Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Completely & Utterly OT; Handyman charges

Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I did head the post accordingly!

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin. I'm constantly
booked up for weeks ahead & the Fair Trader thing is generating extra
business - I also feel it adds value to my services (I'm the only accredited
handyman in the scheme).

If anyone would care to comment I'd appreciate your thoughts. Off group if
you prefer

The charges are on my site
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

Thanks in advance.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I did head the post accordingly!

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin. I'm constantly
booked up for weeks ahead & the Fair Trader thing is generating extra
business - I also feel it adds value to my services (I'm the only accredited
handyman in the scheme).

If anyone would care to comment I'd appreciate your thoughts. Off group if
you prefer

The charges are on my site
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

Thanks in advance.

To increase your margins, I would put your first hour up to £49-95 and
pro rata after that. Costs have gone up in the last year, so why have
yours not?

I went to my local ex Rover garage today to have 2 stop/tail lights
changed and he only charged £2-00. . The bulbs must cost that much. I
told him that it was too cheap, but he said that it was customer service
and that it would bring more custom back. But £1-00 for a bulb change
looks like too small a cost to me.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I did head the post accordingly!

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it
easier to communicate to customers and secondly to increase my
margin. I'm constantly booked up for weeks ahead & the Fair Trader
thing is generating extra business - I also feel it adds value to my
services (I'm the only accredited handyman in the scheme).

If anyone would care to comment I'd appreciate your thoughts. Off
group if you prefer

The charges are on my site
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm
Thanks in advance.

I assume it would be preferable to both you and your clients if you did full
days rather than an hour here and an hour there?
If it were me, I'd charge minimum £50, then £25 PH thereafter, or a full day
for £200...but you need to be careful, part of the reason your orderbook is
full is because of the charges, and once customers are lost, they are lost
forever.

If you are managing comfortably at this moment in time (and you should be),
I'd be tempted to leave things as they are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:43:14 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin.

The first hour/subsequent hours doesn't seem too hard for anyone you'd
want to have as a customer :-)

As for actual figures, someone once said that you should expect to lose
half of your leads on price!

--
John Stumbles

This sig intentionally left blank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-17 22:43:14 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I did head the post accordingly!

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin. I'm constantly
booked up for weeks ahead & the Fair Trader thing is generating extra
business - I also feel it adds value to my services (I'm the only accredited
handyman in the scheme).

If anyone would care to comment I'd appreciate your thoughts. Off group if
you prefer

The charges are on my site
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

Thanks in advance.

I think that this is a good structure and reasonable price points.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-17 23:16:43 +0000, Dave said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

I think that there is truth in that, but I don't like £49.95. It
looks like a cheap shop gimmick for £50. £45 or £55 looks better IMV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-17 23:44:11 +0000, John Stumbles said:

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:43:14 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin.

The first hour/subsequent hours doesn't seem too hard for anyone you'd
want to have as a customer :-)

As for actual figures, someone once said that you should expect to lose
half of your leads on price!

.... or be in a business where there isn't competition on price....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I did head the post accordingly!

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin. I'm
constantly booked up for weeks ahead & the Fair Trader thing is generating
extra business - I also feel it adds value to my services (I'm the only
accredited handyman in the scheme).

If anyone would care to comment I'd appreciate your thoughts. Off group
if you prefer

The charges are on my site
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

The daily charges are in line with what I've just paid to have a doorway put
between two of my factories. However, having said that, I thought it was a
bit steep and, if it had not been a friend of a friend, I would probably
have looked for someone a bit cheaper.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I did head the post accordingly!

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin. I'm
constantly booked up for weeks ahead & the Fair Trader thing is generating
extra business - I also feel it adds value to my services (I'm the only
accredited handyman in the scheme).

If anyone would care to comment I'd appreciate your thoughts. Off group
if you prefer

The charges are on my site
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

Thanks in advance.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Too cheap. If you charged out 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 48 weeks of
the year - extremely unlikely - you would still only be pulling in £42,000 a
year - before all your costs (except materials). Your skills are worth more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rrh wrote:
[...]

Without wishing to sound disrespectful, for a Handyman I would suggest
the prices sound quite reasonable. Let's not bump the price of a
Handyman into the realms of the saintly professional plumbers and sparks.

I suppose only TMH can answer this - look at your average weekly hours
charged, and decide then that the business can bring in a respectable
wage. Although I'm guessing that is precisely what you have done with
your post.

For what it's worth - I'd be more inclined to "get a man in", having
seen a published charge list - and the prices you charge appear fair,
than doing a lot of the DIY myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-18 07:56:25 +0000, Mike Dodd said:

rrh wrote:
[...]

