Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Belmont radiator valve O-rings.

On these valves, the seals can be replaced, by removing the
spindle. Just checked with Pegler, £1.34 per O-ring! I have
several old valves to maintain. Does anyone know of any similar O-
ring that may work OK? - I don't know the exact size. I would not
think the material is that critical, only water and Fernox in the
system. Any advice much appreciated, thank-you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 3:02*pm, ChipMonk wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 04:31:03 -0800 (PST), 4square

wrote:
On these valves, *the seals can be replaced, *by removing the
spindle. * Just checked with Pegler, *£1.34 per O-ring! * I have
several old valves to maintain. *Does anyone know of any similar O-
ring that may work OK? - I don't know the exact size. * *I would not
think the material is that critical, *only water and Fernox in the
system. * Any advice much appreciated, *thank-you.

I share your pain! I have 17 radiators, each with two Pegler/Belmont
valves, each valve requiring 2 O-rings. The system is 35 years old but
in reasonable condition thanks to Fernox. A few years ago I needed to
replace the O-rings, found I could only get them from Pegler and the
price was crazy. I kicked up a stink and got a reasonable reduction in
the price but it was still a rip-off. The problem is complicated by
the fact that some valves have "notched" spindles others don't and
they require different O-rings (red or green). Also the bathroom
radiators on the gravity feed have larger 1/2" valves, notched and
un-notched! If anyone knows of generic O-rings to meet these 4
combinations I'd also be most grateful.

Thanks

ChipMonk

I should add, the chap I spoke to at Pegler this morning did say
there wasn't a lot of difference between red and green, but didn't
say how much! In the shed just now, I applied the trusty Aldi
digital caliper to a new red o-ring I have, and although tricky to
measure soft materials accurately, it seems to be 1/16 inch by half-
inch OD. The material is softer than some ordinary o-rings I got at B
& Q, but some of them are the right size - they are in packets
according to material dia., not OD. I might try to contact a trade
seals supplier, and find out about different materials. My house is
1964, original rads. and valves. I don't like replacing things
unless essential!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
4square writes

I should add, the chap I spoke to at Pegler this morning did say
there wasn't a lot of difference between red and green, but didn't
say how much! In the shed just now, I applied the trusty Aldi
digital caliper to a new red o-ring I have, and although tricky to
measure soft materials accurately, it seems to be 1/16 inch by half-
inch OD. The material is softer than some ordinary o-rings I got at B
& Q, but some of them are the right size - they are in packets
according to material dia., not OD. I might try to contact a trade
seals supplier, and find out about different materials. My house is
1964, original rads. and valves. I don't like replacing things
unless essential!

I've found http://rswww.com a useful one-stop shop for this sort of
stuff and their data is good, nitrile 1/2" o/d by 1/16" material is size
BS012, RS code 689-631, 2.11+vat for 50. At those prices you can afford
to buy a range of sizes. RS will deal with individuals via the website
no problem but can get a bit arsey at the trade counters.

Alternatively, use their data to select, then buy from a local
engineering supplier using the BS size/code.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Just buy a selection box for about a tenner. If you start to run out of
the size you need then you may be able to get a large number from BES or
such like.

Old Takara Belmont Barber Chair Hydraulics darryl Home Repair 3 May 23rd 16 06:44 AM
Lockshield vs Radiator Valve anon UK diy 6 June 5th 06 07:03 PM
Valve,Butterfly valve,Globe valve,Check valve,Ball valve,Plug valve,Marine valve,Gate valve,Flow control valve [email protected] UK diy 1 April 17th 06 10:29 AM
radiator valve much_to_do UK diy 1 October 19th 03 11:09 PM
Radiator valve to radiator tail coupling Lee Wright UK diy 1 August 22nd 03 11:11 AM