DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Infared light for night time (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/231883-infared-light-night-time.html)

George January 29th 08 06:38 PM

Infared light for night time

Diagram here if anyone interested? it can be made up on veroboard if you are
not bothered about a PCB one.

The more leds on the cicuit the better the night vision.
http://www.reject.org/tsd/liz/gbppr/...v/ir_illum.pdf

George January 31st 08 05:44 PM

Infared light for night time

"George" wrote in message
.uk...
Diagram here if anyone interested? it can be made up on veroboard if you

are
not bothered about a PCB one.

The more leds on the cicuit the better the night vision.
http://www.reject.org/tsd/liz/gbppr/...v/ir_illum.pdf

Whats the best infareds for this project,Blue or Clear? as I found this site
out of a few to be a lot cheaper in price.

http://www.esr.co.uk/Optoelectronics.PDF

TA

mick[_2_] February 1st 08 03:23 PM

Infared light for night time

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:44:11 +0000, George wrote:

"George" wrote in message
.uk...
Diagram here if anyone interested? it can be made up on veroboard if
you

are
not bothered about a PCB one.

The more leds on the cicuit the better the night vision.
http://www.reject.org/tsd/liz/gbppr/...v/ir_illum.pdf

Whats the best infareds for this project,Blue or Clear? as I found this
site out of a few to be a lot cheaper in price.

http://www.esr.co.uk/Optoelectronics.PDF

TA

Probably part number 720-530 on page 21. Those will give 80mW radiant
power each, if you adjust the resistors to put 100mA through each string
of LEDs. Using a 12v supply you could make R1-R8 15 ohms rather than 39
ohms. This is running them close to their maximum so perhaps a slightly
higher value may be better... Note that your total load current would be
400mA, so this isn't really for battery operation.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net

[email protected] February 1st 08 03:49 PM

mick wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:44:11 +0000, George wrote:
"George" wrote in message
.uk...

[...]

Why use LEDs when filament lamps radiate IR well when run at under
half rated voltage. Producing IR is the filament lamp's forte, or
weakness when you want visible.

NT

George February 1st 08 04:22 PM

wrote in message

Why use LEDs when filament lamps radiate IR well when run at under
half rated voltage. Producing IR is the filament lamp's forte, or
weakness when you want visible.

NT

Hmmm! yes I can see my electricity bill now. ;-)

ps I don't want to resemble part of blackpool illuminations

[email protected] February 1st 08 07:34 PM

George wrote:
wrote in message

Why use LEDs when filament lamps radiate IR well when run at under
half rated voltage. Producing IR is the filament lamp's forte, or
weakness when you want visible.

NT

Hmmm! yes I can see my electricity bill now. ;-)

ps I don't want to resemble part of blackpool illuminations

unclear how thats relevant here. Filament lamps are about as
efficient as LEDs at IR.

NT

George February 1st 08 07:50 PM

wrote in message
George wrote:
wrote in message

Why use LEDs when filament lamps radiate IR well when run at under
half rated voltage. Producing IR is the filament lamp's forte, or
weakness when you want visible.

NT

Hmmm! yes I can see my electricity bill now. ;-)

ps I don't want to resemble part of blackpool illuminations

unclear how thats relevant here. Filament lamps are about as
efficient as LEDs at IR.

NT

IR Leds will last cosiderably a lot longer than filament bulbs.

mick[_2_] February 1st 08 08:31 PM

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 19:50:30 +0000, George wrote:

wrote in message
George wrote:
wrote in message

Why use LEDs when filament lamps radiate IR well when run at under
half rated voltage. Producing IR is the filament lamp's forte, or
weakness when you want visible.

NT

Hmmm! yes I can see my electricity bill now. ;-)

ps I don't want to resemble part of blackpool illuminations

unclear how thats relevant here. Filament lamps are about as efficient
as LEDs at IR.

NT

IR Leds will last cosiderably a lot longer than filament bulbs.

I suspect that they will be much more efficient than filament bulbs as
the energy produced is monofrequency and the beam width is quite narrow
(40 degrees for the part number given). Filament bulbs waste a lot of
power radiating well into the visible region (even at half voltage) and
also radiate in all directions.

It would be interesting to test this.

geoff February 1st 08 09:32 PM

Infared light for night time

In message , George
writes

wrote in message
George wrote:
wrote in message

Why use LEDs when filament lamps radiate IR well when run at under
half rated voltage. Producing IR is the filament lamp's forte, or
weakness when you want visible.

NT

Hmmm! yes I can see my electricity bill now. ;-)

ps I don't want to resemble part of blackpool illuminations

unclear how thats relevant here. Filament lamps are about as
efficient as LEDs at IR.

NT

IR Leds will last cosiderably a lot longer than filament bulbs.

How much longer will a filament lamp last at 50% it's rated voltage ?

--
geoff

geoff February 2nd 08 12:13 AM

Infared light for night time

In message , writes
On 1 Feb,
geoff wrote:

How much longer will a filament lamp last at 50% it's rated voltage ?

From experience of using two in series in a past life, I'd say for ever,
unless they were 15w pigmy.

S'wot I was thinking

I used to use pigmys as loads for soak tests and found that even they
lasted almost forever when run at lower voltages

--
geoff