I think that the prices are quite reasonable, although as you say, he
could get more, in stages. From past discussions, the catchment area
is one of people who are (relatively) cash rich and time poor and who
may well not feel that they can tackle DIY jobs anyway - for example
putting together IKEA furniture.

So the comparison is not one of "do I DIY?" or "do I get a man in?" but
of "are the prices and timescale reasonable as compared with possibly
a collection of single tradespeople?". The second case is less price
sensitive because people are willing to pay for convenience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I went to my local ex Rover garage today to have 2 stop/tail lights
changed and he only charged £2-00. . The bulbs must cost that much. I told
him that it was too cheap, but he said that it was customer service and
that it would bring more custom back. But £1-00 for a bulb change looks
like too small a cost to me.

Dave

It's known as 'a sprat to catch a mackerel'. ie. They hope to lure you in
when you need a big job doing.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I think that there is truth in that, but I don't like £49.95. It looks
like a cheap shop gimmick for £50. £45 or £55 looks better IMV.

After reading my last night's post, I tend to agree with you about that.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

I went to my local ex Rover garage today to have 2 stop/tail lights
changed and he only charged £2-00. . The bulbs must cost that much. I told
him that it was too cheap, but he said that it was customer service and
that it would bring more custom back. But £1-00 for a bulb change looks
like too small a cost to me.

Dave

It's known as 'a sprat to catch a mackerel'. ie. They hope to lure you in
when you need a big job doing.

I trust him completely. There are only 3 garages in England that I would
trust to do work on my cars and he is one of them. He started his
business from the ashes of Rover's Phoenix dealership when they went
bust. He has done lots of little jobs and never charged for them, to the
extent that I am now getting embarrassed after I ask how much and he
says nothing, its customer service.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:43:14 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I did head the post accordingly!

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin. I'm constantly
booked up for weeks ahead & the Fair Trader thing is generating extra
business - I also feel it adds value to my services (I'm the only accredited
handyman in the scheme).

If anyone would care to comment I'd appreciate your thoughts. Off group if
you prefer

The charges are on my site
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

Thanks in advance.

Reduce the differential between your 1 hour and 8 hour rates but don't
increase the rates for 8 hours. I would be baulking at paying more
than 175 quid a day for a 'handyman' (no offence meant) whereas I'd
consider 45 quid for the first hour (where all your costs are) quite
reasonable. Around here (oop north) tradespeople look to earn 150
quid per day ish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:43:14 GMT,it is alleged that "The Medway
Handyman" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I did head the post accordingly!

I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin. I'm constantly
booked up for weeks ahead & the Fair Trader thing is generating extra
business - I also feel it adds value to my services (I'm the only accredited
handyman in the scheme).

If anyone would care to comment I'd appreciate your thoughts. Off group if
you prefer

The charges are on my site
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

Thanks in advance.

The prices look very reasonable to me, the only comment I have from
viewing that page is (unrelated to the prices):

The logo at the top left takes a few seconds to load, even on
broadband: if any of your customers are on dialup (a few might still
be), the load time would be extreme, which might put them off, it may
be better to resize it in photoshop or similar rather than using the
browser to resize it. Having said that, it's probably nitpicking, your
customers might not be Victor Meldrew's relatives g)

--
_
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign against html e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

I think that there is truth in that, but I don't like £49.95. It
looks like a cheap shop gimmick for £50. £45 or £55 looks better
IMV.

After reading my last night's post, I tend to agree with you about
that.

Me too - £49.95 looks like Netto, £55 looks like M&S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI All

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:05:09 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

Dave wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

I think that there is truth in that, but I don't like £49.95. It
looks like a cheap shop gimmick for £50. £45 or £55 looks better
IMV.

After reading my last night's post, I tend to agree with you about
that.

Me too - £49.95 looks like Netto, £55 looks like M&S.

I've agonised over that one as well (with my glass crafts
on the open-air markets).

Eventually decided on pricing pretty much everything in multiples of 5
euro - saves a heck of a lot of mental gynastics working out totals,
and carrying around loads of coin change -
and I don't think that customers are fooled anymore by the ' €24.99 is
much cheaper than €25.00' trick....

Shor myself in the foot in the run-up towards Christmas - offered 10%
off everything - (worked well!) - but used up loads of coins to give
people their discount...

They do say that it still works for larger purchases like cars and
houses - don;t know how true that is ? Got a car to sell in the near
future - maybe I'll try the €XX,750 approach and see if it works...?

I think the 'Netto VS M&S' simile is a good one for the craft sales
though - thanks guys !

Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I did head the post accordingly!
I've decided to review my pricing structure, firstly to make it easier to
communicate to customers and secondly to increase my margin. I'm
constantly booked up for weeks ahead & the Fair Trader thing is generating
extra business - I also feel it adds value to my services (I'm the only
accredited handyman in the scheme).
If anyone would care to comment I'd appreciate your thoughts. Off group
if you prefer
The charges are on my site
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Just a tiny thing...
the first hour says "inc travel"
Does that mean you charge for the travelling time, or just for the time
actually spent at the customer?
(sorry to be a pedent, comes from having to interpret requirements docs.)
cheers,
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI All

wrote:

Dave wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

I think that there is truth in that, but I don't like £49.95. It
looks like a cheap shop gimmick for £50. £45 or £55 looks better
IMV.

After reading my last night's post, I tend to agree with you about
that.

Me too - £49.95 looks like Netto, £55 looks like M&S.

I've agonised over that one as well (with my glass crafts
on the open-air markets).

Eventually decided on pricing pretty much everything in multiples of 5
euro - saves a heck of a lot of mental gynastics working out totals,
and carrying around loads of coin change -
and I don't think that customers are fooled anymore by the ' €24.99 is
much cheaper than €25.00' trick....

No. Especially as presumably you are not selling junk.

Do you remember that some goods (especially consumer electricals) used
to be priced in Guineas? This was effectively the opposite way up.

Shor myself in the foot in the run-up towards Christmas - offered 10%
off everything - (worked well!) - but used up loads of coins to give
people their discount...

They do say that it still works for larger purchases like cars and
houses - don;t know how true that is ? Got a car to sell in the near
future - maybe I'll try the €XX,750 approach and see if it works...?

XX+1,250 or XX+1,500 would be better. Then you can come down.

I think the 'Netto VS M&S' simile is a good one for the craft sales
though - thanks guys !

... and hopefully you have better than M&S offerings anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Andy

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:29:40 +0000, Andy Hall

HI All

wrote:

Dave wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

I think that there is truth in that, but I don't like £49.95. It
looks like a cheap shop gimmick for £50. £45 or £55 looks better
IMV.

After reading my last night's post, I tend to agree with you about
that.

Me too - £49.95 looks like Netto, £55 looks like M&S.

I've agonised over that one as well (with my glass crafts
on the open-air markets).

Eventually decided on pricing pretty much everything in multiples of 5
euro - saves a heck of a lot of mental gynastics working out totals,
and carrying around loads of coin change -
and I don't think that customers are fooled anymore by the ' €24.99 is
much cheaper than €25.00' trick....

No. Especially as presumably you are not selling junk.

That's what I felt - but modesty forbids g

Do you remember that some goods (especially consumer electricals) used
to be priced in Guineas? This was effectively the opposite way up.

Oh yes - that dates us both, doesn't it ?
Gentlemens' Suits, as well.....

Twas on odd unit - the guinea -
according to wiki
"the term guinea survives in some circles, notably horse racing and in
the sale of rams" - so there you go ....

Shor myself in the foot in the run-up towards Christmas - offered 10%
off everything - (worked well!) - but used up loads of coins to give
people their discount...

They do say that it still works for larger purchases like cars and
houses - don;t know how true that is ? Got a car to sell in the near
future - maybe I'll try the €XX,750 approach and see if it works...?

XX+1,250 or XX+1,500 would be better. Then you can come down.

Yes - that's sort of what I meant - but the algebra defeated me...

I think the 'Netto VS M&S' simile is a good one for the craft sales
though - thanks guys !

.. and hopefully you have better than M&S offerings anyway.

Oh I do hope so........

Interesting, if not a little disturbing really...
I was at an event before Christmas where I was selling my handmade
glass - pair of one-off earrings on silver for 20 euro - that sort of
price range.

Nice fellow on the next stall was very proud of the fact that he'd
bought all of his stock wholesale for the USA (and presumably they
bought it from China). Showed me a beaded bracelet priced at 30 euro -
proudly told me that it only cost him 4 dollars - and indicated that
was the level of markup he expected on all of his stock....

Thing is, I'd not be happy just buying it in, marking it up and
selling it on - it's the making / creating that's the kick for me...

....guess I'd be a lot richer, though ! g

Ho hum
Adrina
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm Dave - The Medway
Handyman www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Just a tiny thing...
the first hour says "inc travel"
Does that mean you charge for the travelling time, or just for the
time actually spent at the customer?
(sorry to be a pedent, comes from having to interpret requirements
docs.) cheers,

The time actually spent at the customers. In the paragraph above it says
"The first hour on site is charged at £45".

