DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can you remove/reduce the orange colour of pine which has aged awhile? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/233637-can-you-remove-reduce-orange-colour-pine-has-aged-awhile.html)

[email protected] February 13th 08 08:38 PM

Can you remove/reduce the orange colour of pine which has aged awhile?

Hi, I'm trying to find a fireplace secondhand on Ebay and would like
the wooden surround to roughly match the stripped pine doors. However
it's proving very difficult to find one I like which hasn't been
stained or if unstained, doesn't have a very orange tinge.

If pine is unstained but orange in colour is there any way to reduce
or remove this colour, ie make it paler/whiter? Thanks.

The Medway Handyman February 13th 08 10:40 PM

wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to find a fireplace secondhand on Ebay and would like
the wooden surround to roughly match the stripped pine doors. However
it's proving very difficult to find one I like which hasn't been
stained or if unstained, doesn't have a very orange tinge.

If pine is unstained but orange in colour is there any way to reduce
or remove this colour, ie make it paler/whiter? Thanks.

Never tried it but...
http://www.rustins.co.uk/wbleach.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

[email protected] February 13th 08 10:58 PM

Can you remove/reduce the orange colour of pine which has aged awhile?

Never tried it but...http://www.rustins.co.uk/wbleach.htm
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks Dave. Would I get the same result by having the wooden surround
dipped/stripped?

The Natural Philosopher February 14th 08 01:18 AM

wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to find a fireplace secondhand on Ebay and would like
the wooden surround to roughly match the stripped pine doors. However
it's proving very difficult to find one I like which hasn't been
stained or if unstained, doesn't have a very orange tinge.

If pine is unstained but orange in colour is there any way to reduce
or remove this colour, ie make it paler/whiter? Thanks.

You can burn it or cover it in paint.

Both recommended.

;-)

Stuart Noble February 14th 08 12:37 PM

wrote:
Never tried it but...
http://www.rustins.co.uk/wbleach.htm
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks Dave. Would I get the same result by having the wooden surround
dipped/stripped?

Two part bleach works well on bare timber, and will also sort of work
where the existing finish is oil or wax based. Won't work at all on a
polyurethane finish though.
Caustic dipping will help kill the orange but, again, not on a
polyurethane finish. Part 1 of the above bleach is a strong alkali
anyway, but part 2 (peroxide) is what lightens the wood.

[email protected] February 14th 08 04:44 PM

Can you remove/reduce the orange colour of pine which has aged awhile?

On 14 Feb, 12:37, Stuart Noble
wrote:
Two part bleach works well on bare timber, and will also sort of work
where the existing finish is oil or wax based. Won't work at all on a
polyurethane finish though.
Caustic dipping will help kill the orange but, again, not on a
polyurethane finish. Part 1 of the above bleach is a strong alkali
anyway, but part 2 (peroxide) is what lightens the wood.

Thanks Stuart.

I've seen a fireplace I really like on Ebay but the owner isn't sure
if the finish it has is polyurethane (lacquer?) applied by the
manafacturer which is non-removable or if it is Varnish which would be
removable.
Is there any easy way of knowing which it is?

robgraham February 14th 08 10:23 PM

On 14 Feb, 01:18, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to find a fireplace secondhand on Ebay and would like
the wooden surround to roughly match the stripped pine doors. However
it's proving very difficult to find one I like which hasn't been
stained or if unstained, doesn't have a very orange tinge.

If pine is unstained but orange in colour is there any way to reduce
or remove this colour, ie make it paler/whiter? Thanks.

You can burn it or cover it in paint.

Both recommended.

;-)

One thing I found when experimenting with staining what is laughing
called 'red pine' nowadays for skirting and door facings was to stain
the wood light pink - Red Mahogany stain 'watered' down, and then use
'Light Oak' stain over that. It gave the wood I had an acceptable
match to old pine doors that had developed a natural soft-set honey
colour.

Rob

Stuart Noble February 15th 08 11:24 AM

wrote:
[...]

That is surprising. Vandyke crystals is the usual way because of the
depth and the dullness of the colour. It has a mauve hue, rather like
garnet shellac. Orange plus mauve equals brown I guess...