DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   The Posi-drive screw (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/230085-re-posi-drive-screw.html)

jal January 16th 08 02:13 PM

The Posi-drive screw

In article ,
"George" wrote:

what a naff invention...why couldn't they just put a square hole instead of
the cross hole?

Then again it was a yank idea

I bought Pozidrives when they first came out -- you could even buy a
special Pozidrive screwdriver, which I also invested in.

Are all screws Pozidrives now? I don't see the brandname in the sheds
when I go.

BTW: I thought (and still think) that in the hardware line they were the
best thing since - er - sliced bread. Coo -- they don't half screw in
quick! And Tough!

J.

Lobster January 16th 08 03:04 PM

The Posi-drive screw

jal wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:

what a naff invention...why couldn't they just put a square hole instead of
the cross hole?

Then again it was a yank idea

I bought Pozidrives when they first came out -- you could even buy a
special Pozidrive screwdriver, which I also invested in.

Are all screws Pozidrives now? I don't see the brandname in the sheds
when I go.

I think Pro-drive is more common these days - AFAIK the same thing?

There are certainly other different formats around; eg drywall screws
always seem to be Philips, which means continually swapping between
identically sized Philips/Prodrive bits or screwdrivers.

David

The Medway Handyman January 16th 08 07:58 PM

The Posi-drive screw

Lobster wrote:
jal wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:

what a naff invention...why couldn't they just put a square hole
instead of the cross hole?

Then again it was a yank idea

I bought Pozidrives when they first came out -- you could even buy a
special Pozidrive screwdriver, which I also invested in.

Are all screws Pozidrives now? I don't see the brandname in the
sheds when I go.

I think Pro-drive is more common these days - AFAIK the same thing?

There are certainly other different formats around; eg drywall screws
always seem to be Philips, which means continually swapping between
identically sized Philips/Prodrive bits or screwdrivers.

Piggin annoying that innit? Most flat pack is also a mixture of pozi &
phillips fixings.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

dennis@home January 16th 08 08:50 PM

The Posi-drive screw

"jal" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

what a naff invention...why couldn't they just put a square hole instead
of
the cross hole?

Then again it was a yank idea

I bought Pozidrives when they first came out -- you could even buy a
special Pozidrive screwdriver, which I also invested in.

Are all screws Pozidrives now? I don't see the brandname in the sheds
when I go.

BTW: I thought (and still think) that in the hardware line they were the
best thing since - er - sliced bread. Coo -- they don't half screw in
quick! And Tough!

You should use torx socket screws.
They are positive unlike pozidrive.
Very popular in Germany from what I have seen.. not so popular here.

dennis@home January 16th 08 08:53 PM

The Posi-drive screw

"Lobster" wrote in message
jal wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:

what a naff invention...why couldn't they just put a square hole instead
of
the cross hole?

Then again it was a yank idea

I bought Pozidrives when they first came out -- you could even buy a
special Pozidrive screwdriver, which I also invested in.

Are all screws Pozidrives now? I don't see the brandname in the sheds
when I go.

I think Pro-drive is more common these days - AFAIK the same thing?

There are certainly other different formats around; eg drywall screws
always seem to be Philips, which means continually swapping between
identically sized Philips/Prodrive bits or screwdrivers.

The driver wouldn't slip out of the head when it was supposed to if it were
pozi.
Those auto-feed guns would be a lot more difficult to make.

Dave Liquorice January 16th 08 09:15 PM

The Posi-drive screw

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:13:49 +0000, jal wrote:

Are all screws Pozidrives now? I don't see the brandname in the sheds
when I go.

Naw they are mixture of Phillips, Pozi ad Pro drive. You just need to
select the correct bit for the screw you are about to drive. Pozi and Pro
are close enough but miss-matching phillips with pozi/pro is asking for
trouble. Bits and screws are easy enough to tell apart though.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Skipweasel January 16th 08 09:39 PM

The Posi-drive screw

In article ,
says...
Piggin annoying that innit? Most flat pack is also a mixture of pozi &
phillips fixings.

Always seems to be 4mm Allen to me.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

The Medway Handyman January 16th 08 11:15 PM

The Posi-drive screw

Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...
Piggin annoying that innit? Most flat pack is also a mixture of
pozi & phillips fixings.

Always seems to be 4mm Allen to me.

Depends on the make. IKEA use 4mm allen on their Confirmat screws, Wickes
kitchen units use No3 pozi on Confirmats. Most flatpack includes normal
woodscrews which are either pozi or phillips, but often a mixture of both.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Doctor Drivel January 22nd 08 07:06 PM

The Posi-drive screw

On 2008-01-16, Lobster wrote:
jal wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:

what a naff invention...why couldn't they just put a square hole
instead of
the cross hole?

Then again it was a yank idea

I bought Pozidrives when they first came out -- you could even buy a
special Pozidrive screwdriver, which I also invested in.

Are all screws Pozidrives now? I don't see the brandname in the sheds
when I go.

I think Pro-drive is more common these days - AFAIK the same thing?

There are certainly other different formats around;

Some good articles on Wikipedia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv

It says: "The chief disadvantage of Pozidriv screws is that they are far
less common than Phillips"

Most screws now are Posi. They appear to have taken over the market.

Dave Plowman (News) January 22nd 08 07:15 PM

The Posi-drive screw

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Some good articles on Wikipedia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv

It says: "The chief disadvantage of Pozidriv screws is that they are far
less common than Phillips"

Probably Merkin since it doesn't mention GKN.

Most screws now are Posi. They appear to have taken over the market.

They were a great advance on Phillips since day one.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Drivel January 22nd 08 08:49 PM

The Posi-drive screw

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Some good articles on Wikipedia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv

It says: "The chief disadvantage of Pozidriv screws is that they are far
less common than Phillips"

Probably

Please eff off as you are a plantpot.