Do you feel that clears it up? Or could you suggest some better wording?
Open to ideas :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chip wrote:
[...]

No problem at this end downloading the page. It is presented instantly.

Dave Using bt openworld.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:47:26 +0000, Dave wrote:

The logo at the top left takes a few seconds to load, even on
broadband:

No problem at this end downloading the page. It is presented instantly.

Dave Using bt openworld.

The logo image took a few seconds to be fully loaded over an average
broadband connection. Not surprising as it it over 1/2 a Megabyte. For fun
I resized it to 295 x 146 (same size as the one on the web page is scaled
to) the resultant file is just 14 kilobytes and actually looks better )no
jaggies) as the graphics package resize does a better job than the
browsers on the fly rescaling.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:47:26 +0000, Dave wrote:

The logo at the top left takes a few seconds to load, even on
broadband:

No problem at this end downloading the page. It is presented
instantly.

Dave Using bt openworld.

The logo image took a few seconds to be fully loaded over an average
broadband connection. Not surprising as it it over 1/2 a Megabyte.
For fun I resized it to 295 x 146 (same size as the one on the web
page is scaled to) the resultant file is just 14 kilobytes and
actually looks better )no jaggies) as the graphics package resize
does a better job than the browsers on the fly rescaling.

Point taken. Sorry to be dim, but how would I resize it? What software?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:47:26 +0000, Dave wrote:

The logo at the top left takes a few seconds to load, even on
broadband:

No problem at this end downloading the page. It is presented
instantly.

Dave Using bt openworld.

The logo image took a few seconds to be fully loaded over an average
broadband connection. Not surprising as it it over 1/2 a Megabyte.
For fun I resized it to 295 x 146 (same size as the one on the web
page is scaled to) the resultant file is just 14 kilobytes and
actually looks better )no jaggies) as the graphics package resize
does a better job than the browsers on the fly rescaling.

Point taken. Sorry to be dim, but how would I resize it? What software?

It's 80K on my machine. Ah, no, it's 80K on the main page, vis 0.5M on the
"www" one.

http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

vs

http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/charges.htm

or

http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/_bor...20logo%20c.jpg

vs

http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/...20logo%20c.jpg

So you've already sorted it out, you just need to get rid of the "www"
version.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:30:17 -0000, Clive George wrote:

It's 80K on my machine. Ah, no, it's 80K on the main page, vis 0.5M on
the "www" one.

80k is still a bit excessive for fairly small and simple image. It also
still suffers the browser rescaling jaggies as the image is still 1560 x
748 pixels...

Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro will do the resizing or any number of other
probably freeware utilities out there. I'll see if I can demunge Dave's
address and send him my rescaled 14kb version.

On the charges look OK to me. Table is "complicated" for what is
essentially saying £20/hr after the first hour with a £10 discount for an
8 hour pre-booked day.

Why is there a back tick after the £125?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:30:17 -0000, Clive George wrote:

It's 80K on my machine. Ah, no, it's 80K on the main page, vis 0.5M
on the "www" one.

80k is still a bit excessive for fairly small and simple image. It
also still suffers the browser rescaling jaggies as the image is
still 1560 x 748 pixels...

Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro will do the resizing or any number of
other probably freeware utilities out there. I'll see if I can
demunge Dave's address and send him my rescaled 14kb version.

And thank you very much Dave. I've changed the image. I appreciate your
help.

On the charges look OK to me. Table is "complicated" for what is
essentially saying £20/hr after the first hour with a £10 discount
for an 8 hour pre-booked day.

Many people are simply bad at math :-) Its a summary for the hard of
thinking.

Why is there a back tick after the £125?

No Idea - but its gone now!

Once again, many thanks.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:30:17 -0000, Clive George wrote:

It's 80K on my machine. Ah, no, it's 80K on the main page, vis 0.5M on
the "www" one.

80k is still a bit excessive for fairly small and simple image. It also
still suffers the browser rescaling jaggies as the image is still 1560 x
748 pixels...

295 x 146 pixels here...

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:19:48 -0000, Clive George wrote:

It also still suffers the browser rescaling jaggies as the image is
still 1560 x 748 pixels...

295 x 146 pixels here...

That is the size your browser is scaling the image to fit.

I've sent David my small version which he now (1013) has online on both
copies of his site(*). Curiously even this small image is being rescaled
to 254 x 132 rather than leaving it at it's native 295 x 146 that was the
orginal scaled size on his site. This produces some wobbles in the
"straight" lines, looks like the artist had the shakes when they drew it.
B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:19:48 -0000, Clive George wrote:

It also still suffers the browser rescaling jaggies as the image is
still 1560 x 748 pixels...

