DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bath Sealant (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/233127-bath-sealant.html)

Mitch February 9th 08 10:14 AM

Bath Sealant

Is there a bath sealant system that exists that actually lasts more than
about a year? I have tried stick on strips (very poor), corner tile type
strips with sealant (better) and good old thick branded sanitary sealant
(from tubes) to seal the small (c. 2mm) gap between my plastic bath and the
wall tiles. But inevitably after about a year a small leak will develop. Has
anyone a recommendation of something that lasts a lot longer?

By the way we do use a shower in the bath which will find any potential
leak! I have checked and there is hardly any movement in the bath due to
floor flexing. Ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Si

To email: change news to views

The Natural Philosopher February 9th 08 10:25 AM

Bath Sealant

Mitch wrote:
Is there a bath sealant system that exists that actually lasts more than
about a year? I have tried stick on strips (very poor), corner tile type
strips with sealant (better) and good old thick branded sanitary sealant
(from tubes) to seal the small (c. 2mm) gap between my plastic bath and the
wall tiles. But inevitably after about a year a small leak will develop. Has
anyone a recommendation of something that lasts a lot longer?

By the way we do use a shower in the bath which will find any potential
leak! I have checked and there is hardly any movement in the bath due to
floor flexing. Ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Si

To email: change news to views

2mm isn't enough with bath flexure.

Thats why I always put slicone down first in a FAT bead, and tile UP to
the bath.

John Stumbles February 9th 08 12:28 PM

Bath Sealant

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:14:40 +0000, Mitch wrote:

Is there a bath sealant system that exists that actually lasts more than
about a year? I have tried stick on strips (very poor), corner tile type
strips with sealant (better) and good old thick branded sanitary sealant
(from tubes) to seal the small (c. 2mm) gap between my plastic bath and the
wall tiles. But inevitably after about a year a small leak will develop. Has
anyone a recommendation of something that lasts a lot longer?

By the way we do use a shower in the bath which will find any potential
leak! I have checked and there is hardly any movement in the bath due to
floor flexing. Ideas gratefully received.

I'd hope your floor isn't flexing! What about the bath itself? Plastic
ones, unless *very* expensive, tend to flap around like a sheet in the
breeze. In particular they can sag significantly when full (or water +
person). A small amount of movement will strain a 2mm sealant bead.

Silicone doesn't always bond well, especially if there's any hint of damp
on the surfaces (which is almost inevitable with repair jobs). Nowadays I
use Stixall from Toolstation (which I think is a knock-off of Sticks Like
Sh*t from Evo, though I haven't tried the latter). This does stick in the
wet, and can be smoothed down with a finger wetted in dilute washing-up
liquid, as for silicone.

--
John Stumbles

dennis@home February 9th 08 04:33 PM

Bath Sealant

"Mitch" wrote in message
Is there a bath sealant system that exists that actually lasts more than
about a year? I have tried stick on strips (very poor), corner tile type
strips with sealant (better) and good old thick branded sanitary sealant
(from tubes) to seal the small (c. 2mm) gap between my plastic bath and
the wall tiles. But inevitably after about a year a small leak will
develop. Has anyone a recommendation of something that lasts a lot longer?

By the way we do use a shower in the bath which will find any potential
leak! I have checked and there is hardly any movement in the bath due to
floor flexing. Ideas gratefully received.

If its not too late you can get sealing strips that fit behind the tiles
that should last a lot longer.

Steve Firth February 9th 08 05:19 PM

Bath Sealant

Mitch wrote:

Is there a bath sealant system that exists that actually lasts more than
about a year?

Use Evostick Nail and Seal. It's a modified silicone co-polymer that has
better adhesion and superior mechanical properties to silicone. It's
easy to clean and resists abarasives and can be sanded if necessary
(*not* recommended when used on a bath).

http://www.sweetcounter.co.uk/products/ppnailseal.htm

You can get it from B&Q but not all stores stock it.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...h_search=nail+
and+seal

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2gvhre

It cleans off easily with white spirit and makes a good sealant despite
the promotion being mostly as a glue.

The only negative with it is that it's available in one colour only,
white.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] February 9th 08 09:01 PM

Bath Sealant

Mitch brought next idea :
Is there a bath sealant system that exists that actually lasts more than
about a year? I have tried stick on strips (very poor), corner tile type
strips with sealant (better) and good old thick branded sanitary sealant
(from tubes) to seal the small (c. 2mm) gap between my plastic bath and the
wall tiles. But inevitably after about a year a small leak will develop. Has
anyone a recommendation of something that lasts a lot longer?

The stick on strips do work very well. Its a matter of making sure the
area is scrupulously clean and apply pressure all the way along them to
get them to stick firmly - a roller does this best. The only problem I
have had is with slight shrinkage back away from a cut corner.

With a plastic bath, I would suggest filling it up with water before
starting, so as to make it deform to its maximum.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Keith2.0 February 12th 08 11:35 AM

Bath Sealant

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 10:14:40 -0000, "Mitch"
wrote:

Is there a bath sealant system that exists that actually lasts more than
about a year? I have tried stick on strips (very poor), corner tile type
strips with sealant (better) and good old thick branded sanitary sealant
(from tubes) to seal the small (c. 2mm) gap between my plastic bath and the
wall tiles. But inevitably after about a year a small leak will develop. Has
anyone a recommendation of something that lasts a lot longer?

By the way we do use a shower in the bath which will find any potential
leak! I have checked and there is hardly any movement in the bath due to
floor flexing. Ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Si

To email: change news to views

Attach the bath permanently to the wall using something like solvent
based gripfill. Keep the bath full of water as it cures so it fixes in
the "full" position.

[email protected] February 15th 08 07:44 PM

Bath Sealant

wrote:
[...]

I find that 12mm plastic quadrant (buy it from plastic facia board
suppliers) is cheap and very effective. Just bed it down on good
quality silicon.