Yes, I went on a tour of the massive Hoover Dam near Las Vegas last
year; among the zillions of fascinating factoids thrown at us was one
that they when built it back in the thirties, they embedded the concrete
structure with miles of piping through which refrigerated water was
pumped, in order to keep the heat down and the project on schedule.

Driving up the M1 J7-J9 over last few cold months, several large
steaming new concrete structures can be seen on cold nights.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Phil L February 19th 08 11:10 PM

ready mix

TMC wrote:
Hi all

surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch
time for a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

Tony

I'm laying four cubes of it tomorrow so I'll let you know !

tony sayer February 20th 08 10:21 AM

ready mix

In article , Phil L
scribeth thus
TMC wrote:
Hi all

surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch
time for a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

Tony

I'm laying four cubes of it tomorrow so I'll let you know !

FWIW is was talking to the manager of a mixing plant yesterday and asked
if they had any problems with demand and temp, i.e. were their blokes
lying around idle when it was below freezing and his answer was that it
never affects the demand they deliver as much in all weathers. And he
ought to know been there man and boy .. or even before that;)...
--
Tony Sayer

Davao February 21st 08 06:36 PM

ready mix

Phil L wrote:
TMC wrote:
Hi all

surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch
time for a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

Tony

I'm laying four cubes of it tomorrow so I'll let you know !

You'll need some savlon when you're finished.

Arthur

Phil L February 21st 08 10:13 PM

ready mix

Davao wrote:
Phil L wrote:
TMC wrote:
Hi all

surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch
time for a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

Tony

I'm laying four cubes of it tomorrow so I'll let you know !

You'll need some savlon when you're finished.

Arthur

Teehee

It was laid wednesday and we've got the block/brick work up to DPC level
today, not bad going considering we only started on Monday