295 x 146 pixels here...

That is the size your browser is scaling the image to fit.

I've sent David my small version which he now (1013) has online on both
copies of his site(*). Curiously even this small image is being rescaled
to 254 x 132 rather than leaving it at it's native 295 x 146 that was the
orginal scaled size on his site. This produces some wobbles in the
"straight" lines, looks like the artist had the shakes when they drew it.
B-)

Nothing curious - the tag still reads img border="0"
src="_borders/handyman%20logo%20c%20small.jpg" align="left" width="254"
height="132"/p

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:22:10 +0000, Si wrote:

Nothing curious - the tag still reads img border="0"
src="_borders/handyman%20logo%20c%20small.jpg" align="left" width="254"
height="132"/p

Well yes. What is curious is why the image is being scaled at all. It
doesn't need it. The image I sent was the same pixel size as the scaled,
massive, one on the site. Scaling even the small version produces some
artifacts.

I forgot to ask why there are two copies of the site as well most peculiar
and probably makes maintenace twice as hard as it should be and error
prone.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:22:10 +0000, Si wrote:

Nothing curious - the tag still reads img border="0"
src="_borders/handyman%20logo%20c%20small.jpg" align="left"
width="254" height="132"/p

Well yes. What is curious is why the image is being scaled at all. It
doesn't need it. The image I sent was the same pixel size as the
scaled, massive, one on the site. Scaling even the small version
produces some artifacts.

I forgot to ask why there are two copies of the site as well most
peculiar and probably makes maintenace twice as hard as it should be
and error prone.

Two copies? I know not of what you speak?

--
Dave - The Confused Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:14:21 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I forgot to ask why there are two copies of the site as well most
peculiar and probably makes maintenace twice as hard as it should be
and error prone.

Two copies? I know not of what you speak?

http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/charges.htm

and

http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

Though depending on how your server is set up they may actually only be
one copy but somewhere down this thread the logo was a different file
between the two URLs. Which indicates they aren't a single copy with two
URLs referencing it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:14:21 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I forgot to ask why there are two copies of the site as well most
peculiar and probably makes maintenace twice as hard as it should be
and error prone.

Two copies? I know not of what you speak?

http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/charges.htm

and

http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/www/charges.htm

Though depending on how your server is set up they may actually only
be one copy but somewhere down this thread the logo was a different
file between the two URLs. Which indicates they aren't a single copy
with two URLs referencing it.

No idea what thats all about or how it happened. Does it matter?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:41:47 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

No idea what thats all about or how it happened. Does it matter?

Only if the serch engines find two sets of pages and you aren't keeping
both sets up to date. Or if you are paying for disc space and have a
duplicate set takes you into higher charges (unlikely).

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:41:47 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

No idea what thats all about or how it happened. Does it matter?

Only if the serch engines find two sets of pages and you aren't
keeping both sets up to date. Or if you are paying for disc space and
have a duplicate set takes you into higher charges (unlikely).

I think I've got rid of it now :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:46:28 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro will do the resizing or any number of other
probably freeware utilities out there.

Suggest the gimp for serious photoshop-level editing[1] and you can
probably install ImageMagick on windoze, which gives you various
commands (command-line not gui) such as 'convert' for doing various
conversions and transformation on images, of which rescaling to a given
size is but one.

[1] the gimp is not a photoshop clone (although there's a plug-in for it
which emulates some photoshop functions) but a powerful bitmap graphics
editor in its own right

--
John Stumbles

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:46:28 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro will do the resizing or any number of other
probably freeware utilities out there.

Suggest the gimp for serious photoshop-level editing

One of the useful things PSP can do is selective cloning. The user
selects a paintbrush (size/shape/density/opacity etc.) then right clicks
an area in an image to select the source. Left clicking elsewhere then
clones from one place to another with all the attributes previously
selected. This useful for hiding minor blemishes in a textured area. I
was unable to find this facility in the Gimp when I tried it.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Si wrote:
One of the useful things PSP can do is selective cloning. The user
selects a paintbrush (size/shape/density/opacity etc.) then right
clicks an area in an image to select the source. Left clicking
elsewhere then clones from one place to another with all the attributes
previously selected. This useful for hiding minor blemishes in a
textured area.

With suitable 'fractal' backgrounds such as lawn and Leylandii, it can
hide blemishes the size of a garden shed.

I was unable to find this facility in the Gimp when I tried it.

Well, of course you couldn't.

--
Ian White