DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   slate fireplace restoration (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/2299-slate-fireplace-restoration.html)

Gillianpirie September 29th 03 10:11 AM

slate fireplace restoration

We have just removed wood effect paint from a victorian slate fireplace. It has
removed most of the lacquer. What is the best way to treat this fireplace? Can
anyone recomend a lacquer?

Andy Farrall September 29th 03 10:29 AM

slate fireplace restoration

The wood effect paint you have just removed may well have been the original
finish. The two most common forms of finish to victorian slate fire
surrounds was wood grain or marble effect. If you want to leave the slate
surround bare use fine steel wool to prepare the surface and finish with
linseed oil. Apply oil by paintbrush and buff with a lint free cloth.

If you want to resurrect a traditional finish there are many proffesionals
out there that can do wood grain and marble paint effects.

Gillianpirie September 29th 03 10:41 AM

slate fireplace restoration

Thanks,
There was a marble effect underneath the wood grain. I will try the linseed oil

The Natural Philosopher September 29th 03 01:02 PM

Ben Harrington wrote:

Gillianpirie wrote:

We have just removed wood effect paint from a victorian slate fireplace. It has
removed most of the lacquer. What is the best way to treat this fireplace? Can
anyone recomend a lacquer?

Try WD40.

Try contacting Lithofin..they do a range of finishes for stone. They
have a web site - do a search.

Ben

pooh August 20th 12 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillianpirie (Post 17592)
We have just removed wood effect paint from a victorian slate fireplace. It has
removed most of the lacquer. What is the best way to treat this fireplace? Can
anyone recomend a lacquer?

I have saved a slate fireplace surround from a house that burned and later demolished. The house was built in 1850. The fireplace has around 5 coats of paint... I have scraped several layers off near the top which was exposed to more heat. I have used paint remover for a small piece and for the medallion/keystone.

Questions: could the extreme heat of the fire adversely affected the slate?
The mantel piece is broken. Is it possible to fix with epoxy and/or some brackets on the underside and caulk over the crack?

thank-you!